Tesco PPI Rejection Letter

Options
Hi I recently sent off a questionaire to Tesco bank regarding ppi which I had on the card since june 2000 my reasons were:-
I did not speak to anyone about PPI
I had good job security with 6 months full pay and 6 months half if I went off sick
I do not recall requestin PPI

Tesco's response was as follows :-

I have reviewed your concerns and advise the following :

your application was completed via the post and no sales person was present to speak to you

The application form gave you the option to add payment protection insurance by ticking a box to confirm you wished to add the policy to your account.This choice was not preselcted,therefore I am satisfied the PPI was added with your knowledge and consent and was presented to you on a optional basis.

A policy summary accompanied the application form and together they covered the main characteristics including costs and features.The benefits ,limitations and exclusions such as backache,volutary redundancy or if you had knowledege of any impending unemployment were also explained in detail.The summary also highlited you had 30 days to cancel PPI .The full policy and terms and conditions would have been sent toyour home further detailing the account features.The cost of the policy were 70p per £100 outstanding on the account and interest would be charged in line with the terms and conditions. based on the infromation provided with you applicationyou were elegible for PPI.Having employer benefits and job security would not affectv the outcome of a claim.Your monthly statements would hav emade you aware of how much you were paying for PPI.

Your tesco card application was made on a non advised sales proces.We provided you with the full policy details to enable you to review your circumstances before determining if the cover was suitable for your needs.There was no requirement for TescoBank to asses the suitability of the cover for your circumstances or to assess your needs.

Tesco had a duty of carre to you to provide sufficient information about PPI to enable you to make an informed choice in decisding to add the cover to your credit card.On this occasion I feel you were given sufficicent information to do so.

Based on the infromation avaiable ,|I am therefore unable to agree with the concerns you have raised.I hope you understand why we are unable to offer a refund of your premiums.

Based on their reply is it worth me challenging them I cannot remember financial matters from nearly 15 years ago.
should I submit a SAR to them , also whn I sent in the questionaire I forgot to mention I had savings in 2000 of £ 1,000 in a credit union and premium bonds of £500 left to me by my dad so I could have made repayments for a while had I been made redundant At the time I worked for the local authority for 10 years with a decentb pension etc.

Any advice would be most welcome :o:o

Comments

• Nearlyold
    Nearlyold Posts: 2,289 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 July 2015 at 5:34PM
    Options
    On what basis are you saying it was missold, if you applied through the post and ticked the box to say yes to PPI, whilst your personal circumstances, savings, job benefits etc can be good reasons not to have PPI they are all irrelevant to your complaint because it was not an advised sale. You needed to focus your complaint on what you believe Tesco did wrong not reasons why you shouldn't have ticked the yes to PPI box.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,378 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I did not speak to anyone about PPI

That verifies that you were not mis-sold it and cannot use any of the complaint reasons (like having sick pay etc)
    I do not recall requestin PPI

Yet they have a postal application that says you did.
    Based on their reply is it worth me challenging them I cannot remember financial matters from nearly 15 years ago.

It doesnt matter what your financial matters were 15 years ago. You applied without any interaction with an individual. You get less consumer protection when that happens as you do with most DIY purchases.
    hould I submit a SAR to them
    how do you think that will help?
    also whn I sent in the questionaire I forgot to mention I had savings in 2000 of £ 1,000 in a credit union and premium bonds of £500 left to me by my dad so I could have made repayments for a while had I been made redundant At the time I worked for the local authority for 10 years with a decentb pension etc.

all irrelevant as you were not sold it. you bought it.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • whaoodeal1
    Options
    Thank you both for your replies based on which I should just forget it
    My reason for asking for the SAR is that I believe the card was sent out and I think the box was already ticked I am probably wrong but my recollection of applying for credit cards around that time was that you submitted an application or phoned up you were then sent the card with an activation number on once you did they then sent out the ppi stuff with a cooling off period of 30 days

i could be totally wrong about all of the above but I dont recall being sent the information before applying for the card .Around this time banks and companies were issuing cards quite eaisly
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,378 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My reason for asking for the SAR is that I believe the card was sent out and I think the box was already ticked

That is an internet thing. It doesnt work on paper. If it was already ticked, how would you untick it?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • whaoodeal1
    Options
    Like I said I am probably wrong on that point but I still cannot recall asking for PPI I have no paperwork from that time so by sending off the SAR I assume they would have to send me everything relating to my account
  • Oilyrag
    Options
    Had the same letter from Tesco - went to the Ombudsman - upheld my claim, reasons - the PPI had no real benefit due to the T&C's being so poor.

I reckon Tesco just try it on to see how hard you will try.

Answer back from Ombudsman in a matter of days.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oilyrag wrote: »
    Had the same letter from Tesco - went to the Ombudsman - upheld my claim, reasons - the PPI had no real benefit due to the T&C's being so poor.

I reckon Tesco just try it on to see how hard you will try.

Answer back from Ombudsman in a matter of days.

PPI problems relate to miss-selling

If someone applied for a loan or card without anyone from Tesco present and chose to tick the box to say they wanted PPI then by logical definition they cannot have been miss-sold as they were never sold anything.

The FOS is a law unto itself, I'd be surprised if Tesco didn't appeal it unless they decided to give in and pay out to get rid of the case
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure