Ps4 or ps4 pro?

My boys are after a PS4 for Christmas. Apparently none of their friends play Xbox anymore, they've all stopped using them and bought ps4. I've just started looking and I notice that a PS4 pro is due out next month.

Now I am totally clueless about these things so thought I'd ask here if it's worth paying the extra for the pro or not. My kids are 7 and 11.

Oh, and if anyone can pint me in the direction of any good deals on either I'd be massively grateful!

Comments

• donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    PS4 pro is a bit more powerful so it will perform a bit better. It is also 4K ready. That's all I know there maybe some other new features. Unless they are keen on the pro then the regular PS4 will probably do and it is cheaper. All PS4 games work on both versions of the console.
  • Gillybean
    Gillybean Posts: 290 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Fab Donna, thank you. My main concern was whether I'd end up getting a PS4 only to find that they would gradually phase out the games so they were only available on pro, like they are doing with Xbox and xboxone.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    The PS4 pro offers around double the graphics capability of the original PS4 to allow higher resolution gaming (above 1080p) although it doesn't offer any extra capability, any game that runs on the Pro will run on the original PS4 and the new Playstation VR system is also compatible with the original PS4.

The PS4 pro costs around a hundred pounds more than the original 1TB console and £80 more than the PS4 1TB slim. For those wanting the maximum graphics performance from the PS4 and have a 4K TV, the PS4 Pro is clearly worth the premium but otherwise it's hard to say. My feeling is from what you've said your kids would likely be happy with the PS4 and a few extra games instead of the Pro console but I don't know what's going to happen with the PS4 longterm - Sony have said they'll support the old PS4 alongside the Pro but it's not guaranteed to always be the case.

John
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Gillybean wrote: »
    Fab Donna, thank you. My main concern was whether I'd end up getting a PS4 only to find that they would gradually phase out the games so they were only available on pro, like they are doing with Xbox and xboxone.

The Xbox 360 and Xbox One situation is different - it's equivalent to the PS3 and PS4, the PS4 Pro is equivalent to the new Xbox One Scorpio which is an upgraded version of the Xbox One with more graphics power. Both Sony and Microsoft have said they'll continue to offer support for the older consoles and developers aren't allowed to produce games that only run on the PS4 Pro and Xbox Scorpio.

John
  • GTR_King
    GTR_King Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Ok my advice is to get the PS4 Slim (They phasing out the old one)....

You should only get the PS4 Pro if you have a 4k HDR tv.

If not get the PS4 Slim from game.. You get PS4 Slim+ Fifa 16 for £249.99

If they want to play online it will cost £39.99 (£29.99 Bought with console) a year.

If not try eBay or Facebook selling pages might have some good deals
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The PS4 will be around for a good while yet so no need to worry about games not being made for it.
  • GTR_King wrote: »
    You get PS4 Slim+ Fifa 16 for £249.99
    For only £10 more - £259.99, i got my PS4 Slim + Fifa 17, so newer version of Fifa from Amazon.

Then i couldn't find any good enough answers online as to whether the 500GB would be suitable for me or not so i just said sod it & bought a 2TB hard drive straight away. If i chose to sell it on it'll be more appealing with a 2TB hard drive than a 500GB one was my train of thought.
  • AndyBSG
    AndyBSG Posts: 986 Forumite
    Gillybean wrote: »

The PS4 and PS4 Pro will play the same games, Sony have stated that there will never be any 'PS4 Pro only' games(whether that is true 3-4 years down the line, who knows. After all MS said they would never sell the X-Box without Kinnect but they do now)

Basically, with the Pro it will support 4K HD and new PS4 games will look a bit better on the pro than on the standard PS4(although how much better is down to the particular game and it's developers)

Overall, unless you have a full 4K TV setup at home or you can see yourself buying the new Virtual Reality headset for the PS4 then I would say a normal PS4 is more than adequate.
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    AndyBSG wrote: »
    The PS4 and PS4 Pro will play the same games, Sony have stated that there will never be any 'PS4 Pro only' games(whether that is true 3-4 years down the line, who knows. After all MS said they would never sell the X-Box without Kinnect but they do now)

I think ms went back on what they said because it was unpopular. It would be the reverse with Sony, it would be unpopular to only make games for PS4 pro.
  • FredG
    FredG Posts: 213 Forumite
    GTR_King wrote: »
    Ok my advice is to get the PS4 Slim (They phasing out the old one)....

You should only get the PS4 Pro if you have a 4k HDR tv.

If not get the PS4 Slim from game.. You get PS4 Slim+ Fifa 16 for £249.99

If they want to play online it will cost £39.99 (£29.99 Bought with console) a year.

If not try eBay or Facebook selling pages might have some good deals

I have no interest in buying a 4k TV with the size of home displays being pretty inadequate in showing a marked difference.

I am however buying a PS4 Pro due to many developers stating that they will be implementing 1080p/60 modes or 1080p modes with higher level graphical effects than the regular PS4. Don't know if that'll be relevant in this case but just throwing it out there.

From a tech point of view, the power of the PS4 Pro isn't really going to push out 4k without making compromises. I'd rather have a clean, impressive 1080p image with a stable framerate than exercising in pixel and number chasing but we'll see how it pans out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure