Does anyone have experience of the lightweight tow ball mounted cycle carriers?

Options
$_35.JPG?set_id=880000500F

I'm looking for a towball mounted carrier for 2/3 bikes (futureproofing), and these lightweight ones seem to be a much cheaper / easier to store option than the bigger ones. Has anyone got one or experience of the 2 different types? I'm wary that I'll need to get a lightbar anyway, and that it's going to be pretty flimsy in comparison.

Comments

• AndyBSG
    AndyBSG Posts: 986 Forumite
    Options
    No experience of these lightweight ones unfortunately.

That said I have tried a couple of different ones so will give some feedback.

I tried one of those Halford ones that mounts on the back of the vehicle via the boot/rear windscreen and will definitely advise staying away from them. Even getting the Halfords staff to fit it didn't seem at all secure and was very intrusive WRT rear view visibility.

The one I went for in the end was a Thule RideOn 9503 for 3 bikes.

It's pricey but really is a great carrier.

Can be a pain to work out how to fit all the bikes on first time you use it and I recommend getting a couple of extra ratchet straps for piece of mind but i've been using mine for 4 years now and had no issues with it at all.

Very well made and I honestly can't see it needing replacing for at least another 10 years.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks. I had one of the boot fitted ones before and remember it being a nightmare (including getting access to the boot), so I'll definitely be looking at a tow ball mounted one that tilts. Thule seems to be the way to go, too :)
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 24 August 2016 at 9:29PM
    Options
    The ones that fit to the boot/hatch edges - OK in an emergency, but not for regular use.

I have a Thule which is for 3 bikes, fits on the towbar and has the channels for the bike wheels - a really heavy-duty job. The lighting bar is built-in. It's a super bit of kit and has taken 2 electric bikes and a normal bike (total weight about 50Kg) with no problems at all. Very solid, but quite hard work to lift on and set up.

I also have an old scissor-type (Paddy Hopkirk!) similar to the type illustrated and it is great for one or perhaps two bikes. It's on and off the car in seconds and folds away to nothing. It's also very solid once mounted. I have a separate lighting board for this one. It's the one I would choose every time if I didn't need the capacity of the Thule.

Both can be locked into position, so with that and a cable lock round the relevant bits of the bikes they are fairly secure from theft.

[Edit:] The Thule has a hinge in the main spar so you can drop it down to get into the boot/hatch. The lightweight one doesn't have this. However, dropping the Thule with 3 bikes on board is a major production number involving four strong men and a dog, and it's probably just as quick to take the bikes off the PH one and remove it as it is to drop the Thule.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,116 Forumite
    Options
    We have a slightly older 4 bike version of that. It had a fixing plate behind the towbar, which meant you could mount it on the plate and still use the towbar.

We did thousands of miles with it, often long trips to France, with two adult and two teens bikes. It swung a bit and creaked a bit on bumps but didn't let us down. I packed the bikes carefully to prevent them rubbing on the journey.

The fold down facility was of no use with the bikes on. It was easier using someone at both ends and lifting the whole lot off than trying to fold it.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,623 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I did splash out on one of these.

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-specific-accessories/atera_strada_sport_m_3_to_4_bike_carrier_no_ar2685/Qx%40w%2C6M42VAwp3%40Rb%7B%7EcC4ure5iWX2

Great bit of kit, easy to fit, rock solid and you can still open the hatch with bikes mounted.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I managed to get one of the proper towball racks (Thule RideOn) from the roof box company, incidently (great customer service too) in a clearance :)

imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fa0.amlimg.com%2FNjc4NmU5OTJkYTA3NWM1YTA0NzZlOTk4ZGViZDgxODRwBxI28Xo2XFHVWQ4_wRscaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vNWFlNTVmYTU0NmI5MmRkNjE0NGI0NWY5Yzc1ZGY0OWQxODQ5NWNhNDY2MWM5MWI0MTYyMThhNmUzNjAwYTI4YS5qcGd8fHx8fHw1MDB4NTAwfGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.adverts.ie%2Fother-bike-parts-accessories%2Fthule-9403-3-bike-tow-bar-carrier%2F9821861&docid=i61vkiUImQ5ZOM&tbnid=U2gKMtSb4B5s3M%3A&w=500&h=500&client=firefox-b&bih=764&biw=1160&ved=0ahUKEwjJ5d2oq-bOAhVJGsAKHaWWB0wQMwgjKAYwBg&iact=mrc&uact=8
    imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fa0.amlimg.com%2FNjc4NmU5OTJkYTA3NWM1YTA0NzZlOTk4ZGViZDgxODRwBxI28Xo2XFHVWQ4_wRscaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vNWFlNTVmYTU0NmI5MmRkNjE0NGI0NWY5Yzc1ZGY0OWQxODQ5NWNhNDY2MWM5MWI0MTYyMThhNmUzNjAwYTI4YS5qcGd8fHx8fHw1MDB4NTAwfGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.adverts.ie%2Fother-bike-parts-accessories%2Fthule-9403-3-bike-tow-bar-carrier%2F9821861&docid=i61vkiUImQ5ZOM&tbnid=U2gKMtSb4B5s3M%3A&w=500&h=500&client=firefox-b&bih=764&biw=1160&ved=0ahUKEwjJ5d2oq-bOAhVJGsAKHaWWB0wQMwgjKAYwBg&iact=mrc&uact=8
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    Options
    I have one similar to that, bought off ebay for something like £10 and its great. Keep it in the boot just in case.

Dont forget you will probably need a lighting board though.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure