Teachers - day off at the slightest sign of snow

Comments

• Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Azari wrote: »
    I think the problem is not a general antipathy towards teachers.

Rather, it's that, until recently, schools did not shut down, even if there had been very heavy snowfalls.

Now it seems that if a single snowflake is spotted that's it. School closed for the day and several hundred people are late for work or possibly cannot work at all as arrangements need to be made to look after the displaced children.

I very much doubt that this 'hair trigger' approach is down to the teachers working at the chalk face.

You're spot on there...the decision is made higher up.

Having said that a couple of years ago a local comp was shut for the week; fine; we all knew where we were. Another school, in a little village, had the head making decisions EVERY MORNING as to whether the school would open. Buses were off; roads impassable.
    The school didn't open ALL WEEK; on the Saturday they appealed for volunteers to dig out the playground. But no-one, staff or pupil or parent, KNEW what was happening until 7:30 or so until each morning!
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • SmallL
    SmallL Posts: 944 Forumite
    As an aside, if people are unhappy with teachers and think they aren't doing enough etc etc it would be much more productive to try and encourage the next generation of teachers to be better rather than bash the current minority that your displeased with.
    Im planning to become a teacher and this attitude to teachers is seriously putting me off, and may be putting other potentially good teachers off the profession.
    Of course im still going to be a teacher, but your never going to encourage and enthuse the next gen of teachers with the attitude i have seen on this forum.
  • Well said. I used to think they had an easy life until DD signed up. Now I wonder how she fits it all in.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • emg
    emg Posts: 1,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Dave_C wrote: »
    There is something wrong (and amusing at the same time) with a health and safety regime like those mentioned above

Little Johnny can't go to school because of the risk of falling in the snow and ice. So he can spend all day out in the street playing in the same snow and ice!

The time that he is exposed to the same danger of falling is greater. And you could argue that on-hand supervision and a school nurse is not available in the street.

As far as falling on snow and ice is concerned, Johnny is safer at school!

Dave

Ah, but it's not actually about safety, it's about litigation. Kid falls at school, parents can (and sadly do) sue the school/local authority. If a kid falls in the street there's no one to sue. Wherever you see Health and Safety just substitute the words 'risk of litigation'.
  • Hmm71
    Hmm71 Posts: 479 Forumite
    SmallL wrote: »
    As an aside, if people are unhappy with teachers and think they aren't doing enough etc etc it would be much more productive to try and encourage the next generation of teachers to be better rather than bash the current minority that your displeased with.
    Im planning to become a teacher and this attitude to teachers is seriously putting me off, and may be putting other potentially good teachers off the profession.
    Of course im still going to be a teacher, but your never going to encourage and enthuse the next gen of teachers with the attitude i have seen on this forum.

:( "you're" and "I'm" not "your" and "Im". Maybe this is why parents are unhappy with the current generation of teachers?
  • gregg1 wrote: »
    Jeez how many times before the message sinks in. It is not the teachers who are responsible for closing the school!!!!

I wonder how many of those parents who complain about their kids missing lessons because of the snow, take their kids out to go on holiday during term time? Wouldn't that make an interesting survey?!!
    The headteacher is responsible for closing the school, which lets face it is usually after a flurry of phone calls from the TEACHERS who can't get into work on the same roads the rest of the working population are using to get to work ;)
  • SmallL
    Hmm71 wrote: »
    :( "you're" and "I'm" not "your" and "Im". Maybe this is why parents are unhappy with the current generation of teachers?

In my spare time i dont care how im typing :) Nor do i have the time usually as my main hobby is online gaming, punctuation and grammer is the last thing on your mind when communicating with team mates!

Also i think your point is rather one thats clutching at straws and a bit childish
  • SmallL wrote: »
    If you are seriously considering teaching other people's children you will need to learn the difference between your and you're. Then you will need to use capitals when using I or I'm. But then again, you will probably fit right in with the standards of some of today's teachers who were taught through the GCSE system themselves.:p
  • Hmm71
    Hmm71 Posts: 479 Forumite
    SmallL wrote: »
    In my spare time i dont care how im typing :) Nor do i have the time usually as my main hobby is online gaming, punctuation and grammer is the last thing on your mind when communicating with team mates!

Also i think your point is rather one thats clutching at straws and a bit childish

It's neither childish nor clutching at straws. I expect the people who are going to be teaching my children to be decently educated themselves.
    Knowing the difference between "you're" and "your" is a very basic point of grammar. I fear for the future of education if you think things like that don't matter.
    Perhaps you should think again about becoming a teacher.
  • SmallL
    I'm really sorry if my typing and grammer offends some of you, however its no reason to personally insult me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure