equity release

Options

Comments

• bostonerimus
    Options
    Linton wrote: »
    So you are 61 and have £50k of debts and £120k equity. Looking at one of the main provider's website it would seem that the maximum amount you could get for equity release rolling up the nterest into the mortgage is 20% of the value of the house.

A quick bit of arithmetic shows that no matter what the value of the house this could never get you enough money to pay off your debts and your mortgage......

What I'm puzzled about is the ex's interest in the home. The OP says they want to do equity release, but what does the ex have to say about it? Surely they need to approve and would then also get part of the equity release further reducing the money the OP gets.

If the OP sells and the sale nets 120k and then half goes to the ex then they have 60k which will pay off all the debts and leave 10k for a fresh start.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    What I'm puzzled about is the ex's interest in the home. The OP says they want to do equity release, but what does the ex have to say about it? Surely they need to approve and would then also get part of the equity release further reducing the money the OP gets.

If the OP sells and the sale nets 120k and then half goes to the ex then they have 60k which will pay off all the debts and leave 10k for a fresh start.

True, but I cant see being homeless at 61 with only £10K to your name as a very enticing prospect.
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 25 September 2017 at 4:48PM
    Options
    True, but I cant see being homeless at 61 with only £10K to your name as a very enticing prospect.

That's true, but the OP could rent. They mentioned 20k income and the 10k would be an emergency fund. Certainly there would need to be some acceptance of change and budgeting, but 20k income, no debt and 10k in the bank is a situation that some would envy. I understand that it is difficult to go from a home owner to a renter, but maybe the OP needs to do that to get rid of the debt that seems to be a big worry.

I just don't see how the OP can take out something like a lifetime mortgage and probably wipe out all equity in the house when the ex still has some interest in the home and gets some money on a sale.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • leval
    Options
    I have been researching equity release on the internet. It appears that in order to have access to all offerings, you need to be referred by an adviser. I have contacted several comparison companies, to each of whom I have had to supply my telephone number. When they call back, it seems to be the same person each time, directing me to the same company I originally approached. Because my home is in a relatively low-value area and I am 67, the amount I can release is low, but sufficient to my needs. HOWEVER the company of advisers has a minimum "advice fee" of £1390 which equates to 4.8% of the maximum I could release - for higher amounts the fee is 1.9% of the release amount.Needless to say I will not be continuing with this company. Please, everyone, be aware and ask any potential adviser up-front what their fees are especially if the amount you can release is relatively low
  • Linton
    Options
    I suggest you dont start off with the comparison companies. Much better for you to find an independent mortgage advisor/IFA who you are happy to work with. The advisor should understand your situation and then discuss the options, benefits and risks with you. If you want to go ahead he/she will be able to choose the best deal available that match your needs.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Is love a question of ££££££s?

Of course not, if you and your loved ones live on the African savannah, in which case love is a question of animal skins and the odd chunk of wildebeest when their hunting hasn't gone well. If you love someone you will gain pleasure from making them happy, one way of making them happy (not the only way) is to give them stuff they need, and in the UK stuff is represented by £s.

Likewise you will gain misery if you flush £53k down the drain that you could have used to make them happy. If the £53k is the price you have to pay for releasing £20k of your equity and the alternative is penury, then so be it - interest is not evil. Giving someone your entire house in exchange for a quarter of its value is however an extreme trade-off, and the cases where it is the best solution are consequently extremely rare.
    Any argument about the oldies spending their own money now vs giving it to the next generation, if any and if they need it, is very far from being limited to equity release.

Equity release is not about spending your own money vs giving it to the next generation, it's about spending your own money and giving 3-5x your own money to an insurance company.
  • Linton
    edited 26 September 2017 at 10:04AM
    Options
    Malthusian wrote: »
    Equity release is not about spending your own money vs giving it to the next generation, it's about spending your own money and giving 3-5x your own money to an insurance company.

The question of 3-5 times is a matter of optimising the time when you do equity release. One can conceive of circumstances (unmanageable high interest debts perhaps) when early equity release may be the best way forward but if it's for your own use then a rational person would compare the possibility of say 25% at 60 with 50% of presumably a much higher value at 80 (numbers taken from the Aviva calculator), or something in between. Planning to take Equity Release later would enable you to drawdown a pension pot faster than would otherwise be prudent.

If you dont use equity release of any form then when you die you leave behind a small fortune. You may love your relations, but surely you could reasonably consider that donating a pot of say £300K when you've spent the previous 20 years living on £20K/year may be a little OTT.

Another point to consider is that of course you dont have to take out the maximum. In the example of £20K spent on bingo rising to £72K, there could easily have been perhaps £200K left for the relatives.
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 September 2017 at 12:50PM
    Options

If you dont use equity release of any form then when you die you leave behind a small fortune. You may love your relations, but surely you could reasonably consider that donating a pot of say £300K when you've spent the previous 20 years living on £20K/year may be a little OTT.

I would like more people to pass wealth between generations. The compounding of wealth between generations is even more powerful than compounding during a single lifetime. Of course there is still a general perception in the UK that family wealth is only appropriate for a certain type of person.

Unfortunately for the OP doing equity release comparatively early will result in a big payday for the equity release company and might not leave much money after the debts are paid off.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The question of 3-5 times is a matter of optimising the time when you do equity release. One can conceive of circumstances (unmanageable high interest debts perhaps) when early equity release may be the best way forward but if it's for your own use then a rational person would compare the possibility of say 25% at 60 with 50% of presumably a much higher value at 80 (numbers taken from the Aviva calculator), or something in between.

If they're still doing such calculations in their 80s and they're planning to stay in their own home, then they're probably planning for their 90s and beyond. So the cost of equity release will still be prohibitive. Unless, of course, they have no heirs, no favourite charities and no reason to care about who gets the house.

If living into their 90s seems unlikely, then care needs will be uppermost in their mind, which means equity release is unlikely to be appropriate given how it will restrict their options.

Most people in their 80s for whom equity release was a good idea will have already done it.
    £20k / year sounds like a good living to me. What would I do with a £150k lump sum having been accustomed to £20k a year? Buy the ever-popular Lamborghini? In my 80s? Go from my poverty-stricken existence on £20k a year to the jet-set lifestyle of £26k a year? Whoop de do.
    Another point to consider is that of course you dont have to take out the maximum. In the example of £20K spent on bingo rising to £72K, there could easily have been perhaps £200K left for the relatives.
    "You can draw on the capital flexibly" is like "you can pay the annual interest so it doesn't roll up and swallow the house". People only do those things in the brochure. In the real world of equity release everyone borrows the maximum and nobody pays the interest. Either you care about what happens to your money after you die or you don't; if the latter it makes no sense to take only some of the money available.

This has inevitably diverged from the point I took issue with. The idea that you should care about only yourself and should attach no value to leaving an inheritance (or making gifts in life) is as irrational as its opposite, that you should only care about your inheritance and should attach no value to your own needs.
  • DELLBOY_2
    Options
    could you not sell your home to your children to cover your debts and sign it over to them after your death .A bit like a family funded equaty release ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure