PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does anyone want to join me waiting to find a house to buy?

Options

Comments

• katebl
    katebl Posts: 637 Forumite
    Options
    Getting rightmove updates and still hearing from the odd estate agent but not bothered booking any viewings for the last couple months now. Will keep adding to our deposit and hoping for a bit of downward movement - the lack of 2 bed houses in our area makes it hard to find anything and we need about a 10-15% drop to afford a 3 bed.
  • pollyannaL
    pollyannaL Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    Oh, it seems everyone is waiting 'til 2018!

I am in a position where i HAVE to move, literally cannot stay where I am any longer.
    After the lack of properties on Rightmove over the past week, today was fairly busy. 2 properties have come on in the area I want - they are just WELL below my budget. Although 3 beds they are complete renovation projects, as in knocking walls through, possible wiring (I have not got a clue and would need to pay professionals for everything...) I feel I am desperate though to move and cannot think straight anymore! I am revisiting all the properties I disregarded and am now viewing those...

2 viewings tomorrow. 1 house is semi detached, in area i want and south facing garden. It's just a weird layout, with what looks like a w.c under the stairs (!?) and a long narrow kitchen...just looks very squished.
  • kilby_007
    kilby_007 Posts: 738 Forumite
    Options
    pollyannaL wrote: »
    I feel I am desperate though to move and cannot think straight anymore! I am revisiting all the properties I disregarded and am now viewing those...

Been there a year ago, still looking!! We viewed a place 10% over our budget just out of desperation and came away very critical about the terrible layout and design of the place. It's still on the market now and has been reduced by quite a bit. If you don't think it's worth buying, and it's still on the market, then clearly other people think the same.

Please don't settle for something rubbish just because there's nothing suitable at the moment! Stick it out and something will come along. Looks like most buyers know something is afoot so holding off buying which will give you the advantage if you do find something you want. That said, I would still wait it out to be honest.
  • Chrisuk78
    Chrisuk78 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    hi guys. I have been looking for a property for a property for 2 years now and getting desperate.

The area I live in seems to one of thee few (according to some other boards) were house prices seem to be going up all the time. more than I can save it seems sometimes.

Getting to the stage that either I just buy something(anything) now before everything is out of my reach or admit defeat and look further afield.

There is a severe lack of property in my area so anything half decent is snapped up in a matter of days. I have been out bid quite a few times by cash investors and everywhere seems to be doing open days and having guide prices. :(

Not sure I have the strength to keep searching much longer. I hate that I'm almost tied to rightmove. and if one more person asks me how the house hunting is going I think i'm going to have breakdown.

What are others doing? waiting?
  • pollyannaL
    Options
    kilby_007 wrote: »
    Been there a year ago, still looking!! We viewed a place 10% over our budget just out of desperation and came away very critical about the terrible layout and design of the place. It's still on the market now and has been reduced by quite a bit. If you don't think it's worth buying, and it's still on the market, then clearly other people think the same.

Please don't settle for something rubbish just because there's nothing suitable at the moment! Stick it out and something will come along. Looks like most buyers know something is afoot so holding off buying which will give you the advantage if you do find something you want. That said, I would still wait it out to be honest.

Thanks Kilby - will see how the viewings go tomorrow. My heart isn't really in it, but got people telling me to view the properties. Half the pics on rightmove do not show the whole house , literally has 3 pics and 2 of them are of the garden - so bizarre. I then have to go through previous sales / history to get pictures of the whole house. Such effort!
  • kilby_007
    kilby_007 Posts: 738 Forumite
    edited 18 April 2017 at 11:54PM
    Options
    pollyannaL wrote: »
    Thanks Kilby - will see how the viewings go tomorrow. My heart isn't really in it, but got people telling me to view the properties. Half the pics on rightmove do not show the whole house , literally has 3 pics and 2 of them are of the garden - so bizarre. I then have to go through previous sales / history to get pictures of the whole house. Such effort!

Some of my family members are less than supportive. My mum and dad buy a house every few months to do up and sell and think we're messing about. My dad doesn't understand my reluctance to settle in what will be an average 3 bed semi (top of our budget) when we're earning 3.5 times the average local wage. If we'd bought in the areas we're looking at 5 years ago, we could have bought a 5 bed detached with land for the same price, and wages haven't really increased since then. My brother-in-law leapt into a purcahse with both feet (bought the first flat available on the market) and I get the feeling he thinks we're messing about too. Same from work colleagues, etc etc, but I'm sticking to my guns - nobody is telling me what to do with my hard earned cash or what houses to view (much to my mum's frustration, constantly ringing me with "amazing houses" just near her house)...

It's frustrating when you have to trawl through previous listings isn't it! Sometimes you find out some interesting information though, such as the same decor/rugs in the last listing 5 years ago when it hadn't sold previously! I found a youtube video of a house we were looking at showing it in the middle of a very big, very deep puddle in 2007. Gave that one a wide berth!
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Chrisuk78 wrote: »
    hi guys. I have been looking for a property for a property for 2 years now and getting desperate.

The area I live in seems to one of thee few (according to some other boards) were house prices seem to be going up all the time. more than I can save it seems sometimes.

Getting to the stage that either I just buy something(anything) now before everything is out of my reach or admit defeat and look further afield.

There is a severe lack of property in my area so anything half decent is snapped up in a matter of days. I have been out bid quite a few times by cash investors and everywhere seems to be doing open days and having guide prices. :(

Not sure I have the strength to keep searching much longer. I hate that I'm almost tied to rightmove. and if one more person asks me how the house hunting is going I think i'm going to have breakdown.

What are others doing? waiting?

Sounds like it's more like your budget won't get you what you want. So you need to decide on what you compromise on. A bedroom? Parking? Garden? Location?

The market does generally seem like it's been dropping for the last month or two. Barely any interest in my house, and I'm seeing loads of price reductions. (Not saying a recession is coming, just that it's a down time - who knows how long for.) The upcoming election won't help matters. People hate a deadline and, even if it won't make any difference, they always say they'll wait until after whatever event before buying/selling.

If it is purely lack of stock, you could always leaflet some roads you're particularly interested in.

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • 9ja4life
    9ja4life Posts: 226 Forumite
    Options
    We haven't quite managed to find anything we want as we pulled out of the last one due to needing to extend massively to get what we want spacewise. Plus OH has been offered a secondment to Oceania for 2 years and we are very very tempted to take it.
    So we've decided to buy something that is practical and will either sell or rent quickly. It also means we don't come off the market completely if we do leave the UK which is looking highly likely. We've opted for a 4 bed in a commuter town. Offer accepted today!
  • Chrisuk78
    Chrisuk78 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    hazyjo wrote: »
    Sounds like it's more like your budget won't get you what you want. So you need to decide on what you compromise on. A bedroom? Parking? Garden? Location?

The market does generally seem like it's been dropping for the last month or two. Barely any interest in my house, and I'm seeing loads of price reductions. (Not saying a recession is coming, just that it's a down time - who knows how long for.) The upcoming election won't help matters. People hate a deadline and, even if it won't make any difference, they always say they'll wait until after whatever event before buying/selling.

If it is purely lack of stock, you could always leaflet some roads you're particularly interested in.

Jx

Thank you for the response. Much appreciated.

I'm starting to think I need to expand my search. Regarding compromise so far I've compromised on everything apart from location(I'm not even looking in the nicer parts of my city) and garden. I just want the convenience of living close to work and friends. I previously had an apartment in the city centre which has spoilt me I think

Ive started to look at new build developments recently and saw some lovely persimmon houses, but it was 30 minutes drive away from where I want to be, but you do get a lot more for you money.

Has anyone done the leaflet thing? Did you have much success?
  • pollyannaL
    Options
    ok, so i viewed 2 houses today. Pleasantly surprised by the one and have a second viewing tomorrow. Great location, huge south facing garden. Is really peaceful. However, the catch is that it needs work - cosmetic rather than structurally (i hope). It's top of budget and been on since beginning of year. eeeeeekkk....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure