Court Summons for Non-Payment of Council Tax

Comments

• Why not sell your bodies round the red light while your at it, any children you could flog?(all said with tongue in cheek)
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    maybe we both could sell a kidney each?
    I wouldn't do that...;)

Seriously though you need to reduce your mortgage repayments from £98 per week to an affordable level. Is it an interest only mortgage?
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Why not post an SOA then and we can maybe help you to reduce your outgoings.

If both of you are working and you cant afford your council tax something is drastically wrong.

Im a pensioner and still manage to pay mine so it has got to be your outgoings that need looking at.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • HappyMJ wrote: »
    I wouldn't do that...;)

Seriously though you need to reduce your mortgage repayments from £98 per week to an affordable level. Is it an interest only mortgage?

That is a reduced mortgage payment (interest only) I made an agreement with our mortgage lender as soon as I realised we would have difficulty in meeting the payments.
    what goes around, comes around...........
  • McKneff wrote: »
    Why not post an SOA then and we can maybe help you to reduce your outgoings.

If both of you are working and you cant afford your council tax something is drastically wrong.

Im a pensioner and still manage to pay mine so it has got to be your outgoings that need looking at.

Ok, erm not sure how to set this out but coming in each week we have (after tax)

hubbys wage - £220
    my wage - £50
    tax credits £50
    child beneft £20

which amounts to £340

then each week going out we have

mortgage £98
    Gas £20
    Electric £20 (both are key meters)
    petrol - £30
    Toll bridge costs - £15
    School bus fares - £12
    TV Licence - £2.78
    Broadband and phone package (work) - £15
    Home phone - £10
    Mobiles x 3 = £6
    Water - £12
    Sewage - £9
    credit card bills - £30
    catalogue - £5
    Insurance - £10
    car insurance £5
    car breakdown cover - £3
    council tax - £31

by my maths, that alone comes to £322 per week, and thats before food, and other things I need to list (boiler breakdown cover, food, etc)

People may say, that we are living beyond our means, which is true, but up until June, my husband was earning more than double he is now, and therefore, we were comfortably off, unfortunately now he has lost his job, we just cant manage anymore, we cant just magic away any debts that we already had, for instance we had a huge vets bill before he lost him job, and although we have pet insurance, the vets wanted payment up front before the operation, so we had to put it on hubs credit card, unfortunately, the insurance company only paid back half of the vets bill. Its all very well being wise after the event, and hindsight would be a wonderful thing, but sadly, its not a gift I have.
  • Oh also, we thought we were being wise when we took out insurance to cover us in the event of unemployment, but because my husband was dismissed from work (even though it is unfair dismissal, and will be proven in court) the insurance wouldnt pay out
  • spring chicken,

You have a tetchy 'we are victims' attitude which doesn't do you much credit, but ultimately matters not on here.

But it will matter in your dealings with the court and other lenders, if that's what it comes to.

Whether you like it or not, you are asking people in these organisations to forego what they are entitled to and help you.

Show a bit of humility to them, and they are more likely to do what you want.
  • NeverAgain wrote: »
    spring chicken,

You have a tetchy 'we are victims' attitude which doesn't do you much credit, but ultimately matters not on here.

But it will matter in your dealings with the court and other lenders, if that's what it comes to.

Whether you like it or not, you are asking people in these organisations to forego what they are entitled to and help you.

Show a bit of humility to them, and they are more likely to do what you want.

what are you talking about? am I supposed to be over the moon whats happened to us since last summer? We thought we were covered for any eventualities, but without going on and on about my husband being dimissed unfairly, and yes we do have a filing cabinet full of evidence to back this, the insurance policies we took out, wont pay out cos of his dismissal! I love the way you assume I am showing a "tetchy" , "we are victims" attitude - its a living nightmare, I am scared of the postman putting another demand through the door, and wont answer my door if I am not expecting someone in case its a debt collector. But you just go ahead and poke fun in how worried I am, thats ok, as long as it makes you feel good.
  • All of your utilities seem high ... can you reduce your usage?

I know people consider their pets as family - and I know this would be a last resort - but have you considered re-homing?

Why do you have three mobiles? Can you reduce to two?
    July 2015 - £7800 to pay off
  • All of your utilities seem high ... can you reduce your usage?

I know people consider their pets as family - and I know this would be a last resort - but have you considered re-homing?

Why do you have three mobiles? Can you reduce to two?

The utitilies are high because we were unable to pay the bills (the dd kept bouncing) so I asked to go on pre-pay meters, that way we can also pay back the arrears. The mobiles are for me, my husband and son, we all need them, husband cos he has to be contacted whilst he is working (he is a delivery driver now) I need mine for work purposes, and my son has one, which I like him to carry for safety reasons. I could never re-home my dog, she is 8 years old now, I have had her from a puppy, and I would rather die than get rid of her
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure