Single mother, 2 children, what can they get?

Comments

• Vicky123
    Vicky123 Posts: 3,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Your comment is totally irrelevant to the discussion!:mad:
    In which case fbaby mentioning the child getting DLA and therefore more money is also irrelevant to the discussion, or is it only if someone agrees that a child should have the extra money that bothers you?
    Does it really make you that angry?
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Vicky123 wrote: »
    be thankful your children do not require DLA.

This is the point, her child does NOT require additional funding. He goes to mainstream school full-time and yes, maybe needs a bit more attention, but nothing more than a child who is full of beans and attracted to danger. She has not bought anything for her son that is directly associated to his mild disability.
  • Vicky123
    FBaby wrote: »
    This is the point, her child does NOT require additional funding. He goes to mainstream school full-time and yes, maybe needs a bit more attention, but nothing more than a child who is full of beans and attracted to danger. She has not bought anything for her son that is directly associated to his mild disability.
    The fact that he goes to mainstream school is neither here nor there, lots of children with significant disabilities attend mainstream school.
    Who are you to decide this child does not need additional funding, don't think this idea of best friends tell each other everything means tiddly squat, she may not wish to divulge every detail of her childs personal situation to anyone but feels she should appear to, seeing as you are telling all to her.
    Anyway we best not discuss further as shop to drop doesn't like it but it does go to show that the OP can't know exactly how much anyone is getting or why? I suppose that's relevant enough.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    Why are you so keen to justify that someone you don't know definitely needs extra funding? I know my friend very well and she has no reasons to hide anything. I don't judge her, she is doing nothing wrong, it's the benefit that has it wrong, and that is a fact she acknowledges herself.

But you are right, that's not relevant here but to show that indeed, it can be very frustrating for hard working people to realise that others who do not work manage as well if not better than they do themselves.
  • Vicky123
    FBaby wrote: »
    Why are you so keen to justify that someone you don't know definitely needs extra funding? I know my friend very well and she has no reasons to hide anything. I don't judge her, she is doing nothing wrong, it's the benefit that has it wrong, and that is a fact she acknowledges herself.

But you are right, that's not relevant here but to show that indeed, it can be very frustrating for hard working people to realise that others who do not work manage as well if not better than they do themselves.
    The benefit did not present itself, your friend, that you know very well had to apply for DLA and going on the information that she supplied a decision was made that this child needs extra care. She doesn't have to claim DLA so she is not acknowledging anything, at least not to the DWP. Now if your friend is telling you that her child has no extra needs then why is she claiming DLA?
  • tooldle
    tooldle Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I cannot see anything wrong with this question, I have often wondered the same myself.
    I don't begrudge anyone their benefit, happy to pay my taxes and have always supported myself.
  • kelloggs36
    kelloggs36 Posts: 7,703 Forumite
    I agree with FBaby - my nephew has ADHD and needs NO additional funding for his upbringing - yet my sister is able to claim DLA for him. She does NOT spend any extra money on him at all - she uses the money for day to day spending.
  • xxtokerxx
    xxtokerxx Posts: 66 Forumite
    Have to say this discussion has gone completely off context, I pay my taxes and I pay the CSA, I was curious how much a single mother could be entitled to which relates to a specific person I know.

The personal circumstances haven't been revealed so none of you have a right to judge and assume my position and reasons behind it.

Since I have been "reserved" about my views I'll finish with this.

Why does a single mother who sits on her backside all day have the right to more disposable income than some one who works 42.5 hour a week, some one who is trying to better them selves by continuing education which in turn will result in more money to the government through taxes?

Take away the cost of a child and she'd still have more disposable than my self and she won't have the stresses and worries of mortgages and rent.

While I don't have contact with this person directly any more and have no interest in ever speaking to them again I still have the right to have the interest in how much she is entitled to.

What ever my reason for wanting to know, I still have the right.

I do think the UK benefits system is a bit messed up and think the CSA are bullies, that hasn't stopped me paying and hasn't caused me to do anything untoward.

She's maximising the opportunities that present them selves to her, I can't blame her for that and I don't.

Like I said the personal circumstances are just that, personal, if you fully understood my situation then maybe you'd understand why I am interested but I find it quiet interesting how this has lead into a long discussion constantly requiring justification for why I want to know.

Lets be honest, if you want to live on benefits and I emphasise the word want rather than have to, then the amount of money you receive should be public knowledge as without that who is ever going to make a stand about it?

Look at the politicians and there expenses while every one knew they were getting a lot out of it no one really knew exactly what until it was disclosed to the public, then suddenly it all changed didn't it?

If I want to know where my taxes are being spent then I am entitled to that, personally it sickens me that our government pays more in benefits that it receives in taxes - something Jowo pointed out. I personally know of large groups of people that blatantly exploit the system which in turn costs all of us more in tax and puts the country in debt even further.
  • Jowo_2
    Jowo_2 Posts: 8,308 Forumite
    xxtokerxx wrote: »
    Why does a single mother who sits on her backside all day have the right to more disposable income than some one who works 42.5 hour a week, some one who is trying to better them selves by continuing education which in turn will result in more money to the government through taxes?

So if you don't live with the children and bring them up, and she goes out to full time work during their formative years, who looks after them? Are you happy for strangers to bring them up, who do this for money?

Would you prefer that the mother of your children lives in such an impoverished household that your children suffer the well known effects and outcomes that come from poverty?

Why don't you ask for custody of your children if you think that raising them involves a lot of sitting around on the sofa?

Some lone parents achieve this status because their partner has abandoned them or died.

Many people who study do so for the love of the subject or with the aim of achieving a higher income. It may be the case that they end up paying more taxes but no-one I know has enrolled in FE/HE because they want to contribute more to the public purse.
  • xxtokerxx
    xxtokerxx Posts: 66 Forumite
    Jowo wrote: »
    So if you don't live with the children and bring them up, and she goes out to full time work during their formative years, who looks after them? Are you happy for strangers to bring them up, who do this for money?

Would you prefer that the mother of your children lives in such an impoverished household that your children suffer the well known effects and outcomes that come from poverty?

Why don't you ask for custody of your children if you think that raising them involves a lot of sitting around on the sofa?

Some lone parents achieve this status because their partner has abandoned them or died.

Many people who study do so for the love of the subject or with the aim of achieving a higher income. It may be the case that they end up paying more taxes but no-one I know has enrolled in FE/HE because they want to contribute more to the public purse.

to be honest I don't really want to keep replying trying to make justifications.

Firstly as detailed many times through out this thread you do not know my personal situation, nor do you know the person in question. So please refrain from challenging me on why don't I take custody etc.

Secondly, again as I keep on saying I had an interest and wanted to know - part of this was to compare my situation now with my current partner that if we had a child that we could not spend time with the child all day one of us would have to work part time and the other full time, that would mean we'd have even less disposable income, even less than this other mother in question and have all the stresses and bills to take care of. So it would actually make sense for us to stop working, or at least her to stop working and start claiming benefits, but still with me being in full time work would still be better off as wouldn't be able to claim as much as the other mother in question.

If you look back throughout the discussion you'll see I already referenced how ironic it is that in this country the policies in place and views of the government are improving children lives (I have no objection to that before you go on some whirlwind view about it).

The ironic bit being that if you live off the government as a single parent you have less stress and more disposable income than those that work full time, meaning those that actually make effort in supporting their family (which in turn support the benefits since they are paying taxes) are forced to see their own children less and have less financial support.

So in a nut shell the combination of the benefits and the CSA means that I would have to earn Circa 40k per annum, the my partner to earn 15-20k per annum just to have a similar amount of disposable income as a single mother claiming - that's the funny thing about it and was the original reason for me interest, to compare the styles of living.

So once again stop jumping to conclusions and stop trying to dig into my personal circumstance, you don't know and probably if you did know and was willing to listen probably wish you didn't know.

So thanks again for your valuable input
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport