Royal Mail Shares

Hi,

I'm interested in buying some Royal Mail shares. This would be my first time in dealing in shares so am not too sure why to do.

I just want buy shares, collect dividends and maybe after a few years sell them again but am being bamboozled by info about "intermediary stockbrokers".

They seem too charge an annual rate but I can't work out what it is they do. Can anyone advise what they do for their fee and if its possible to do "it" yourself.

Ta. Pete.

Comments

• innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Buying shares in only one company is an incredibly risky approach to investing. You should read a lot about investing before you start with anything. 'Investing', let alone putting all your money into one share. If you are prepared to lose your entire investment, then putting all your money into one share is ok. Most people don 't have such a high risk tolerance, though.

Search the forum for books about investing.
  • Thanks for your generic reply re shares, I fully understand risk - that wasn't my question though.

Pete
  • Redstar_72 wrote: »
    Thanks for your generic reply re shares, I fully understand risk - that wasn't my question though.

Pete

Don't worry this always seems to be the reply on here if anyone mentions anything about buying shares. The question posed is not generally answered but a reminder about how risky it all is usually follows.

I have already put my request in for Royal Mail Shares. For me I had an email from Halifax which is the online system I use for share dealing, CFDs and funds and for holding my ISA.

I simply had to fill in an online form and have to ensure the cash is there to cover the cost on midnight 7 October 2013.
    I'm interested in buying some Royal Mail shares. This would be my first time in dealing in shares so am not too sure why to do.

I just want buy shares, collect dividends and maybe after a few years sell them again but am being bamboozled by info about "intermediary stockbrokers".

They seem too charge an annual rate but I can't work out what it is they do. Can anyone advise what they do for their fee and if its possible to do "it" yourself.

You don't need an intermediary to buy these shares. You can go to the website (https://www.gov.uk/royalmailshares) now and make an application online with a debit card (up to £10,000), or download the forms and post them off with a cheque.

If you do that, you'll have certificated shares in your own name. Dividends, if any, will be paid directly to you.

You will need an intermediary (or stockbroker) if you want to sell your shares, of course. Some of us already have intermediary share-dealing account, so the option to apply through that route is useful.

Warmest regards,
    FA
    Thus the old Gentleman ended his Harangue. The People heard it, and approved the Doctrine, and immediately practised the Contrary, just as if it had been a common Sermon; for the Vendue opened ...
    THE WAY TO WEALTH, Benjamin Franklin, 1758 AD
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Don't worry this always seems to be the reply on here if anyone mentions anything about buying shares. The question posed is not generally answered but a reminder about how risky it all is usually follows.

Complete rubbish.

There is nothing whatsoever wrong with reminding , or informing, people that buying shares in just one company is about as high risk as you can get.

Especially newbies to shares, such as Redstar_72 should be made aware of this. I am astounded that you, who I believe consider yourself as an old hand at investing (though opinions may differ on that), would not want to point this out to a newbie.
    Redstar_72 wrote:
    This would be my first time in dealing in shares so am not too sure why to do.

Even if they claim they are well aware of the risks
    Redstar_72 wrote:
    I fully understand risk
    but at the same time need to ask some very basic questions about share dealing. Yeah, they know all the risks.
  • Archi_Bald wrote: »
    Complete rubbish.

There is nothing whatsoever wrong with reminding , or informing, people that buying shares in just one company is about as high risk as you can get.

Especially newbies to shares, such as Redstar_72 should be made aware of this. I am astounded that you, who I believe consider yourself as an old hand at investing (though opinions may differ on that), would not want to point this out to a newbie.

Even if they claim they are well aware of the risks
    but at the same time need to ask some very basic questions about share dealing. Yeah, they know all the risks.

I don't consider myself as an "old hand" at anything. Sorry.

Later in the thread he/she says they are aware of the risks and simply wanted the question answered! Which myself and another person here has done. It might be that they, myself and all the other thousands of people who have requested a RM share purchase do very nicely!

It might be after buying Royal Mail shares they may then buy some more in other firms.

By the way I would like to remind all that tomorrow you should
    stay indoors and not go anywhere because crossing the road and/or driving your car is one of the most riskiest things - way above buying and owning shares - in life but we all do it on a daily basis. ;)

Also on here, each time anyone mentions placing cash into a savings account we need to remind them of the "risks" of doing that. Namely the hidden financial fungus called inflation rotting away their capital due to paltry interest rates.

Ohh I have just looked at a few threads on those and found no "warnings" to effect! :o
  • To Flockofsheep and Father Abraham, many thanks for responses to my question. That's been really helpful.

To Archibald, thanks for the "reminder" but completely unnecessary. Just because I have to ask some questions doesn't mean I don't understand risk.

Pete
    To Flockofsheep and Father Abraham, many thanks for responses to my question. That's been really helpful.

To Archibald, thanks for the "reminder" but completely unnecessary. Just because I have to ask some questions doesn't mean I don't understand risk.

Pete

You are welcome. Good luck with it all. How much are you investing in Royal Mail?
  • Thanks, I was thinking of £1,000. I'm fortunate that i can release that from savings safely without having to worry unduly. I plan to hold them for the foreseeable future and see how the divs do.

Pete.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport