Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 20 July 2014 at 11:24AM
    Options
    Step 1 was coming on here
    Step 2 I have just opened a new bank account online ,I feel so scared

I can sympathise with how you feel, I was once where you are now, I don't know what I thought was going to happen if I couldn't pay my credit cards, loans etc, imagined all sorts of things, people knocking on the door demanding money, house repossessed, bailiffs and the like, but you know what, none of that happened, the sky did not fall in, the sun did not fail to rise the next morning, yes I got phone calls, and back in the early 2000`s DCA`s were breaking every rule in the book threatening allsorts of things, that was easily sorted by changing my phone number and going ex-directory, got letters by the bucket full, all filed safe and secure in the recycle bin.
    Things have changed somewhat these days, lenders and DCA`s have to be more carful how they treat people, of course there is always the exception.
    I started out on a DMP, but soon realised it would take forever to pay off all my debt, and got approved for an IVA in 2008.
    My biggest debt was to my old bank, first Direct, who were a fantastic bank, and were great throughout my IVA, as my biggest creditor, they held a lot of sway, and never let me down.
    Now 6 years later, I have just been approved for a new bank account with first Direct again, my slate is clean, and I can start over, I am so pleased with myself today, as I appear to have now come full circle, so hang in there, it is possible.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • timeforaction_2
    Options
    My biggest creditor is my bank Barclays I owe 14 k on a loan and 10k on a Barclaycard I just want to feel free
  • timeforaction_2
    Options
    Thanks Sourcrates for your reply there is light at the end of the tunnel
  • changeforbetter
    Options
    Hi timeforaction

I see a lot of similarity between my own case and yours. I am deep in debt, and also my partner does not know about this (she knows I have debt, but thinks about 20% of what it really is.

If you have never previously told her about this debt, then I suggest you do it - my problem is that I was there before, and now stupidly went back on my promises, so I'm still hiding from this in some ways.

I'm also part self employed, and maybe only so in future - so we are similar in that way too.

All the best, and I hope we can both solve our problems.
  • leicestersq
    Options
    Hi Sourcrates I don't understand what a DCA is .are they not Bailiffs ? sorry if I appear stupid

You are not stupid if when you dont know what something means, you ask the question. Pretending you do know what something means when you dont, that is a different matter.

Has anyone asked you to post a statement of account?

I think you should. I think that the time you spend doing this will be well worth it. I bet most people who put them together learn more about their own finances doing that then any other single exercise you could ever do. The comments you will receive afterwards will probably only tell you what you have just learned about yourself anyway.

Good luck on your journey.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport