This site saved my sanity

Hi

Just like to say thanks and commend this site for all the help its given me, i worked abroad for a number of years and had a VERY good time in the process, but unfortunately left my debts to get steadily worse and worse in the meantime, also just recently got married and all in all woke up one day to find myself 20k + in debt and not making much more than my monthly repayments now i work in blighty again.
Started fretting and was put onto this site by a friend, after a few months of looking around studying this site cutting expenses here and there using a lot of the tips on this site and generally getting more and more financially savvy i had the "lightbulb " moment where i decided it was time to do something about it, being under the impression that i may not be loanworthy etc as i had missed a few payments on one of my loans at the start of the year, that plus being in my current job for less than 6 months and not being on the electoral roll i wasnt expecting to get very far with a consolidation loan, anyway i called my bank ( Natwest ) and decided to have a "financial review " expecting it to be the first step and not really holding much hope that it would produce anything worthwhile ..after all it is NATWEST !!!! but gave them a shot anyway. turns out that they said i had a good credit score and gave me a 25K loan at 6.7% enabling me to cut my Barclaycard ( 18.9%) and my Natwest mastercard ( 18.9% or thereabouts ) up and pay off my other loans that were a higher APR, and reducing my outgoings from almost £700 a month to just over £350, im still in debt but its more manageable now and i know the exact date when i'll be free of it all.
So i guess the moral of the story is first, you may not be as uncreditworthy as you think, and second, study this site..learn as much as you can about moneysaving and about taking control of your debts as they wont just magically disappear, and dont stop being in control as even though i am in a better position now i wont just sit back and let it happen again im going to keep on trying to keep my outgoings down and spend less on what i do spend money on.
Thanks Martin, and thanks Moneysavers.

( Also ) Martin

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills