How much does a new kitchen really cost?

In the Wickes booklet that came through my front door this evening, there are 'Takeaway Kitchens'. Prices start at £242 for the basic one; package includes 3 x 1000mm base units, 2 x 1000mm wall units, 1 x 500mm wall unit, 1 x 500mm three drawer unit and 1 x 600mm built under oven housing unit.

What i would really like to know, is how much to all the extras add up to on top? Obviously I can see that sinks, taps, worktops and appliances aren't included in the price, plus whatever else I've not thought of!

I think the units are a good number for our small kitchen - it would leave some gaps but they will be filled with appliances (washing machine and tumble drier) and I'd quite like to put shelves up instead of all wall units.

Has anyone gutted their kitchen and refitted with one of these Takeaway Kitchens from Wickes, B&Q etc? Good or bad idea? The overall idea is to do this house up to sell it - its a bungalow, more suited to a retiree.

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Your looking at thousands
    No Unapproved or Personal links in signatures please - FT3
  • emg
    emg Posts: 1,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I did my b&q kitchen for around £1200 including 5 base units 6 wall units, larder cupboard, worktop and sink (not from B&Q - off ebay) and tiles. I had a relative help me fit it and didnt buy new appliances - thats what kept the costs down. I could have done it cheaper as the doors I chose were around £25 each and they had plain maple doors at around £6 each.
  • Greenr
    Greenr Posts: 286 Forumite
    elle_gee wrote: »
    In the Wickes booklet that came through my front door this evening, there are 'Takeaway Kitchens'. Prices start at £242 for the basic one; package includes 3 x 1000mm base units, 2 x 1000mm wall units, 1 x 500mm wall unit, 1 x 500mm three drawer unit and 1 x 600mm built under oven housing unit.

What i would really like to know, is how much to all the extras add up to on top? Obviously I can see that sinks, taps, worktops and appliances aren't included in the price, plus whatever else I've not thought of!

I think the units are a good number for our small kitchen - it would leave some gaps but they will be filled with appliances (washing machine and tumble drier) and I'd quite like to put shelves up instead of all wall units.

Has anyone gutted their kitchen and refitted with one of these Takeaway Kitchens from Wickes, B&Q etc? Good or bad idea? The overall idea is to do this house up to sell it - its a bungalow, more suited to a retiree.

Thanks! :)

I bought a wickes takeaway kitchen in their 50% sale last april. I measured and designed the kitchen myself and it was a real bargain! (plus a friend fitted it so a huge saving there) we have an oak shaker style with approx 8 cupboards and a set of drawers. including the work surface (we bought two of the standard lengths), it came to £600 - bargain!!

These are the things I learnt:

1) remeber to buy plinth - the wood that goes along the bottom to hide the legs
    2) if any of the cupboard sides are on view - unless you're happy with them white, you have to buy extra side bits to match the cupboard doors
    3)make sure you get your measurements very accurate...
    4) the wine racks are very good at filling small places
    5) the type of sink you have will depend on what cupboards you have underneath it.

Everything i have brought from wickes has been good quality and great value for money!!
  • tododo
    tododo Posts: 131 Forumite
    Just paid aboout a grand myself including 3 3m lenth worktops
    Astracast Sink and tap (ebay)
    Plenty of units now... including wineracks to fill up odd gaps
    Fitted myself, only thing left to do is bolt the mitred worktops together
    There is a 70% sale in focus....ok the quality isnt the greatest but compared to the very very dated units we had before Im happy
    As were are planning for a new extension in the future these will do very nicely until we have enough cash
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure