Would you go to a concert on your own?

Comments

• jahlboy wrote: »
    The same happened to my Son when he was 15 and went to see Nicki Minaj last year - I can't stand her (neither can his friends!) but appreciate that he liked her so he decided to go on his own, out of his own choice!

If it's the O2 in London you're on about then every show I've been to there, people are friendly, and if not, are too interested in their own business to notice! I find it acceptable, not everyone has the same interests and why should you not have fun because your friend doesn't want to?! Only if you're comfortable with it though!

And regarding the streetwise bit - I went to see Beyonce back in 2009 with my Son and was scared to death that it would be filled with gangsters and we'd get robbed because of the genre of music - much the opposite - it was mostly people like you, so there's nothing to be afraid of in that aspect!

If you've never been to the O2 before, the tubes always run, although big queues after the shows, and there are lots of stewards around should you need help! And a taxi booking service, which I think is quite expensive, but there should you need it if tubes are on strike (I doubt/hope they won't be as I'm going to the Saturday night show!)

Thanks, its not the O2. I was trying for Birmingham or Manchester. Looking at it tonight, I could get a legit ticket for Paris and fly/stay there cheaper than a black market ticket for here. I'm only going if I can get a legit ticket so........looks like I'm not going unless I can win a ticket or something.

Hope you have a great time!
  • Thanks, its not the O2. I was trying for Birmingham or Manchester. Looking at it tonight, I could get a legit ticket for Paris and fly/stay there cheaper than a black market ticket for here. I'm only going if I can get a legit ticket so........looks like I'm not going unless I can win a ticket or something.

Hope you have a great time!

So...go to Paris then!
    Sanctimonious Veggie. GYO-er. Seed Saver. Get in.
  • Sneezy
    Sneezy Posts: 570 Forumite
    Go for it, consider it a once in a lifetime opportunity - when will you get another chance to do?

I've been to a good few concerts on my own (the first when I was 18 in Manchester) and definitely don't consider it weird (I'm 26 so a similar age to you).

Last year I went on holiday for 2 weeks which was strange (I'd done long weekends which had been fine).
    Using my phone to post - apologies in advance for any typos
  • If it was any city other than Paris I'd say go for it (but that's only because I had a bad experience in that city). Heck, one of the first concerts (I was 19/20 ish) I went on my own to was in Las Vegas - saw a country/rock band called Big & Rich. Good times :). I didn't know anyone before I went but managed to make loads of friends, many of whom I am still really, really close to. First concerts on my own were, I think, ones in Nashville, TN, when I was 18 and on my gap year...again, knew no one, but had an absolute blast. And yes, I am a country music fan - which is why I can't judge someone who likes Beyonce, even though there's no appeal there for me...everyone's different - accept it and celebrate it :).

But yeah...going to concerts on your own is great. People in the UK tend to be more reserved than those in the USA, but at the end of the day, you're all going to see an artist you like - and that's a great conversation starter! :)
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    So why NOT go to Paris .......do the show and do the educational /improvement bit the next day with a bit of sightseeing.... Paris is not my favourite city in the world but it has more to offer than Birmingham (IMO)

Also check to see where the Beyonce fans hang out online -bound to be a FB group or a forum attached to her official website -they may have good leads for tickets .
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • I should probably point out right now that Paris isn't an option as I don't get back in the UK until May! And Beyonce doesn't come to the US until after I get back to the UK :mad:. Otherwise, I would have done Paris (been before, like it).

• But yeah...going to concerts on your own is great. People in the UK tend to be more reserved than those in the USA, but at the end of the day, you're all going to see an artist you like - and that's a great conversation starter! :)

This is very true, I couldn't believe the reaction actors and actresses get the moment they just step on stage at the theatre in the US. Here in the UK we wait for them to prove themselves (and make it worth our money!) first. And, from my experience, if you are sitting/standing next to someone in the US and you DON'T speak to them/make small talk - it is often considered discourteous. Its the opposite of London life lol!
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This is very true, I couldn't believe the reaction actors and actresses get the moment they just step on stage at the theatre in the US. Here in the UK we wait for them to prove themselves (and make it worth our money!) first.

Yes! I found that really weird, especially as makes it harder to suspend your disbelief when every actor has to pause when s/he comes on to wait for the applause to die down. I saw a couple of terrible plays where the actors seemed bored in New York and the audience were whooping and cheering like mad. Very odd.
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    panagia wrote: »
    In principle I don't see why not, but I know what you mean, you don't want to be sitting/standing there looking like Nelly No-Mates :)

Who cares what others think. TBH if someone makes that assumption about you it says more about them than you. I have odd taste in music so have gone to gigs alone. It's fine. You will spend the interval queuing for the loo or the bar so it's not like you will spend a lot of time looking awkward on your own. I like to just people watch.
  • If it's Paris, is it going to be the Zennith?

If so, it's not a scary place. Same rules apply, sensible footwear and know your route.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family