New Laptop - Fairly basic needs - any deals on?

Options
Hi, I am not looking for a new laptop for surfing, excel and word for under £200 ideally....just something that will hopefully last many years and not start to slow down after a year or so. Any advice?

Also, what is the best, free anti virus software out there these days?

Thanks in advance:)

Comments

• toshi
    toshi Posts: 308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 March 2017 at 1:51AM
    Options
    I am not sure if this proposal is suitable for you,

Frankly all brand new computer less than 200 is a disposable grade, (No manufacturers won't give you more than 1 year warranty)

If you don't mind using a decent second hand, you may find second hand top-end business notebooks are sold ridiculously cheap at eBay.

I mean top end business models, HP Elitebook, Lenovo Thinkpad, Dell Latitude, original price is 600- 1500 pound, manufacturers intend to offer up to 5 years warranty. They are far far better quality and reliability than consumer models.

This is a purely suggestion, I have no intention to recommand any specific model yet. Some reseller offers even 1 year warranty,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Dell+Latitude+E6220+CHEAP+LAPTOP+Core+i5+2520M+2+50GHz+WINDOWS+10+HDMI+Warranty&_trksid=p2047675.m4100

Get A SSD MODEL, (Later you can upgrade a bigger SSD)

If you are familiar with computer setup, you can find no hard disk model at silly price. I myself bought HP Elitebook without hard disk at 50 pound, and install a brand new 256GB SSD 70 pound, Setup Windows and LinuxMint. This secondhand with a SSD solution is far more reliable than a brand new hard disk computers (400 pound)

Please do research by yourself and feel free to ask any questions.

Happy computing :)
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    For that money I would definitely go eBay a used Thinkpad T400 series. I have one, my GF has one, I use one at work, they're solid machines and very fast.

But do NOT buy from sellers that show generic images, there used to be reputable laptop re-conditioners out there, but now there are 100's of them selling broken laptops. Make sure the images shown are of the actual laptop and show all angles, make sure it has a genuine charger and battery, make sure it's listed as being in good working order and that the OS is genuine with all the correct drivers installed.

Obviously there is a risk, but play it right and that risk is very very small.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi, I am not looking for a new laptop for surfing, excel and word for under £200 ideally....just something that will hopefully last many years and not start to slow down after a year or so. Any advice?

So what are you looking for? :p (I guess that was a typo?)
    Also, what is the best, free anti virus software out there these days?

I find that Avast has been most effective in cleaning up infections, but you need to choose a "custom" installation to make sure it doesn't install components you don't want or need.

The Rescue Disc has worked really well at cleaning up really stubborn infections. And the Software Updater tool is quite handy too.
  • BadBehaviour
    Options
    I suggest that you have a look at http://mcscom.co.uk/.

They seem to have very good prices for refurnished stuff and I've seen them recommended on here a few times by long-standing members.
  • united4ever
    Options
    esuhl wrote: »
    So what are you looking for? :p (I guess that was a typo?)

I find that Avast has been most effective in cleaning up infections, but you need to choose a "custom" installation to make sure it doesn't install components you don't want or need.

The Rescue Disc has worked really well at cleaning up really stubborn infections. And the Software Updater tool is quite handy too.

Ha ha, yes that was a typo! sorry...I went very budget/high risk in the end: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262755519372

Plugging it in during use is no problem - Anything over 2 years is a bonus! I have a work laptop which we can mostly use for personal use too but when i am working away my wife needs a machine. Was hoping not to have to buy one but hopefully this machine will suffice.
  • BadBehaviour
    Options
    Ha ha, yes that was a typo! sorry...I went very budget/high risk in the end: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262755519372

Plugging it in during use is no problem - Anything over 2 years is a bonus! I have a work laptop which we can mostly use for personal use too but when i am working away my wife needs a machine. Was hoping not to have to buy one but hopefully this machine will suffice.

I would have spent that money on a proper business laptop even if refurbished. You could have easily found one under £200 and they have usually a much longer lifespan than cheap consumer laptops. This has practically no warranty anyway and it's not built to last, plus it has no storage space basically and updates will be a problem.

It's cheap yes but I don't think it is money well-spent honestly. I hope you don't get offended because I am just expressing my honest opinion.

Also the CPU is very weak in this one and if you had gone for a refurbished business laptop you would have got an older i3 or something which anyway wipes the floor with any Celeron for around the same price.

Wish you well anyway with your new purchase :)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    For that money I would definitely go eBay a used Thinkpad T400 series. I have one, my GF has one, I use one at work, they're solid machines and very fast..

A million times this. Thinkpad T430.

This company has been selling them on Ebay for years and is recommended. They give a 12 month warranty though if you check the serial number on Lenovo's website you may find there's some extended warranty still available as it follows the machine, not the purchaser.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/newandusedlaptops4u?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
  • were
    were Posts: 632 Forumite
    edited 17 March 2017 at 2:03AM
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    A million times this. Thinkpad T430.
    Is it fast enough to support Kodi and Sky in HD? :D:D:D
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    were wrote: »
    Is it fast enough to support Kodi and Sky in HD? :D:D:D

What?! Are you on the right thread? :p
  • henm2
    henm2 Posts: 721 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 March 2017 at 7:46AM
    Options
    "What?! Are you on the right thread?"

Sounded good to me. Anyhow back to the OP question. I also would recommend the machine linked below. I bought an X200 Thinkpad from the same seller a couple of years ago and it has proved to be a bargain. The one below is £135.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T420-Windows-10-Laptop-i5-2520M-2-50GHz-4GB-Ram-250GB-Warranty-/232194704148?var=&hash=item360fe20314:m:mTT8eNIsoI74xRLpJM_Vyaw
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure