Washing Machine Bearings?

Washing machine has been spinning very loudly for a while. Today the spin was accompanied by a loud clanking noise. This clanking noise is still evident when I rotate the empty drum by hand. So, after searching on this website, I've come to the conclusion that the bearings are going/gone.

What is the cost of repair? Early posts I read suggested around £90. If this is the case and BEARING in mind it's 8 1/2 years old then I think a replacement machine is due.

However, want to double check the cost of a bearing repair first. Anyone had this done recently? (BTW It's a Zanussi machine)

Many thanks!

Comments

• kwatt
    kwatt Posts: 711 Forumite
    The clanking is likely the drum spider broken as well as the bearings shot.

In the trade we keep telling people, when you hear rumbling get it fixed, don't wait until it collapses totally on you. ;)

In all honesty it's probably not worth repairing given the age and the fault as you will be somwhere around £90-130 depending on the spares needed to put it right. If it's really bad you'll need a heater as well as the drum spider (if that's available seperately from the drum, if not a drum will easily be about £100 itself) the bearings and a tub seal as that's a "Nexus" tub at that age.

I wouldn't TBH.

When you do go for a replacement though make sure you buy a decent machine, most of the cheap ones these days are only lasting a few years before going to the tip.

K.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. Its what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
  • sandieb
    sandieb Posts: 728 Forumite
    Thanks for your help.

It didn't rumble just clanked big time today!!!

Have noted your comments about buying a decent machine this time!
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi sandieb,

This website might help: www.washerhelp.co.uk

Pink
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    bearings are about 10 to 20 quid.
    spiders can be expensive. if a spider is required then i would more than likely replace the machine instead.
    Get some gorm.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport