ESA stopped. Can't get through to DWP

My son has been on ESA for 6 months. He has had a medical assessment about a month ago, but heard nothing yet on a decision, except he had a missed call from them after about a week which he returned and got a recorded message saying his call has been logged. But his ESA payments have stopped despite having a doctor's unfit to work certificate. He has tried for 3 days to get the to the DWP to find out what's going on but there's a permanent recorded message saying to call back later.

Really don't know what to try next. Apparently if he calls about his medical decision they won't tell you overvthe'phone anyway.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Comments

• paragon909
    paragon909 Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Topcat2007 wrote: »
    My son has been on ESA for 6 months. He has had a medical assessment about a month ago, but heard nothing yet on a decision, except he had a missed call from them after about a week which he returned and got a recorded message saying his call has been logged. But his ESA payments have stopped despite having a doctor's unfit to work certificate. He has tried for 3 days to get the to the DWP to find out what's going on but there's a permanent recorded message saying to call back later.

Really don't know what to try next. Apparently if he calls about his medical decision they won't tell you overvthe'phone anyway.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Well if payments have been stopped then the decision for the assessment made have already been made.

Call DWP enquiry line 0345 608 8545 and you would be able to speak to an advisor at ESA, Who will be able to let you know whats happening.
  • Topcat2007
    Topcat2007 Posts: 51 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 May 2016 at 10:06AM
    Thanks but that is the number he has been calling for 3 days, permanently on a call us back another time message.

Also he has had no correspondence after his medical assessment.
  • paragon909
    paragon909 Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Topcat2007 wrote: »
    Thanks but that is the number he has been calling for 3 days, permanently on a call us back another time message.

Also he has had no correspondence after his medical assessment.

What do you mean you keep getting a message? Are you able to speak to an advisor at ESA, Normally they would send a message to the benefit delivery centre for them to call you back.
  • Topcat2007
    No, he gets a recorded message saying they are busy and to call back another time.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,948 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    thats really odd because I've just put the phone down after speaking to them using that number. had to hold for 10 minutes but no 'call back later' message ... just an advisor will be with you as quickly as possible
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    All you can do is keep calling. Make sure you are calling the number given above.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You'll be pleased to know there is a 'glitch' in the system and you should be paid later today.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5459097
  • Ugguy
    Ugguy Posts: 56 Forumite
    Sounds to me like they were deliberately choosing not to answer your calls.
  • dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Ugguy wrote: »
    Sounds to me like they were deliberately choosing not to answer your calls.

Why would they do that?
  • Topcat2007
    Git through about 3pm. Thanks to all who replied. Think it must have been a busy were due to Bank Holiday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure