Cooking for one

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Ames wrote: »
    .... by the time I got to them one family was just finishing sweeping them all up, all two or three shelves full. I was so tempted to say something!
    I bet they're MSE YS braggers...go hunt them down and have a word online :)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,049
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Evening everyone

Karcher - I use almond milk as a lower calorie sub for coconut milk in curries sometimes it works really well
    Willowx - chinese here to but made from scratch by my friends and it was bleeding gorgeous
    Farway - hope you enjoyed your pie?
    Hi flubberyzing
    PN-
    I think mine are finally beginning to soften as well;)
    Ames - how frustrating:mad:

I had a lovely time at my friends, a wee glass sitting the garden in the sunshine, lots of puppy snuggles with their 11 week old labradoodle:) and absolutely gorgeous HM Chinese food:drool: though certainly too many dishes for CFO households. All in all it was a pretty perfect afternoon:D
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I bet they're MSE YS braggers...go hunt them down and have a word online :)

Apart from the odd loaf of fresh bread, I have never snaffled any good YS deals. I really do think it's location and SM dependant.
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • PasturesNew
    Forumite
    caronc wrote: »
    .... sitting the garden in the sunshine.... a pretty perfect afternoon

There's been a raging wind storm here since at least yesterday - and it's still here. If you'd sat outside today you'd have to have held on tightly to everything to stop it blowing away.... the wind's been howling in that "late night horror movie" style too.

It's been a North-Easterly too .... so nippy!

Even the webcam/page I check for weather/wind speeds to see what it's doing out there's down! The page is there, 0 pictures. It usually posts a new photo and windspeed every 15 minutes, going back 4-6 hours.
  • caronc
    Forumite
    There's been a raging wind storm here since at least yesterday - and it's still here. If you'd sat outside today you'd have to have held on tightly to everything to stop it blowing away.... the wind's been howling in that "late night horror movie" style too.

It's been a North-Easterly too .... so nippy!

Even the webcam/page I check for weather/wind speeds to see what it's doing out there's down! The page is there, 0 pictures. It usually posts a new photo and windspeed every 15 minutes, going back 4-6 hours.

Sounds like what we had earlier in the week before the cold snap hit. This afternoon was one of these rare moments on days that start frosty but if you can get a sheltered spot in the afternoon it can be so lovely. We didn't even need a cardi. That said temperature is dropping fast now so another frost tonight the forecast is for 1C:cool:
  • PasturesNew
    Forumite
    I CBA with food, so looked at the tins and pulled a tin of peaches out of the cupboard. Opened it and tipped the lot into a bowl. Wasn't great, too many peaches ... but I ate it anyway. :)
  • karcher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Great you've had a good day caron...nothing better than being cooked for, especially when it's really good HM food :)
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    I had the tear and share, which was disappointingly greasy, and some fried halloumi and flat mushrooms. My 'food has to be in even numbers' rule was tested with the mushrooms, since there weren't two in the box that were equal sizes. So I had to have three, with two equalling the big one.

When Casualty's finished I'm going to curl up with a good book and a punnet of raspberries.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • caronc
    Forumite
    Thanks Karcher - after what was a pretty rubbish week it was just what I needed:D

I was impressed my friend made Chinese Pancakes from scratch as she couldn't find any to buy. They are just plain flour mixed with enough water to make a stiff dough. Knead well and roll out around 1cm thick. Cut into rounds using 2 inch cutters. Brush tops with sesame oil making sure it goes to the edge. Sandwich two rounds together with the oil in the middle and roll out to the size of a arge saucer. Cook each side in a hot, lightly oiled pan until each side is brown speckled then separate, the oil the middle allows this. They were delicious and one I might try as they are so hard to get around here and when you do they are always in huge packs:)
  • karcher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Morning oneskis :D

Last nights dhal and flatbreads were good. I hadn't really 'fancied' it but got the dhal out of the freezer during the day and made the flatbread dough so I had to eat it!

I've got one more portion of Dhal in the freezer which will have to be eaten sooner or later as I need to free up some space...I also need to defrost it so am going to use up everything I can. It's quite old so it ices up really quickly, it is only a couple of months since I last defrosted it :(

Once that is done and I've been paid at the end of the month a medium sized shop will be done to replenish my dwindling supplies.

All fun here :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills