Advice Request - 2 Court Claim foms

Hi Everyone,

I hope i have posted this in the correct section. My partnet has today recieve 2 Claim forms from the county court. The larger of the 2 debts is for just over 2.5k. I was hoping someone could adivse on the best way to deal with these forms.

The dates on the form state: "The claimant claims payment of the overdue balance due from the defendant under a contract between the defendants and Shop Direct dated on or about April 04 2009 and assigned to the claimant on Aug 12 2013"

Now I know my partner has not made any payments on this debt since aquiring it. So as i understand I this debt is statue barred? The thing that is throwing me here is that if it is statut barred why have the courts even allowed it to be filed as a claim?

As for the second claim form there is not date on it, but my partner is confident this debt is older than the one mentioned above.

So does anyone have any advice on how best to respond too the court papers. Do we complete the defense for that the debts are too old to be enfororceable? Or is the fact we have recieved these mean the debt is indeed enforceable?

I know there are template letter out there for sending Statue Barred debt to creditors, but i cannot seem to find any templates for a defence.

Finally, it says we can complete these online? Is this advised or is it best to respond recorded delivery?

I really appriciate any assistance with this.

MRJ

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi,

The limitations act will come into effect as your full defence here.

Your creditor is trying it on.

Statute barred debts are not automatically written off, they still exist, it's just that any court claim must be defended, otherwise the debt remains valid.

Your defence would go something like, the Defendant seeks the Claimants claim to be dismissed by the court as the debt is statute-barred under the Limitations Act 1980, Section 5.

You should seek advice on legal beagles how to respond properly to this :

http://legalbeagles.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?105-Received-a-Court-Claim
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • MrMRJ
    MrMRJ Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 20 April 2017 at 8:10PM
    Thanks for your reply. I have asked for advise on legal beagales as you suggested.

So once the defence is completed what would happen next? Say for example the court agrees with us, would we still need to attend court? My concern is we go abroad in the middle of may for 2 weeks, so I dont want to miss any deadlines.

Thanks
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,486 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    edited 20 April 2017 at 9:21PM
    Your defence would be presented to the claimant. You may have to get this in before you go away, though it can all be done online.

They could hold their hands up at that point and discontinue the claim.

They could continue to a hearing and argue that your defence does not apply for some reason.

It's not as scary as it sounds. Companies like Arrow, Lowell and Cabot pick these accounts up for very small sums and rely on people not challenging them in order to make a huge profit on their investment.

We'll do all we can across the 2 sites to help you not to add to their profits.

Edit: I can't see you on Legalbeagles. Did you post there this evening? OK, spotted you. You're in the welcome forum, not the court claims section.
  • MrMRJ
    MrMRJ Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the reply. I have just asked my partner to check her experian credit file to double check the dates. There is no mention of the original creditor (Shop Direct) but there is now the debt collection company who placed the default on 24/07/2013

Will they use this date as the start of the 6 years? as i am unable to see when exactly the last payment was made on the account? Although we are certain the last payment was over 6 years ago.

Many Thanks
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    MrMRJ wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I have just asked my partner to check her experian credit file to double check the dates. There is no mention of the original creditor (Shop Direct) but there is now the debt collection company who placed the default on 24/07/2013

Will they use this date as the start of the 6 years? as i am unable to see when exactly the last payment was made on the account? Although we are certain the last payment was over 6 years ago.

Many Thanks

You don't need to prove anything.

It's up to the opposition to dis-prove your defence.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure