Sell your gold - guide discussion

Comments

• Sazzie23
    Sazzie23 Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Post of the Month
    Hi

If there is a hallmark on the chain clasp does it mean the whole chain is the same carat weight?
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
  • k993257
    k993257 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi, Wanted to pass on my experience. I read Martin's guide before heading off to London. I was going anyway so no transport costs to be considered.

Tried 3 shops in Hatton Gardens, first one Farringdons offered £380 for what I had.

Second one (sorry cant remember name but it has an outdoor counter) offered £490.

Last one (stand in the Hatton garden market set up) after much deliberation offered £590. I took it.

It can be quite a nerve racking experience if you are not used to this kind of thing, and you need to be confident and not tell them what the last place offered, but for me it really paid off.

The price I calculated online would have been £503 if I got the weights right, but I would have had to pay postage.

One thing that did worry me was then having all that cash on me, especially with people about watching what is going on. So went straight to the bank after the transaction.

Good experience for me :money:
  • Hi, I've just joined the forum and I can tell you, I'm lost already, so please be patient!

I have a gold half hunter watch and chain that belonged to my grandfather who was a very senior police officer. It has been sitting in a draw for a very long time, so I decided it has to go. Reading the guides here, I sent photographs off to an on-line dealer in old watches. He gave me an offer for the lot -- gold watch made by Byrne of Liverpool, gold chain, and the ten dollar gold coin dated 1910 attached to the chain but subject of course to seeing them. I then took these to town (75 mile round trip!) and visited several jewellers. Now this is where I came unstuck! An antique dealer made me a straight offer. He thought the (not working, cracked case) watch could be repaired, so he obviously wasn't intending to scrap it. The first jeweller wanted to buy the chain alone, without the coin or the watch. To complicate matters further, it seems the watch (less the internal workings) is 18 carat gold but the chain is 9 carat. Bearing in mind that I live fairly remotely in the Highlands of Scotland (!), do I break these items into lots, rip the watch apart to sell the gold content, detach the coin and sell that separately, or put the lot on Ebay with a decent reserve, or just sell to an on-line scrap dealer if I can interest them? Incidentally, the offers in town varied hugely which adds suspicion to my confusion! I really don't know what to do now and it is certainly a long way from weighing it all on the kitchen scales and multiplying that number by the price of gold!
  • Hi, i've been living in spain for a few years and going back to uk for a few months and want to take some extra cash over. Should i sell my gold in spain or uk? Where would i get more money value thanks.

By the way going to liverpool if anyone can reccommend a good jewllers or something
  • mickaveli2001
    mickaveli2001 Posts: 2,145 Forumite
    Should keep the gold. Gold is the real currency
  • Hello All,

There are plenty reviews which is very valuable for anyone who want to see gold.

I had two bad experience with Gerrads; today and another one last year.

I had a 22ct gold coins, bought in India as a savings and I have to sell due to my personal circumstances. First, I have been to Gerrads as they appeared to offer a better rate.

But out of 240 gm they said it weight only 237 gm...already (61 quid gone..as the rate is 20.23 per gram today). This is exactly happened last year as well. grams tend to disappear on their scales!!

Then I went to Hattongardenmetals which is really less than 50 meters, they have agreed as it is 240 gms..But here is the catch initially said it will be 19.80 pounds per gram..I told them gerrads giving me higher rate.
    With negotiation they have agreed with 20.23 per gram.

But unfortunately they have to melt and assay it...I have waited for 1.5 hrs as I am not from London. Then I have been advised it was 21.6ct rather than 22ct....rate has gone back below 20 pounds per gram. Initially I didn't realise it is about 100 pound difference, but said okay.

After just coming out, it didn't feel right..looked the rate on Lois jewelley at Birmingham where I sold the same coins in the past as 22ct; rate is 20.23 per gram

Back to hattaongardenmatals, asked them for returning my melted gold. Initially I have been told money has been paid, but I said I will return on the spot..then they have added another 40 pounds than the quoted value.

ADVISE here:

1) Don't sell in large amounts..it always ask troubles.

2) If they quote a higher rate per gram, then they are very likely to bring the rate down on playing with grams or carrot value.

Only one without any problem was Lois jewellery (sold gold 2 times last year), very honest.Usually they don't melt..scanning in a minute they tell you the rate immediately.
  • Well done.

I completely agree with you.

Its all about negotiation and bargaining.
  • Has anyone sold dental scrap to an online firm? I don't know the quality of the gold etc so am finding it tough to use some of these firm's websites.
  • I posted to Hatton Garden Metals an American 14 carat bangle and a Turkish 14 carat set of necklace, bracelet and earrings. Before posting, I took the items to two auction houses to be weighed and the weight was confirmed as just over 60.3 grams. They also confirmed that all pieces were marked as 14 carat gold. Hatton Garden Metals paid me for 58.8 grams of 13 carat gold. I phoned and told them that the auctions houses had weighed the gold, and Hatton Garden Metals then sent me a second payment for an extra 2.1 grams of 13 carat gold. But they stuck to their assessment of 13 carat gold and I couldn't prove otherwise. I used Hatton Garden Metals because Martin Lewis said they were ok. But now I'm reading in the forum that Hatton Garden Metals have done the same thing to other people. I got £75 less than I think I should have, and only managed to claw £25 of it back from them with proof of the weight. I won't be using Hatton Garden Metals again.
  • froggy
    froggy Posts: 86 Forumite
    Just used Lois in Birmingham as recommended in Martin's article. You get a quote online and then send special delivery.I got a phone call the next day offering almost as much as the online quote. The difference is because I weighed on kitchen scales. The cheque arrived the next day.I would highly recommend them.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback