Will you get paid housing benefit if you pay 6 months in advance?

Given that you are eligible to claim and receive housing benefit, will you get paid housing benefit if you pay 6 months rental to a private landlord, in advance, rather than the usual one month at a time?
Thanks for reading. Live long & prosper

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Given that you are eligible to claim and receive housing benefit, will you get paid housing benefit if you pay 6 months rental to a private landlord, in advance, rather than the usual one month at a time?

Yes, you will.

3.160 If rent has already been paid for a future period, the claimant
    • is regarded as liable to make payments for the duration of the HB claim even though
    payment has already been made for some or all of the period and the liability is therefore
    discharged, and
    • will receive HB for the benefit weeks covered by the advance payment, even though no
    actual payments are due in those weeks. An example is when a claimant pays rent monthly
    in advance
  • fox_warrior
    fox_warrior Posts: 87 Forumite
    pmlindyloo wrote: »
    Yes, you will.

3.160 If rent has already been paid for a future period, the claimant
    • is regarded as liable to make payments for the duration of the HB claim even though
    payment has already been made for some or all of the period and the liability is therefore
    discharged, and
    • will receive HB for the benefit weeks covered by the advance payment, even though no
    actual payments are due in those weeks. An example is when a claimant pays rent monthly
    in advance

Thanks for your reply. I'm guessing from the (3.160) your quoting a paragraph from some form of document / rule. I'm interested to read more. If that's the case could you let me know where I can read / find it please?
  • Thanks for your reply. I'm guessing from the (3.160) your quoting a paragraph from some form of document / rule. I'm interested to read more. If that's the case could you let me know where I can read / find it please?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/housing-benefit-information-guidance-and-good-practice-for-local-authority-staff

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/236950/hbgm-a3-liability-to-make-payments.pdf
    These are my own views and you should seek advice from your local Benefits Department or CAB.
  • fox_warrior

Thanks very much for the links. They look to be a mine of useful information that I would never have found without your help. I was / am going to ring my local authority to ask and explain further but the offices are closed so I thought I'd post on here as I know there are a lot of people that may be able to give an indication as you both have done. Thanks again for your replies.
  • Hi,

This Happened when my Grandfather sold his home, he paid 6 months rent In advance and my Unle in turn claimed the HB for it. May be an idea to have a chat with the CAB or welfare rights as to the legality of it though just to be on the safe side.

RC
  • fox_warrior
    Hi,

This Happened when my Grandfather sold his home, he paid 6 months rent In advance and my Unle in turn claimed the HB for it. May be an idea to have a chat with the CAB or welfare rights as to the legality of it though just to be on the safe side.

RC

Thanks RC. I'm going to phone my local housing benefit office tomorrow to find out what they say is allowed and how to go about it if they agree it's ok to rent that way and claim HB.
  • Thanks RC. I'm going to phone my local housing benefit office tomorrow to find out what they say is allowed and how to go about it if they agree it's ok to rent that way and claim HB.

They will refer to the Housing Benefit legislation that has been quoted above.
    These are my own views and you should seek advice from your local Benefits Department or CAB.
  • fox_warrior
    I've been in touch with my local HB office and they said there's no problem paying 6 months in advance. Given that the HB claim is accepted it will be paid in arrears 4 weekly. It doesn't matter who pays the 6 months rent, that's between the tenant and the landlord/lady. When/if a property is found the prospective tenant can ring the HB office and ask for a "Manual calculation" and get an amount of HB & Council Tax that they will receive before actually going ahead with the tenancy agreement.
  • Could anyone find any guidence about this regarding the housing element of UC. Is it still ok to pay 6 months in advance and receive housing element?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Give that under UC all payments are converted to a monthly figure I see no reason for the housing element not to be included.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/720527/admf3.pdf

Calendar monthly average
    F3080 All relevant payments will be taken into account as a calendar monthly amount
    F3081 Where any relevant payment is due for a period other than calendar monthly it will be calculated as an average of all payments due in a 12 month period.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback