PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

New house, burst pipe

Options

Comments

• LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »

In any event, there is no law against lack of initiative.

I wonder why not? :cool:
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you took your car in for a new tyre and the fitter found the brake pike leaking after removing the wheel would he not tell you even though its not in the contract?
    If you'd like us to give useful advice, you need to make up your mind about what the facts are.
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,721 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MY argument would be WHY did the plumber rip you off £300. Perhaps you should name and shame him (her?)

All that was needed was to turn the water off. Now, call me old fashioned, but surely one of the first things you do in a new house is find the stopcock and check that it works and actually shuts off the water?

Anyone that lacks the common sense to know how to turn off their own water is just asking to be ripped off by a vulture praying on the uneducated.

You probably didn't even need to turn off all the water. Follow the hose back to where it joins to proper pipework, usually under the sink or in a cupboard next to the washing machine, and where the hose screws on there is a 1/4 turn valve there built into the fitting that would shut it off the water to the washing machine only.

A new hose would cost about £5.
  • Freecall
    Freecall Posts: 1,306 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »

In any event, there is no law against lack of initiative.

LandyAndy wrote: »
    I wonder why not? :cool:

Because the prisons would be full.

;)
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I think you should apply the Infinite Monkey Theorem. If you make enough claims one will eventually lead to a pay out.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Called out an emergency plumber . cost over £300.
    Should I claim against the removals company, house insurance or accept it as my fault?

The last, but if you'd have called me, I'd have done it for you for £275.
  • armchaireconomist
    Options
    How can you claim against the company who fitted it your (note, it is YOUR property) faulty pipe? Was it their fault that YOUR pipe was faulty?

More to the matter, why is the removal company fitting it? Are they plumbers?
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Do you phone an electrician when you need a light bulb changing?
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Think the replies are unreasonably caustic.

Yes, when I move, if there is any doubt about a washing machine pipe, I get a new one. Not a huge expense. Would never rely on a previous owner's pipes. Yes, ideally you know where stop cocks are.., but I still don't know where mine are in this house inspite of asking council and neighbours lol. It isn't where it is supposed to be (under sink), that's for sure.

But that still doesn't deserve the replies that have been given.

There is such a lot going on when you move, there are always things you don't look into enough.

I am sure it won't be something the OP will repeat. They were very unfortunate the pipe wasn't sound. But I doubt they will be able to ask anyone for compensation unless they can prove the damage was caused by negligence caused by someone who should have known better, and was a job specified by themselves (and not done as specified).

I am afraid I can hear the removals company now saying 'we plumbed in the washing machine, we weren't asked to check the pipes'. Sorry.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Think the replies are unreasonably caustic.
    I agree that replies were probably overly robust, but I suspect that's due to the OP asking, "Should I claim against the removals company, house insurance or accept it as my fault?" in that order, without any indication that the service was more than a favour.

My point was that attempting to get compo when things go wrong after a goodwill gesture, reduces the possibility that others will be helped in the future.

If there was a contract to carry out this work as an extra, that would be different, but the OP hasn't returned to say there was.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure