Switching accounts - salary?!

Hello,

I've just signed up to switch my current account from Halifax to Natwest but I think I've made a bit of a mistake. Its too late now for me to inform my employer this month that I've changed accounts which means this month's pay (paid on 27th) will be going into the old (by then closed) account. I know that payments made to a closed switched account are automatically forwarded to the new account but I was wondering if anyone knew how long this would take - I don't want to be without my salary for more than a couple of days really! Anyone know?

Thanks!

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,578 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Have you actually closed the Halifax account or are you using a switching service? Also are you sure your employer wont have time to change the bank details? I have just changed my bank details for my salary due to be paid on 25 November and my employer has said it will be done this month.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • I'm using a switching service so the Halifax account will be closed (so no access to it for me but they can forward payments to the new account for 13 months afterwards).

I work for the NHS and their cut-off date for bank detail changes is the 7th (tomorrow) but our payroll department is miles away from where I work and I don't drive so can't go and physically hand them the change of bank details form! Post wouldn't get there on time.

:)
  • lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    They will update your bank account details with your employer.

If the employer doesn't have the new details in place after the old account closes then what will happen is that any incoming monies will be automatically forwarded to your new account and your employee will be again informed of the new account details.
  • lee111s wrote: »
    They will update your bank account details with your employer.

If the employer doesn't have the new details in place after the old account closes then what will happen is that any incoming monies will be automatically forwarded to your new account and your employee will be again informed of the new account details.

Hi, thanks for this - I know that the money will be forwarded on - my question is does anyone know how quickly this will be done? Same day? Five working days? I know I'll get paid I just don't want to be without my wage for more than a few days!
  • Kelxx
    Kelxx Posts: 103 Forumite
    Hi, thanks for this - I know that the money will be forwarded on - my question is does anyone know how quickly this will be done? Same day? Five working days? I know I'll get paid I just don't want to be without my wage for more than a few days!
    When I switched from Nat West to TSB it arrived the day it was supposed to,
    :heart:***I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE YNAB***:heart:

• ruby_eskimo
    ruby_eskimo Posts: 4,526 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Send the forms via internal mail now. They usually have a few days after the payroll "deadline" to make any manual changes to the file for changes such as yours (I used to work very closely with payroll in the NHS).
    Emergency Fund - £7992.62 / £10,000 :: Total Mortgage OP - £34,692
    LISA 24/25 - £0 / £4000 :: NSD 2024 - 13 / 180 :: Moving Fund: £838.83 :: Decluttering - 143 / 365
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • Kelxx wrote: »
    When I switched from Nat West to TSB it arrived the day it was supposed to
    Send the forms via internal mail now. They usually have a few days after the payroll "deadline" to make any manual changes to the file for changes such as yours (I used to work very closely with payroll in the NHS).

Thank you both - very helpful indeed!
    :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family