PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    What does that mean? They haven't been worn?

I'm a fan of khaki, so they sound really nice. :)
    The paper label is the size of a button on the collar of a man's button-down shirt IYSWIM and after a garment has been washed it looks a bit crumpled and it usually disappears after a few washes so if I find something that has this in pristine condition it's a sign to me that it hasn't been washed.

You won't find it on all clothes but M&S seem to use them, I think it's to do with quality control.

I always check the care label because if it's faded it shows that the garment has been well-washed (& therefore probably well-worn).

The trousers are lovely, it's a style from a few years ago.
    I have black, purple, navy, white, taupe with a white stripe & a pair of fawn ones with cream flowers on.
    They are flat fronted so are flattering and soooo comfy to wear.

When I'm not in one of my tropical print maxi dresses :D, you'll find me in linen trousers.

I know you like khaki, I remember a jacket you bought ages ago - with some sort of Andes/Nepalese trim?

The trousers are a lovely weight of linen - it's something that M&S do really well - and a fab colour. The 'stripes' are very thin and different thickness so they don't have the 'pinstripe' effect.

When I tried them on I was hoping to get away with wearing wedges but they are hopelessly long so I'll take them up to wear with flat sandals.
  • Georgiegirl256
    Georgiegirl256 Posts: 7,005 Forumite
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I know you like khaki, I remember a jacket you bought ages ago - with some sort of Andes/Nepalese trim?

That's right! I'm wearing it at the moment and it's coming in very handy when the weather is starting to cool down abit again! I had it on yesterday, and it just goes to show different people's views of charity shops. I saw two of my aunties yesterday, and one is a charity shop fan and the other isn't. The one who is was really enthusiastic about my buy, and the other was like "erm yeah lovely!" once she found out where it was from! :p

I've seen garments with that sticker on before, and they did look as new. Like you say, it seems to be mainly M&S.

The husband of the charity shop hater loves them! :rotfl: We've started to go out on bike rides lately, and the finishing point is usually a Chazza....which we then have to keep secret from my Aunty, as I think she's banned him from taking anymore stuff into the house....he smuggles it into his Man Shed instead! :D
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,906 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Called into the community shop on Monday and was tempted by an LK Bennet, cobalt blue, dressy top on the sale rail for £1.25. Was put off as the label said size 8 even though it looked more like a 12. Had a squiz online later on to find the top is currently selling for £99 :eek: Called in again on Tuesday and much to my surprise it was still there and had been moved to the 'everything for £1' rail. So, I tried it on and it fitted, (a little snugly so will have to wear a boob flattening bra rather than an enhancing one:o), so I couldn't resist! Will go nicely with the LK Bennet skirt I got a few months ago. Will give me great pleasure to think I am dressed head to foot in LK Bennet, (a la Kate Middleton) for just over a fiver......:rotfl:
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    silvasava wrote: »
    Bogof Babe - try cleaning the collar of your Barbour jacket with wet wipes. It's a tip given me by a CS staff member & often works very well. I use them to clean the collar on a silk jacket so I don't have to have it cleaned! They also work well on the odd spot mark too.

Going to my friends wedding today in the dress I bought from Sue Ryder and shoes from a cancer trust - I shall look smart for under a tenner!!!

Thanks for that tip, I will try it out.

Been back to the everything £1 place today and got a really pretty cotton top. It's BHS so probably a collectors item soon :( .
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• I went to Scope this morning, to dropped a bag of stuff off. I saw a commemorative Hornsea mug designed by children for Princess Diana and Prince Charles' wedding, it was on sale for a £1. I went home and looked online for it, and found it's worth a bit more than that, so I went back this afternoon and bought it. I also picked up two childrens/teens book that I read previously when I was younger, for £1, as it was buy one, get one free on books.

I also went into my local hospice shop this morning, and bought a Malcolm Pryce Aberystwyth book for 50p. The spine is a bit faded, and the pages are tanned, but the books in this particular series aren't usually discounted even on Amazon, so I thought I'd get it.
  • Georgiegirl256
    Georgiegirl256 Posts: 7,005 Forumite
    edited 28 July 2016 at 6:07PM
    From the AgeUK where all clothing is £1, I got a red John Rocha coat which will be great for Autumn/Winter. A John Rocha khaki t-shirt and a blue and grey floral vest top. Didn't actually cost me anything as my uncle insisted on buying them for me!
  • Sayschezza
    Sayschezza Posts: 744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Clarks handbag new £2.50
    Vyella top £2.50
    Phase Eight top £3.50
    Eastex top £1.50
    Necklace 50p
    All that clutter used to be money
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I resisted buying the baby any clothes 1/2 price at Tu yesterday evening, even though they were really cute - rationalising that I could get better value barely worn stuff from the chazzer today. Wrong! Prices for dresses in the chaz seem to have gone crazy, Tu is actually better value at sale time. Not that she actually needs anything!

Nothing in the book department, but I bought a beautiful cerise light but good quality cardigan that is ideal to cover my shoulders on summer evenings - and a great match for my favourite dresses - for £2.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • I managed to pick up a shorts playsuit by chance the other week in British Heart Foundation, tried it on when I got home and found the original sales tag of £32 from Debs on it... I paid £4. Bargain!

Perfect fit too :)
    Life gets in the way...PADding is addictive...Saving's better than spending...
    2024 1p challenge #11 | Cash envelope challenge #01 | SPC #017
    Sealed pot 2024 £2551.68 | EF £1000/£1000 | Sabbatical £970/£3000 | Holiday spends £540 | General Saver £2422.48
  • charlies-aunt
    charlies-aunt Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    On holiday in France at the moment and shopping in the Brocantes and Vide Greniers locally (Car Boot sales) so not sure if it counts
    Today bought four large, heavy linen, handmade drawn thread work linen table cloths for approx. £13 and six vintage, drawn thread work large linen table napkins for £4 from a dealer who was selling up .... the biggest table cloth on its own was marked up at 50 euros so to get that and three others for 15 euro seemed like a bargain - beautiful, heavy white linen - amazing quality for just over £3 each.
    Not essentials but I know I will use these a lot and get a lot of pleasure from them
    Also bought four vintage horn handled knives for 1 euro (85p) in lovely condition that will make beautiful unusual cheese knives
    :heartpuls The best things in life aren't things :heartpuls

2017 Grocery challenge £110.00 per week/ £5720 a year

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family