Renovations and Repayments.

Comments

• hiddenshadow
    hiddenshadow Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    AlexLK wrote: »
    However, surely until trying (as I've already been told on here none of the things I've done so far can really compare) no one really knows if it is for them? My wife thinks I often appear to others in a manner that makes them think I'm trying things to amuse myself and not because I'm serious. I will be somewhat disappointed if I spend the £9,250 on fees and do not wish to enter the profession. Though I'm sure I will have learnt lots and also be in a more informed position regarding my son's education.

I think the point people were trying to make above is that while your logic makes sense and is completely appropriate for your own life, the "usual" PCGE student is more along the lines of: (massively generalising here)
    ...graduated uni, can't get a job, try teaching... (or)
    ...graduated uni, love teaching, jump straight into it...
    either way, post-course is
    ...need to make this teaching thing work because what do I do with my life post-teaching if it doesn't?...(and/or)
    ...oh man I now owe ££,£££+ in debt from taking that year to do this course, must get a teaching job ASAP to pay the bills and get rid of that debt...(and/or)
    ...love teaching, lifetime career, yay!...

So yes, no one really knows if something is suitable for them until they try it, but most people don't have any other choice but to follow through with the direction they've chosen (at least for a few years to build up their CV and move out of teaching). You have the flexibility (and luxury) to know that you will only work part-time, you could spend £9,250 and a year of your life and chalk it up to an interesting experience/learning opportunity.

No one's saying you're not approaching it seriously, or seriously intending to teach afterwards, but you are in a rather unique position compared to the average teaching student, your opportunity cost for doing the course is much lower and you have a lot more options available to you at the end of it.
  • Dansmam
    Dansmam Posts: 677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 14 March 2017 at 12:45AM
    I think the point people were trying to make above is that while your logic makes sense and is completely appropriate for your own life, the "usual" PCGE student is more along the lines of: (massively generalising here)
    ...need to make this teaching thing work because what do I do with my life post-teaching if it doesn't?...(and/or)
    ...oh man I now owe ££,£££+ in debt from taking that year to do this course, must get a teaching job ASAP to pay the bills and get rid of that debt...(and/or)

So yes, no one really knows if something is suitable for them until they try it, but most people don't have any other choice but to follow through with the direction they've chosen (at least for a few years to build up their CV and move out of teaching). You have the flexibility (and luxury) to know that you will only work part-time, you could spend £9,250 and a year of your life and chalk it up to an interesting experience/learning opportunity.

No one's saying you're not approaching it seriously, or seriously intending to teach afterwards, but you are in a rather unique position compared to the average teaching student, your opportunity cost for doing the course is much lower and you have a lot more options available to you at the end of it.

Alex hope you don't mind me commenting but I'm finding this really interesting because your attitude to trying out teaching and the explanations on here about how other trainee teachers are likely to be thinking point to a phenomenon I've worried about for a while. It's all about feeling secure enough to fail and I think you may be surprised to find that's how you are approaching this. Logically you are (cough) a bit older than your average graduate looking for a way in life. So logically they have more time to try it for size, decide not for them and move on to find another way to pay off the fees. But there aren't many people who know they can clear debt the way you did through your business and then move on to other interests and passions- thinking music, teaching, managing your folks business, plus of course mrs k and little k here. You have talent and ability and what flummoxes me is why other talented able people wouldn't happily take the risk of trying out a year's pgce on the basis they'll just walk on if they find it's not for them.
    There's a thing called a poverty mentality that stops people taking chances. I've followed your story and your parents have pulled you down in many ways (due to their own struggles and regrets it seems to me) but they've not stopped you believing you can try out new things and survive whether or not they work out for you. That says a lot about you, and a bit about how you've learned resilience which is a lot of you and also partly from them I guess. The rest I think probably comes from you and mrs K learning people can think differently while being great people who can get along fine. So it's complicated. Sorry, that went on a bit. Wishing you joy and fun times even if you decide you're not a teacher at heart (though suspect you may be)
    I have borrowed from my future self
    The banks are not our friends
  • misscousinitt
    misscousinitt Posts: 3,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Thank you Dansman for mentioning the Poverty Mentality thing - it's very interesting...

MCI
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £82, 595.61 (31.08.2019)
    OP's to Date £8500

Renovation Fund:£511.39;
    Nectar Points Balance: approx £30 (31.08.2019)
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    March Targets:

Total Grocery Spend: £155/>£450.
    Surplus Money: £0/£750. Mrs K and I need to discuss.
    Going to bed at a reasonable time: 12/31. Last night was a disaster. :o
    Meditation: 12/31. Only doing the one minute meditation as and when at the moment.
    One new recipe per week: 2/4.
    Read three books: 0/3. Not doing well with this.
    3 Things for Wednesday: 1. Get up and ready for school / work without rushing around, 2. Find three things to smile about, 3. Try another youtube meditation (determined to do this at some point). Same as Monday as I've not really got anywhere with any of the targets as I've been really busy. Plus, I need to send some documents.

Thanks, HS. I hadn't really considered others viewing in that way. Don't think it's really very good for someone's own mental health to NEED to teach even if they don't want to. I also think it wouldn't be good for the class and school either. :(
    Dansmam wrote: »
    Alex hope you don't mind me commenting but I'm finding this really interesting because your attitude to trying out teaching and the explanations on here about how other trainee teachers are likely to be thinking point to a phenomenon I've worried about for a while. It's all about feeling secure enough to fail and I think you may be surprised to find that's how you are approaching this. Logically you are (cough) a bit older than your average graduate looking for a way in life. So logically they have more time to try it for size, decide not for them and move on to find another way to pay off the fees. But there aren't many people who know they can clear debt the way you did through your business and then move on to other interests and passions- thinking music, teaching, managing your folks business, plus of course mrs k and little k here. You have talent and ability and what flummoxes me is why other talented able people wouldn't happily take the risk of trying out a year's pgce on the basis they'll just walk on if they find it's not for them.
    There's a thing called a poverty mentality that stops people taking chances. I've followed your story and your parents have pulled you down in many ways (due to their own struggles and regrets it seems to me) but they've not stopped you believing you can try out new things and survive whether or not they work out for you. That says a lot about you, and a bit about how you've learned resilience which is a lot of you and also partly from them I guess. The rest I think probably comes from you and mrs K learning people can think differently while being great people who can get along fine. So it's complicated. Sorry, that went on a bit. Wishing you joy and fun times even if you decide you're not a teacher at heart (though suspect you may be)

I don't really see not gaining a new career from the PGCE a failure, to be honest. If I do, it will be because I particularly want a career in teaching. At the moment, I think I do to some extent but cannot be sure until I've tried as I understand I can only gain so much of an idea from volunteering etc.

:rotfl: I did think I'd be the oldest one applying but that wasn't the case. As for the fees, I won't be getting into any sort of debt to pay them, though I think the savings / overpayments are going to be very low that year.

Trying things is not an issue for me, I'll try most things if I have an interest / curiosity.

My parents are pleased about the coming year ahead for me. I think they see it as a sign that my mental health is getting better. However, they are somewhat annoyed I won't be able to cook lunch and dinner for them in term time. :rotfl: Funny you should mention my parents; father is coming into sports car boy's school tomorrow to talk about the old days. The current topic is related and I happened to say that I know just the person who'd be delighted to come in to talk about life in the old days, so my father and I have been working on this. We're going to take in quite a few items from the 30's-70's that some of the children may not have seen (I get the collecting from my parents :o) and have put together a book of photos / newsclippings to pass around and a set of music that would have been popular. Father is really looking forward to speaking to someone other than I about the old days tomorrow.
    Thank you Dansman for mentioning the Poverty Mentality thing - it's very interesting...

MCI

Not heard of poverty mentality before, I will have a look into what it is.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    My stepfather (aka Dad) retrained as a teacher just a few years before our current ages Alex. Not only was he the oldest student, but he was the only man. 25 years later and he's a highly regarded headmaster. I'm sure he had his doubts, his first job was in a legal firm!
  • hiddenshadow
    hiddenshadow Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    Don't think it's really very good for someone's own mental health to NEED to teach even if they don't want to. I also think it wouldn't be good for the class and school either. :(

Hopefully (usually?) it's more "better make the best of this, because this is the way it is for now". Though there are a lot of people who just view work as something to be endured, not something to enjoy necessarily. Certainly I think it's a development of the last century or so to be able to seek out something you enjoy doing, rather than having to work the factory/mine/wherever just to put food on the table.

Hope the day at school with your dad goes well, sounds like it's right up his alley. :)
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    My stepfather (aka Dad) retrained as a teacher just a few years before our current ages Alex. Not only was he the oldest student, but he was the only man. 25 years later and he's a highly regarded headmaster. I'm sure he had his doubts, his first job was in a legal firm!

Snap! I trained as a solicitor after completing my MA in Music. Kind of fell into that as a now ex-schoolfriend's father was a partner and my parents refused to fund a PhD after I wasted a large amount of money that should have more than funded it.

I suppose I already know the course is going to be dominated by 21 year old girls (I'm training in primary).

I greatly enjoy the work I do in schools as well as teaching music pupils and my own son. Therefore, I am hoping this will become a fulfilling career for the long term.
    Hopefully (usually?) it's more "better make the best of this, because this is the way it is for now". Though there are a lot of people who just view work as something to be endured, not something to enjoy necessarily. Certainly I think it's a development of the last century or so to be able to seek out something you enjoy doing, rather than having to work the factory/mine/wherever just to put food on the table.

Hope the day at school with your dad goes well, sounds like it's right up his alley. :)

I think you're likely right re. work. I see it as something to occupy myself as my son is now at school himself and will start to want an independent life of his own as he grows. My wife is out for c.12 hours everyday and my directorship is not particularly consuming or fulfilling. I want to have a purpose to get up in the morning.

Father will be on his best behaviour, I'm sure! Already he's thanked me for the opportunity to talk to others about the old days and has made me promise to invite him to speak about the old days to a class of my own one day if his health doesn't deteriorate. He has a lot of respect for teachers. :)
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • Dansmam
    Dansmam Posts: 677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Father will be on his best behaviour, I'm sure! Already he's thanked me for the opportunity to talk to others about the old days and has made me promise to invite him to speak about the old days to a class of my own one day if his health doesn't deteriorate. He has a lot of respect for teachers. :)[/QUOTE]

😉 Way to go Alex. It's all working out for you and yours and you're sounding so happy I have a slight dampness about the lower eyelid. It may of course be a seasonal cold or such 😆
    I have borrowed from my future self
    The banks are not our friends
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    I suppose I already know the course is going to be dominated by 21 year old girls (I'm training in primary)

I think you might be surprised! A good friend of mine has just retrained in primary at 35, and my uncle did his PGCE at 50 and is now teaching maths after decades in business.

A lot of the younger ones who want to go into primary will do the 4 year BEd I expect.

I could never have contemplated teaching kids, I've just not got the temperament for it! I do absolutely love teaching student nurses though, its a fantastic feeling to see them do well and use the knowledge and skills they've got from you. I really do hope you enjoy the course, wherever it leads!
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    March Targets:

Total Grocery Spend: £155/>£450.
    Surplus Money: £0/£750. Mrs K and I need to discuss.
    Going to bed at a reasonable time: 13/31.
    Meditation: 13/31. Only doing the one minute meditation as and when at the moment.
    One new recipe per week: 2/4.
    Read three books: 0/3. Not doing well with this.
    3 Things for Thursday: 1. Get up and ready for school / work without rushing around, 2. Find three things to smile about, 3. Try another youtube meditation (determined to do this at some point). Same as Monday as I've not really got anywhere with any of the targets as I've been really busy. Plus, I need to send some documents.

We had a meal out tonight. :o Had a good time apart from I've had a headache so bad this evening that I feel quite sick. Really hope I don't have this tomorrow as I have to go to volunteer school to listen to not only the good violinists but the beginner ones.

My parents apologised for their selfishness this evening. Father did really well and provided an engaging, informative and entertaining talk. The children seemed to love the clockwork locomotives most of all. :) When father went, the class teacher asked me if he spoke to me about the old days much. :rotfl: :rotfl: At the point of saying "yes", she said I was lucky and she bet I really enjoyed hearing about it. I said something along the lines of well, not when he's calling saying there's an emergency, only to be told when I'm there that he remembers the registration plate of a car he had 50 years ago.

Mrs K and I really need to discuss our finances for the month to see how much we can put to one side for the bathroom. It's looking good so far but we've yet to discuss the actual amount. :) Don't seem to have much time at the moment. Not sure if it's a time management issue or just that we're trying to fit too much into each day. Tomorrow is my son's parents evening and my wife is coming too; she decided she wanted to.
    Dansmam wrote: »
    Father will be on his best behaviour, I'm sure! Already he's thanked me for the opportunity to talk to others about the old days and has made me promise to invite him to speak about the old days to a class of my own one day if his health doesn't deteriorate. He has a lot of respect for teachers. :)

😉 Way to go Alex. It's all working out for you and yours and you're sounding so happy I have a slight dampness about the lower eyelid. It may of course be a seasonal cold or such 😆[/QUOTE]

:rotfl:

Things do seem to be going well at the moment.
    I think you might be surprised! A good friend of mine has just retrained in primary at 35, and my uncle did his PGCE at 50 and is now teaching maths after decades in business.

A lot of the younger ones who want to go into primary will do the 4 year BEd I expect.

I could never have contemplated teaching kids, I've just not got the temperament for it! I do absolutely love teaching student nurses though, its a fantastic feeling to see them do well and use the knowledge and skills they've got from you. I really do hope you enjoy the course, wherever it leads!

Thank you, Red Squirrel. :)

You may be right re. the BEd. To be honest, it doesn't really matter to me who happens to be on my course. I can't say I care if I'm the only one over 30 or if everyone else is female.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills