Buying a tumble dryer - What to look for?

Options
13»

Comments

• missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 22 February 2018 at 2:23PM
    Options
    Just make sure it has a auto cycle, mine is really annoying as you have to tell it how long to spin for so you have to gauge when loading it how long it will take to dry the washing. Better machines have settings like 'airing cupboard dry' or 'cupboard dry' which saves all the guessing.

Settings do no more than adjust the timer.
    I only ever use two settings; 'cupboard dry' is 1.55 and 'cupboard extra dry' is 1.59.
    I would have thought you could remember the appropriate times for your own machine?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • womble12345
    Options
    I thought they would keep drying until water was no longer trickling into the collection bucket and then stop.

How stupid that cupboard dry is a set time? That means if you only put one pair of pants in it will take the same time as if you put in 10 heavy towels.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    benjus wrote: »
    Wow... 1.5 days is a LOT. I use the clothes rail/dehumidifier setup and light clothes (shirts etc) are completely dry in a couple of hours when running the dehumidifier in maximum power laundry mode, with things like towels taking about double that. Is yours a compressor or desiccant dehumidifier? (mine is desiccant) Is there any damp in the room you use?

The room is not damp, but it is cold (rural property with fields around) and so it can be hard to tell if the clothes are dry, or just cold.

The utility room is also unheated and has no door to the kitchen. I have a mobility issues and the door was hard work for me to manage in a restricted space so we took it off. Unless we light the kitchen fire there is also no heating in the kitchen. It means the dehumidifier is also drying two rooms as there is no door and the air can be very cold.

Light items, like shirts, or gym kit will take about 1 day to dry, but towels can still feel damp and need a few more hours the next day (less if the fire is lit).

It is a condensing type dehumidifier.
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The room is not damp, but it is cold (rural property with fields around) and so it can be hard to tell if the clothes are dry, or just cold.

The utility room is also unheated and has no door to the kitchen. I have a mobility issues and the door was hard work for me to manage in a restricted space so we took it off. Unless we light the kitchen fire there is also no heating in the kitchen. It means the dehumidifier is also drying two rooms as there is no door and the air can be very cold.

Light items, like shirts, or gym kit will take about 1 day to dry, but towels can still feel damp and need a few more hours the next day (less if the fire is lit).

It is a condensing type dehumidifier.

Well it sounds like you don't have space for the rack any more, but if you did consider continuing to use a dehumidifier, I think that switching to a desiccant model could make quite a difference - they generally perform better than compressor models in colder environments and they warm the air slightly.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Sensor dryers sense the dampness of the clothes & supposedly stop when the selected humidity is reached. Personally I just put the tumble dryer on for 40 minutes & that works for me every time. But mine was made before sensor dryers had been invented!
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    missile wrote: »
    Settings do no more than adjust the timer.
    I only ever use two settings; 'cupboard dry' is 1.55 and 'cupboard extra dry' is 1.59.
    I would have thought you could remember the appropriate times for your own machine?

Decent machines have a sensor, the setting set the moisture level for the sensor, the time shown will be a guess and adjusted during the cycle.

I know mine says 3hrs for extra but in reality only takes around 2hr on most of the full loads.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    you will read that heatpump don't work at low temps.

Ours is in the garage and seems to be ok.
  • kellyp
    kellyp Posts: 181 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Recently bought a condenser having never had one before. A lot of them can be plumbed into the sink drainage and no need to empty. I planned to do this but didn't get around to it and actually it's no hassle emptying and you can even use the water for your iron. I looked at heat pumps but the extra cost for the higher efficiency just wasn't worth it. Also they take a lot longer to dry your clothes. I bought quite a simple basic zanussi and it's perfect.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks for all the help everyone - much appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure