Do I have to buy winzip?

2»

Comments

• Donnie
    Donnie Posts: 9,862 Forumite
    WinZip and WinRAR always used to work after the Evaluation period. There would just be a reminder at start-up.
  • superscaper
    superscaper Posts: 13,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Yes it relies on an honour system. Unfortunately by definition dishonest people show why this doesn't always work. It has used this system ever since I can remember so it's hardly a new concept, alanrowell. How easy it is to use illegally doesn't make it any more legal.
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • bat999
    bat999 Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If I remember correctly, with the earlier versions of WinZip the evaluation period went on for ever. Just a nag each time.
    But it seems that the later versions specify a 45-day evaluation.
  • superscaper
    superscaper Posts: 13,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Can't say I've tried recent versions. I use stardock's Object desktop which includes it's own zip utility. Not the best but it does what I want. If alanrowell genuinely didn't know then fine, at least he does now and can pay for it (or uninstall it).
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • R0CKY
    R0CKY Posts: 121 Forumite
    Someone already mention it, but it's worth repeating, izarc is the tops for compression utilities these days, it is free and handles any file compression you care to throw at it, awesome tool.
    Rocky.
  • Cerro
    Cerro Posts: 206 Forumite
    Yes you have to buy it.

Although I have noticed that both winrar and winzip given reminders to buy the full version. BUT if you just do a right click and go "extract here" the main app doesn't load and you get no reminder... thought they would have set a remind to come up for that too, they seem to have missed that.

If you must buy one, go with winrar, does pretty much everything winzip does and covers rar files, which have much better compression ratios. Although as someone has already pointed out iZarc does all that for free.
    Faith is believing what you know ain't so...
  • Winzip is having a special offer at the monment its if you signup to offers you get winzip for free, just go to the offical wipzip website and check it out.
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Windows XP and Vista have built-in support for .zip files called 'Compressed (zipped) folders', so you don't need to install a dedicated tool like WinZip. See http://www.mhuffman.com/notes/zip/zip.html

Just to second this...I occasionally have to install winrar etc to handle the odd old file led about the place, but if I'm zipping stuff up myself 99% of the time it's easier just to use compressed (zipped) folders.
  • pchelpman
    pchelpman Posts: 1,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I agree with ASUS (post #2 above). We've used 7-zip for long time now and found it to be much faster and easier to use than Winzip (and no nag screen!!).

PCH
  • wolfman
    wolfman Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    Lol, yeah rather than consider Winzip or WinRAR, just get 7-Zip or TugZip. Both free and excellent alternatives.
    "Boonowa tweepi, ha, ha."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport