Advice needed! Credit cards

Hi there, I currently have 2 credit cards with a balance of around £10k. I don’t have any offers on there and I’m working my backside off to get rid of them. Would I be better off getting a Third card to completely get rid of the other 2 and focussing on getting rid of the other 2?

If so, does anyone have any recommendations on which type or suppliers?

Cheers

Comments

• Not enough info to say. Whether you can get a suitable card depends on your circumstances.

As a starter, try an eligibility check for a BT card.

It would also be with a visit to the DFW boards.
  • katie4
    katie4 Posts: 430
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Hi have you tried your local credit union?
    I wasn't eligible to get another credit card, BT - balance transfer card or loan elsewhere so i turned to my local credit union and they accepted my loan application to clear my credit card, its more affordable eac month and saving me a lot in interest. If you do choose this option though make sure you cancel the cards once they're paid off so you're not tempting to use them again
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    katie4 wrote: »
    Hi have you tried your local credit union?
    I wasn't eligible to get another credit card, BT - balance transfer card or loan elsewhere so i turned to my local credit union and they accepted my loan application to clear my credit card, its more affordable eac month and saving me a lot in interest. If you do choose this option though make sure you cancel the cards once they're paid off so you're not tempting to use them again

Try your local credit union OP but they may ask you start saving with them first before they offer you credit which may not be worth it.
  • katie4
    katie4 Posts: 430
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Try your local credit union OP but they may ask you start saving with them first before they offer you credit which may not be worth it.

I have to save £10 a month with them on top of the loan repayments
    I can then either access the savings once the loan is paid off or once the loan and savings balance match I can use the savings to pay off the loan
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Not sure of your circumstances but you could apply with your bank for a personal loan for £10k (payable eg over 36 months) and use it to pay off your card. Personal loan rates (eg Lloyds 3.9%, Asda 2.8%) will be significantly lower than the astronomical credit card rates.

If you get one, don't forget to cut up the credit cards!
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    katie4 wrote: »
    I have to save £10 a month with them on top of the loan repayments
    I can then either access the savings once the loan is paid off or once the loan and savings balance match I can use the savings to pay off the loan

My post wasnt directed at you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport