PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Feed a family of four for £20 a week challenge

Comments

• SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    quintwins wrote: »
    lol bb is 2006 my hubby was on £80 a week and it barely covered oour rent, we were a couple living off a single persons jobseekers, he's now on over double that but thats because he's now better trained and it's a family business so not the same as everyone else.

For everyone that is better off since 2006 there may be the same number that are worse off since losing good jobs and now living on benefits.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    SailorSam wrote: »
    For everyone that is better off since 2006 there may be the same number that are worse off since losing good jobs and now living on benefits.

I wasn't trying to being insenstive i was just saying how hard up we were in 2006 compared to now, trust me i wouldn't wish that on anyone. I do feel there is a need for threads like these....up to date ones.
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    No No, i wasn't picking you up on anything Q,
    I find all these threads a good read.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I findthe o
    D threads a fabulous resource, but food has good up and is going up more. Things like the cheap family meals site....are they up to date with current pricing? That would be almost as much work as creating the thing must have been if so!

Also with merged threads, new products come on the market, the costs of things change etc etc. some times, while the tips are valuable, the costs are so out of date they could bring depsair to people trying now. :(
  • Please dont merge the threads, they then come a nightmare for anyone to try and read through and work out where the uptodate information is. (seriously, for someone who is a technophobe or short on time, trying to wade through 5 years of posts to find something is :mad:)

I think in the current times, threads like this and the £7 a week, need to be kept at easily accessable as possible to those who are in need
  • HariboJunkie
    HariboJunkie Posts: 7,740 Forumite
    edited 29 August 2012 at 10:50AM
    Please dont merge the threads, they then come a nightmare for anyone to try and read through and work out where the uptodate information is. (seriously, for someone who is a technophobe or short on time, trying to wade through 5 years of posts to find something is :mad:)

I think in the current times, threads like this and the £7 a week, need to be kept at easily accessable as possible to those who are in need

The board guides are just doing their voluntary job as asked by the forum team and MSE Martin. I think the angry smilie is a bit unfair particularly in light of the fact that Pink-winged went to the trouble of searching for all those other threads.:(

As to the Op. This will be a really hard challenge. The others struggled to feed a family of four for £100 per month and that was before price hikes. Is this intended as an emergency only plan? :)
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    Forumite
    edited 29 August 2012 at 10:51AM
    Haribo this is designed for those who are on benefits or have just been made redundant or are just struggling to make ends meet, we all know that benefits don't cover the basics any more and are due to be cut next year, so it is to offer a little of our combined knowledge to help those who are in this sort of situation. The £7 a week was doable, but at the detriment of meat, fish, fresh fruit and veg.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    Forumite
    edited 29 August 2012 at 10:50AM
    Aldi super six this week

2.5kgs baking potatoes (Roast, mash and chip well) Not forgetting that you can precook and freeze mash, roast potatoes and chips
    500g plums, (de stone and freeze to make plum duff etc)
    4/5 nectarines
    3 pack peppers (Chop and freeze...no need to blanch)
    large vine tomatoes (dry in the oven for your own sun dried tomatoes or make your own pasta sauce)
    a bag of 7 fun size apples....Slice and freeze for apple sponges, apple sauce, D&DD's apple braid or pies, as well as eating them fresh
    ALL AT 69p
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • That's not enough for one person's five a day for a week though, BB, never mind a family of four. I think this thread is a great idea, a few years ago for several months we had £27 a week to feed and clean four of us, and to make sure the kids were getting enough, OH and I had to skip meals. We are vegetarian, and it was impossible to make sure the kids had a full balanced nutritious diet with enough calories so that they could continue to do sports, etc, at the same time. I struggle just now when it's just me and the children at home to keep the budget (without counting sweets etc) below £45.
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • Jackie, this does not include cleaning stuff, just food, so maybe you could give us a few of your recipes :D
    Not Buying it 2015!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills