The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Saturday 28th November 2015

nmlc
nmlc Posts: 4,788
First Anniversary First Post
Forumite
edited 28 November 2015 at 6:58AM in Old style MoneySaving
O/S Daily Saturday 28th November 2015

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” is fine.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that need/want them x

Now getting light, still damp underfoot and rain and wind forecast for the weekend, but mild.

DH and myself up enjoying first cuppas of the day. He'll be heading for a soak in the bath shortly - he said this morning his knees are hurting - he has arthritis in both but he's "too young" for doctors to do anything - so we have to get on with it - like so many do. Generally it's not too bad most of the year - but winter when it's wet and damp continously is miserable and the pain is constant. We do have supplies of various meds that do help.

Boys both still in their pits. Will leave them to lie in until later.

Dinner last night was fried rice, noodles, chicken in hoisin sauce and stir fried veg in sauce - all very nice. It was a bit of a cheat meal, as the fried rice and noodles dishes are ready made dishes that I bought from MrA.....ee and they are quite big packs so only need 1 of each with some other bits to feed all 4 of us. They are good dishes too, you can either micro them or empty the contents into a dish, cover and bake in the oven (which is how I cook them, otherwise you have everything on the hob). Tonight's dinner will be "picky" bits - pizza, rack of ribs in bbq sauce, stuffed mushrooms, onion rings, hot new herby potatoes, and side salad. I wanted a joint of lamb for lunch tomorrow, but SM was sold out when I got there, so we have pork instead - it's quite a large joint so there should be some left so hoping i can do cold meat with bubble and squeak, pickles and salad Monday night, will extra and make sure it's hidden from the menfolk.

I was reasonably productive yesterday - xmas puds made and steamed, although the last one was still steaming on the hob whilst I was cooking last nights' dinner, but it just finished steaming whilst I was still cooking, so was able to then turn it off and concentrate on the dinner. Puds left too cool and have now been covered and stored. I got to the SM just after they opened and it wasn't busy at all, but Black Friday doesn't have much impact on MrA....ee so had a lovely shop, and then went to MrM's who wasn't busy either to collect the bits I want from there, I was very pleased with the cost of my shop MrA...ee although I didn't buy hardly any meat - I bought that in MrM as I prefer their meat. Continued once home with washing, drying and other admin jobs etc. Once DS2 came in from school he found a programme we'd recorded that I wanted to watch, so I sat with a cuppa and watched that. Nice end to the week, do feel like I perhaps should have done more, but we run around all the time am still sorting paperwork out from DH's caravan job he no longer does, we have to get rid of the paperwork securely so the shredding is working overtime at the moment!

Have a good Saturday everyone x

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Comments

• Morning all. Thanks nmlc for starting us off. You've had a very busy but productive week. I actually managed to stay in bed till 6.30 but only because I was downstairs at 4.00 taking painkillers and they seemed to knock me out a bit. I don't think the antibiotics are taking effect as this will be the third day and, from experience, they should be working by now.

Not that I feel much like it, but today will be the postponed Friday cleaning day. Because we had the 3 girls all day yesterday, nothing got touched and the house is in dire need of a blitz. As expected, after DD had picked them up yesterday afternoon we claimed a sofa apiece and had an extended, much needed, nap. DD was surprised to find they had written most of their Christmas cards but what hard work it was helping the youngest! More so because children these days have such unusual names and I didn't know how to spell half of them! I'm sure the parents must make them up!

We've had overnight rain by the look of it and the forecaster last night said rain and gales in most parts for the weekend. Oh lovely! Have a nice weekend if you can ((((((HUGS)))))) to those wanting/needing them and take care xx JUDI I hope the mumps soon leave the Baby House and all are well again pretty quickly x
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 5,986
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Morning All

Wet and very blustery out there, had planned a long lie but the inbuilt body clock got me up at 6.20! Still, there's a programme on Radio Scotland that I like to listen to so not all bad.

Went to post a parcel to Oz yesterday that was going to cost £58 to send so I've brought it home again. I'll just send the essentials and when we eventually catch up will spend the money on a day out and nice meal, the postage was going to cost about the same as the presents inside!

Cleaned the bathrooms and sorted the cupboard at the top of the stairs, it has become a dumping ground for all things paperworky, have moved all the pens, pads, etc to the old desk by the front door that was sat empty - it's a lovely piece of furniture so may as well use it. I've made enough room for the towels in the cupboard and sorted all the bathroom things into the new cabinet. Must ask DD to stop bringing me soap!

Washing has been drying on the airers overnight, the residual heat from the log burner helps a lot, I'll finish it off in the dryer later if it needs it.

Going for a haircut later and DD and I are going to friends for dinner, she is staying here tonight so we can have a chilled day tomorrow, it will be the first time she has been home properly since she moved.

judi - hope the SA folks get better soon, there has been an outbreak of mumps round here too.

Have a good weekend. Take care. XX
  • Morning all

NMLC thanks for starting the thread.

Judi I hope those with mumps recover quickly, I caught mumps when I was 30, it was painful but I didn't feel ill.

Mrs LW, I hope He Who Knows is none the worse for his fall.

I'm hoping for a quiet & peaceful weekend, I will kidnap hubby's phone and filter all his calls, it's the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix today, so hopefully that will prove a distraction.

I will spend the day looking at the devastation that is my house, it is in desperate need of a good bottoming, but my get up and go has left the building!

I need to go to the baker in a sec and get some soft rolls, hubby likes a burger in a bun and a beer when he's watching the GP.

I have knitted 3 out of the 5 scarves for school, so I should be able to get the last 2 done this weekend.

I had a message in the week from DD1, it's taken 6 years but she was finally pushed too far by a rude & stupid social worker. She is a great foster carer, constantly praised by the department manager, but this particular trainee hadn't read his notes, thought the 5 children were all her own & lectured her on her lack of contraception. lol, she threw him out of her house and then made a complaint about him.

I best go feed the fish, they are glaring at me from the tank.

Have a good day everyone.

Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • RosyRed
    RosyRed Posts: 3,061
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Morning all,

I was up early as the dog wanted to go out,shes snoozing away again now.Will take a cuppa up to DH in a minute.DS1 stayed at a mates house last night,a few of them went to a gig in Manchester,he might stay over again.We are having a few friends round tonight to celebrate the house now being finished,apart from the cellar conversion (but we can just shut the door on that;))We are just having pie & peas,pizza and then I've made a tiramisu and a chocolate cake,just need to make the filling for the cake.Somehow need to keep the house looking respectable when the DGC descend at lunchtime,and DH & DS2 are going to look at a job so they'll be no help.Did a big clean yesterday though.

We won a rug off eebay & Dh is meant to pick it up at 1 but they havent told us where from yet,hoping it'll look a bit better than the one currently down-it survived all the building work but has def seen better days.

Ordered a new dishwasher yesterday,the company usually deliver the next day but I guess theyre a bit busy after yesterday so its coming on Tuesday-guess it'll be DH being the dishwasher tonight then.

HH hope you get a peaceful weekend,and :mad: at the trainee,hope it makes him think.
    TA hope you feel better soon.
    Camelot,hope you enjoy your chilled out weekend with DD.

Enjoy the weekend everyone x
    :heartsmil 'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Morning

Happy 21st birthday to redrubysdd hope she has an amazing day. :bdaycake:xx

WM is on I emptied the laundry basket on wed and now it's full to the brim :cool:

Quiet here as dd2 has stayed with some friends so it's just me and DH and he's in bed :D I'm sat with a hot water bottle on my back to ease it a bit , the cat is also layed on a hot water bottle , I make one for me and if I get up she nicks it so I make her her own and she loves it :o:D

Plans for today , to clean the upstairs , I'll take my steamer up and give everything a squirt and steam mop the floors . The beds were changed yesterday so shouldn't be a big job to get it all ship shape

Time for a cuppa Have a good day everyone xx
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    edited 28 November 2015 at 8:32AM
    H/H I think you DD was right .My DD had five children and anyone who had the temerity to tell her about her contraceptive habits would have had short shrift, as each of her children were wanted and loved.There are only three left at home at the moment and they are noisy,messy,boys but I look after them after school each day and during the holiday and I wouldn't be without them.

DD's eldest boy is making a trip home with his g/f tomorrow morning from Uni in Norwich (he works part time at a night club on Saturday nights so doesn't finish until about 4.00 am on Sunday mornings) just to give his Dad a surprise as it was his Dads birthday.They will only be able to spend a few hours here but his Dad doesn't know he's coming, so tonight DD and her OH are off for a night out at a pub B&B near Canterbury .They will have a meal and the cinema and come home tomorrow at lunchtime ,by which time hopefully Ben will be there to see him I am looking after the three younger boys tonight, they too don't know their big brother is coming home either :):):)
    So lots of celebrating in DDs house tomorrow :)

Today I shall just be doing some catch-up ironing and probably make some leek and potato soup for next weeks lunches.Probably make a tray bake for tonight for the boys, I have plenty of eggs and stuff so a chocolate one sound like it will fit the bill for them

Hope everyone has a good day what ever they are doing, another month has almost vanished,where does the time fly to I wonder.

My eldest's DDs birthday is next Wednesday and I can hardly believe she is 48 :):):)
    Cheers chums
    JackieO xxx
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,610
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Morning everyone,

Gorgeous morning out there but it's not set to last, rain and wind coming. The girls were very boisterous on their early walk and are still wanting to play, would put them back out but our pet Pheasant is in the garden. He's got in the habit of coming through the hedge in the morning to have his breakfast under the apple tree, picks up all the fallen seeds that come out of the feeders, my little girl is a working cocker spaniel so would definetly go after him.

Hope to get all jobs done before the bad weather hits, picked up some tasty spicy pork from the butchers yesterday, he mixes up a big batch and you can buy as little or as much as you like which is great when there is just two of you. So that will be tea with some ping rice, quick meal it is.

HH - actually laughed out loud at the shear ignorance of that young man, how bloomin rude, not to mention judgemental.
    TA - sorry to hear you still feel poorly

Get well wishes to all poorly folk, love and strength to any that need it. Have a good day all x
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning :hello: [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Scampi seems to be back to normal now – the last couple of walks have been good and the neighbours can go in their garden without him yelling at them, lol.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I've finally finished making my three cushion covers for Christmas. I have an idea for a blanket made from leftovers, I'm itching to get started but will force myself to finish my other blanket first.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I was up early again so by 7am I'd watched one of my recorded programs, cleaned the cooker and folded the clean washing. I have one more load to go in the machine then I'm not doing any more for the rest of the weekend. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I have some Christmas mags (saved from previous years), I'll flick through them and see if anything catches my eye. I like to make some sort of new ornament every year, no matter how small. Today feels like a yarny day so I'll be snuggled down on the sofa with crochet things. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Big problem today – I can't find anywhere to hang my advent calendars :D[/FONT]

:beer:
    Bulletproof
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 11,958
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Morning.

It's wild outside and has been all night. I was planning a visit to Glasgow but have shelved that til the middle of next week.

I was awake at 3.00am and read until 5.00am and then slept til now. Yesterday was mostly the same. My cough is hanging on and I still hVe the gravelly voice which disappears at times midway through speaking. I didn't talk at all yesterdsy until I tried it out by talking out loud to myself!

HH - how rude! I watched a programme yesterday which was about Ben Fogle staying with a farming family in the Yorkshire Dales who had eight children, including a five week old beautiful girl. The children were all fabulous. Social Services - pah!

I have no idea what is going to happen today. Not going out, even to the back steadying for the vacuum cleaner. It's only four or five steps in the rain but I will get drenched. And no-ones going to visit in this weather and I can avoid looking at the floor. Life is good.

Good vibes to those who are not well or sad. Happy Saturday everyone.
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Morning all,

Its a beautiful day here for the moment and my dd's 21st Birthday, thanks for the wishes sistercas xx we have had present opening and lots of phone calls this morning !

Have a wash to hang on the line and will have a quick tidy round but not doing much apart from celebrating !! Out tonight for dinner so no cooking to do either.

Have good days all xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport