Cooking for one

Comments

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    LameWolf wrote: »
    Monnagran I'm so pleased the nut loaf goes down well. I adapted it from a Linda McC recipe; the original has a fancy filling in the middle which wouldn't work for freezing, and it's actually listed as a recipe for party food.

Nelski that cucumber and onion recipe looks interesting; quite often I get three cucumbers for £1 at the F&V market stall; I sometimes make raita with one of them.

Its lovely :) I get orders from friends which of course means I need to buy more cucumbers and onions lol good job they are cheap these days :D
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    meg72 wrote: »
    Would love the recipe for your nut loaf f you get the time to post please. I am trying to put together a collection for a veggie DGD off to Uni this year.
    Here you go - I knew I'd posted it before. ;)
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=69111236&highlight=nut+loaf#post69111236
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,880
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I bought the Delia book years ago and was distinctly unimpressed with it. IIRC it had a lot of recipes with lots of ingredients. Half a teaspoon of this or that that I didn't have and may not use again. I think the secret of cooking for one is fairly simple recipes without huge numbers of ingredients, which doesn't mean they have to be tasteless.

The book was despatched last year in my Kon Marie clear out.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    meg, I cant recommend the nut roast highly enough. Im not vegetarian but when I make it for Lunch Club I always filch a slice for myself.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Just a thought, if you have a slow cooker there are a few good books with recipes for one, or two portions with suggestions of how to use the second if you're on your own. My go-to is 'Slow cooking for yourself' by Catherine Atkinson but if you check the usual sites I think you'll find quite a few more.
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Let us just face it.

There is nothing worse than making up a lovely meal and then eating it alone.

Food is for sharing.

That is why I think soup, sandwiches and ready meals should not be denigrated for those alone.

I know people mean well, as I do myself, but we have to be realistic here also.
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,971
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    LameWolf wrote: »

Thank you for the link, I am not vegetarian, but enjoy tasty no meat meals, as I am the only one who eats nut roast here, one that is freezable will be great.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,049
    Forumite
    Just a thought, if you have a slow cooker there are a few good books with recipes for one, or two portions with suggestions of how to use the second if you're on your own. My go-to is 'Slow cooking for yourself' by Catherine Atkinson but if you check the usual sites I think you'll find quite a few more.
    Yep love my slow cookers (have 3 LOL) though do tend to use them for multi portion recipes though have made smaller amounts popped in oven bags and cooked a couple of different things at once. I quite fancy a baby slow cooker 1.5 L but need to work out if the outlay is worth the use I'd give it
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,049
    Forumite
    edited 16 January 2017 at 9:09AM
    melanzana wrote: »
    Let us just face it.

Food is for sharing.

That is why I think soup, sandwiches and ready meals should not be denigrated for those alone.

Certainly not intending to denigrate the soup, sandwich and ready meals for single people. Personally most ready meals aren't suitable for me due to the relatively high salt content. Don't agree that there is nothing worse than cooking a lovely meal then eating alone, yes nothing beats sharing a lovely meal but I also get pleasure from cooking nice food for myself.
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    melanzana wrote: »
    Let us just face it.

Food is for sharing.

Sorry to disagree but I feel this is a mindset to be avoided. Food is not only for sharing it is to keep me healthy, physically and mentally.

Ready meals are out for me due to high salt, sugar and fat. I do have soup for lunch sometimes but its HM.

I feel its often the case when newly alone to fall into the trap of thinking its not worth cooking "just for me" that just makes me feel sad, like I am not worth a nice home cooked meal. Nice food is only for company?

No I am worth the same love and care that I would put into making a family meal and doing so makes me feel good about myself.

Theres nothing better than sharing a meal but theres a lot worse
    things than eating on my own.
    Slimming World at target
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills