Teachers - day off at the slightest sign of snow

Comments

• pka_2
    pka_2 Posts: 158 Forumite
    Dave_C wrote: »
    Can't the little darlings (and their parents) walk?
    Or use the Chelsea tractor with 4WD?

I lived 8 miles away from my school, guess I should have walked in huh?

not everyone grows up in the middle of a city where school is less than a mile away
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I believe it should work that teachers who work outside of their own area should attend a school in the areas which they reside in. OK the lessons may not be curriculum based as the day was planned but learning can still go ahead by qualified teachers, pupils do not miss a day and it helps to relieve any child care issues for parents.

At one time this might have been an option.

Given that the situation now is that all adults in a school, whether paid or volunteers, have to have a CRB check SPECIFIC TO THAT SCHOOL 'random' adults turning up at the nearest school are not going to be able to get anywhere near the children.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • littlerat
    littlerat Posts: 1,792 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Half of the female teachers (sorry but it's usually the females who end up with this role) could be actually childcare issues - ie their child's school is shut, so they can't get into work.

Also the side roads only being a bit icy can vary to a mile or 2 (unless the rest of the country is magically different), one place could be safe, a mile away people who lives down their roads could be facing a sheet of ice.

And frankly, risking a nasty accident for work always seems a tad stupid to me if I'm honest. I know people have to, but... odd.

The rest is the whole suing thing. And if the temperature drops below something preset kids have to be sent home too.
  • 365days
    365days Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    It's the compensation culture as stated above. Schools and local authorities are in fear of being sued if Johnny or Jane slip on the ice. Very sad.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • davidlizard
    davidlizard Posts: 1,582 Forumite
    bugbyte wrote: »
    Hum.

I have part responsibility for closing my school here in the Midlands (and no we haven't closed!) and what most of you don't realise is that most schools close not because staff can't get in - I could run my school for a day on 1/2 staff if needs be - but because if the site and routes are not secure your little darlings may slip over on their way in - not even in the school grounds and we would have our asses sued. If we do close - and I haven't for two years - staff often make their way in and those that don't have to account for what they have done in the time. Blame the gov. safeguarding policy if you like it is not the school's fault.

I understand that in todays compensation culture climate.

However, todays closure was because not enough teaching staff were able to make it to work. The caretaker had all the paths gritted, and the lollypop lady had driven in from the next village.
  • davidlizard
    davidlizard Posts: 1,582 Forumite
    Valli wrote: »
    At one time this might have been an option.

Given that the situation now is that all adults in a school, whether paid or volunteers, have to have a CRB check SPECIFIC TO THAT SCHOOL 'random' adults turning up at the nearest school are not going to be able to get anywhere near the children.

That approach is very understandable, and agree that it is essential that anyone near kids must be CRB checked. I have been through this myself as I often go along as a parent-helper on as many school trips as I can.

However, the private schools near us - including the one my daughter goes to - have arrangements so teachers from other private schools turn up if they are unable to go to their normal school due to the weather. Therefore the CRB stuff must have been sorted in advance. Why can't state schools manage this?

Sounds like the education authorities could sort this out, and a CRB check could be applicable to all local schools, then teachers would be able to turn up and assist, and prevent a school from having to close.
  • PinkLipgloss
    PinkLipgloss Posts: 1,451 Forumite
    edited 7 December 2012 at 12:17PM
    I believe it should work that teachers who work outside of their own area should attend a school in the areas which they reside in. OK the lessons may not be curriculum based as the day was planned but learning can still go ahead by qualified teachers, pupils do not miss a day and it helps to relieve any child care issues for parents.

It is not as straightforward as this.

Firstly - some teachers (for example myself when I lived in Scotland) do not live within walking distance of a school nor have access to a car. Should I be penalised for this? Should other teachers have to work whilst I stay home because of this?

[ETA] I explained my first point badly. What I meant was what if people genuinely can't get in? For the record I have NEVER not showed at school on time (in my 9 years of teaching). Whilst in Scotland I had a back up plan that was my grandfather who lived 2 doors down and had a car - he often got me to work when buses decided not to show up/were cancelled etc. One year we were actually snowed in - literally - cars were COVERED 100% (and no it was not some bizarre area - built up housing estate near a city). Thankfully it was NOT a school day but what if it was? My grandfather could not possibly have dug the car out - and even if he did we wouldn't be able to get out of our street! My second back up plan was a colleague who offered to give me lifts if I was stuck - however she lived around the corner and would be in the same situation! So in that situation should I be penalised for not being able to get to work because (a) transport cancelled and (b) backup plans fail because we are snowed in. No doubt a number of my colleagues who lived in completely different areas could have made it in.

Secondly - Who will pay for these extra disclosure checks? Also who will manage this? It will require regular management given that teachers change schools/move homes, not to mention the situation with supply teachers! Do you have any idea of teacher/support staff work loads? Should we add extra "in-service days" to manage this scheme to cover a couple of potential snow days? (Thus reducing teaching days)

Thirdly - is it acceptable for teachers records (e.g. criminal record checks, photos etc) to be lying around the office of their "local" school. If it is stored securely who is to access such information when said teachers turn up to teach on the snow day? Who is to say who will and will not be able to make it to school to access said records?

Also - there are serious health and safety implications. Are there going to be enough teachers living within walking distance of every school? I doubt it. Also - are these teachers supposed to "magically" know about allergies/medical conditions of these children whom they have never seen before? Are they also supposed to know which children cannot be picked up by certain parents (e.g. in cases of parental separation)? Are they supposed to know which parents are "potentially violent" and should not be approached? (and before anyone asks YES this has been a real issue for me over the past couple of years teaching). Overcoming this would, yet again, be a serious administration burden to someone. It is highly sensitive information that cannot exactly be posted on notice boards in classrooms! Not to mention a nightmare for those poor teachers!

I could go on - but I think I have made my point.
    "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" (Douglas Adams)
  • Loanranger
    Loanranger Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    It is not as straightforward as this.

Firstly - some teachers (for example myself when I lived in Scotland) do not live within walking distance of a school nor have access to a car. Should I be penalised for this? Should other teachers have to work whilst I stay home because of this?

Secondly - Who will pay for these extra disclosure checks? Also who will manage this? It will require regular management given that teachers change schools/move homes, not to mention the situation with supply teachers! Do you have any idea of teacher/support staff work loads? Should we add extra "in-service days" to manage this scheme to cover a couple of potential snow days? (Thus reducing teaching days)

Fourthly - is it acceptable for teachers records (e.g. criminal record checks, photos etc) to be lying around the office of their "local" school. If it is stored securely who is to access such information when said teachers turn up to teach on the snow day? Who is to say who will and will not be able to make it to school to access said records?

Also - there are serious health and safety implications. Are there going to be enough teachers living within walking distance of every school? I doubt it. Also - are these teachers supposed to "magically" know about allergies/medical conditions of these children whom they have never seen before? Are they also supposed to know which children cannot be picked up by certain parents (e.g. in cases of parental separation)? Are they supposed to know which parents are "potentially violent" and should not be approached? (and before anyone asks YES this has been a real issue for me over the past couple of years teaching). Overcoming this would, yet again, be a serious administration burden to someone. It is highly sensitive information that cannot exactly be posted on notice boards in classrooms! Not to mention a nightmare for those poor teachers!

I could go on - but I think I have made my point.

Your point being amply made that you have a well developed excuse for not doing the job of work for which you were amply paid.
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    We didn't have that much snow, but yesterday morning it took 4 hours 20 minutes to travel what is usually a 50 minute journey. We saw a jack-knifed lorry and a total of 4 cars off the road. And in our town there wasn't a speck of snow. Sometimes when it looks fine where you are, just a few miles away can be chaos.
  • PinkLipgloss
    PinkLipgloss Posts: 1,451 Forumite
    edited 6 December 2012 at 9:20AM
    Loanranger wrote: »
    Your point being amply made that you have a well developed excuse for not doing the job of work for which you were amply paid.

My "well developed excuse" is in fact a number of valid points and issues.

Perhaps if you were to address each of my points I would be in a position to consider your opinion seriously?
    "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" (Douglas Adams)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure