Travel To Ireland - Do You Need A Passport?

My partner's passport has expired and we need to fly from London to Dublin next week. I'm told you can travel with a photo ID like a driving licence, instead of a passport, but I need to double check. Anybody know for sure about this?

Comments

• vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We went on a day trip from Holyhead to Dublin as we were staying in Snowdonia. My missus and I were born in the UK and our driving licences shows our place of birth as in the UK. My mums driving licence shows her place of birth as Hong Kong and the Immigration Officer said that technically he could refuse her entry unless she had her British Passport on her too, as she may not be a British Subject. But he was pleasant about it and allowed us to proceed once he checked we had a return ferry ticket.
    The man without a signature.
  • turtle2k1
    turtle2k1 Posts: 350 Forumite
    I'm not sure if it depends on the airline you are flying with. We are going with Ryanair and they accept a valid photo driving licence (including provisional) as valid id
  • campbeji
    campbeji Posts: 76 Forumite
    No you do not need a passport. You do not need any form of ID to go to Ireland, either North or South from England. You do however need ID to get onto a plane whether it is flying to Ireland or Scotland or even within England or anywhere else in the world, some nonsense about stopping terrorists.

I have travel this route quite a few times and also taken the ferry on the various routes, never had any problems with immigration or anything, on the ferry I just drive off the ferry, out the gate and away. I have no idea how vikingaero got caught up with immigration at Dublin, maybe it was part of a sting operation:D

Bye for now
  • campbeji
    campbeji Posts: 76 Forumite
    opps, I should have said that the website for the airline will have a page on the sort of ID's that are acceptable. Most Govenment backed photo ID's will do the trick.

Jim
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Your entry to Eire will be easier if you have some form of identification. Most airlines will insist that you have either a passport or driving licence showing your photograph before you board. Despite the rather flippant remarks made by an earlier poster, there is a real threat of terrorism in the western world and it is therefore not unreasonable to expect that entrants to a country will be suitably screened.

Visa, Passport and Embassies

UK citizens do not require a passport or visa to enter Ireland, but most carriers by air or sea now require some form of identification with photograph (usually either a passport or driving licence with photo). Visitors are advised to check what form of ID is required with the individual airline, ferry company, tour operator or travel agent before travelling.

Non UK nationals must have a valid passport or national identity card as appropriate.

Citizens living within the EU and most other Western countries including Australia, Canada, New Zealand and South Africa do not require visas.

All other countries should contact their local Irish Embassy/Consulate prior to travelling to the Republic of Ireland, and visitors to Northern Ireland should contact their local British Embassy/High Commission or Consular Office.
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    campbeji wrote: »
    You do however need ID to get onto a plane whether it is flying to Ireland or Scotland or even within England or anywhere else in the world, some nonsense about stopping terrorists.

Yet another stupid rule dreamt up by someone who was told he had to do "something" to prevent terrorists getting onto a 'plane.

We all know that any would-be terrorist is an illegal immigrant with no means of identifying himself !!!

But hang on a minute - weren't the 911 hijackers in the US on perfectly legal docs ? weren't the London tube bombers UK citizens with UK passports ?

They will have to think of "something" else !
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    campbeji wrote: »
    I have travel this route quite a few times and also taken the ferry on the various routes, never had any problems with immigration or anything, on the ferry I just drive off the ferry, out the gate and away. I have no idea how vikingaero got caught up with immigration at Dublin, maybe it was part of a sting operation:D

Bye for now

Must be my Osama-bin-Laden-esque good looks.:D

We were on a day trip in the car from Holyhead to Dun Laoghaire on the Stena HSS. When we drove off the HSS there's the immigration/customs booths/barriers in front of you. The Immigration Officer was standing in front of them and selectively targeting the odd car. I knew that we'd be stopped because we're oriental and were the only non-whites on the whole trip. (Note: that last statement does not infer any complaint at being stopped because of our race, as the Immigration Officer was very polite, and if I were him I would have stopped us too!):D
    The man without a signature.
  • lellie
    lellie Posts: 1,489 Forumite
    However usually if you're flying you will need a passport - otherwise a driving license is fine.
  • poppy_f1
    poppy_f1 Posts: 2,637 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    i flew to and from dublin with ryanair using my driving licence (had my passport tho as a back up) and never had a problem
  • Hi,
    We are looking at a possible trip to Eire for holiday by ferry.
    We all have photo id, apart from my 2 yr old daughter -will this be a problem on entry ?
    No time to get a passport for her at this late stage.
    Would appreciate any advice please,

thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family