Which banks take £5 coins?

Comments

• MoneySaverLog
    MoneySaverLog Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    I have one dated 2002, never circulated, to commemorate The Queen Mother in a presentation pack with the stamps, just had a look at mine and it says 5 pounds on the coin.
    pinkdalek wrote: »
    Define the term legal tender?
    From wikipedia: Legal tender is a medium of payment allowed by law or recognized by a legal system to be valid for meeting a financial obligation
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Define the term legal tender?
    Here's a useful link confirming the term relates only to the settlement of court debts.

http://www.royalmint.com/aboutus/policies-and-guidelines/legal-tender-guidelines
    Also consider they may not be worth £5 when exchanged. Some £5 coins are only worth 25p.
    If a Crown says £5 on it then that's what it's worth*. If it doesn't it's probably worth 25p. There is a cut off date Which is any Crown from 1990 onwards is a £5 coin.

*As well as the general issue coins worth £5 or 25p there will also be more valuable versions cast in sterling silver which would be a mistake to deposit at the local bank.
  • pinkdalek
    pinkdalek Posts: 1,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    So how come some businesses refuse to take £50 notes if as according to the link a £50 note is "legal tender"
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    So how come some businesses refuse to take £50 notes if as according to the link a £50 note is "legal tender"
    The link explains it all. The term doesn't require shops to accept anything.

It's all about payments in to court.
  • Deru
    Deru Posts: 621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    rockitup wrote: »
    The ones worth 25p - would that be the "Crowns" you are talking about. Think they had those for commemorating Winston Churchill, Royal Wedding etc

I thought all of them were referred to as "Crowns".

Also, I remember taking one to Halifax and it was refused. It was the 2003 one with a swanky font so can't blame the cashier if they've never seen one before. A colleague at work wanted it so she gave me a £5 note for it. For anyone interested in seeing the designs over the years.

http://www.royalmint.com/discover/uk-coins/coin-design-and-specifications/five-pound-coin
  • rockitup
    rockitup Posts: 677 Forumite
    edited 28 April 2012 at 9:13AM
    Deru wrote: »
    I thought all of them were referred to as "Crowns".

I was about 10 years old when they bought in decimal coins so still thought of Crowns as "5 Bob", 5 Shillings or 25p in decimal wonga.

I did amass a fair size collection of the old pre-decimal coins in Whitman folders but sold them all at 16 and started collecting Silver Dollars and Half-Dollars then... still got them :D
  • MoneySaverLog
    Another thing to consider is if you have the copper versions of the 1p and 2p coins their intrinsic value is worth more than the face value of the coin given the increase in value of the price of copper.

However the process of melting down a coin of the realm is illegal, and you'd need to sift out any new steel coins from the ones made of copper first.
  • Lansdowne
    Lansdowne Posts: 570 Forumite
    you mean bronze (1p and 2p) not copper.
  • MoneySaverLog
    Lansdowne wrote: »
    you mean bronze (1p and 2p) not copper.
    Indeed well I was about 97% right :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories