Tredaire Dreamwalk 'vs' Cloud 9 Cumulus - longevity?

I'm looking for someone who has had either of these for a reasonable period of time.
If you've had it in for a week, or a month or some other short timeframe then this question isn't really for you. I'd be saying 12 months minimum but even that's pretty short so the longer the better.

After doing much googling these are the names that constantly get thrown up. There are others like the Tredaire Colours Red & Green which have been mentioned but these 2 are the ones that constantly get thrown up.

Hall, stairs & landing will be one carpet & then a different carpet for the living room.

I read some websites that rave over them, some that pan one but rave over the other & even some where both get panned.

What i'm not wanting is something that goes flat as a pancake within 5 minutes.
So for those of you who've had either of these in place -
* where did you have it (which room)
* how long have you had it in
* and how is it holding up / when did it feel like it had gone flat (if at all).

On a side note, i read one site yesterday where someone mentioned fitters not being so keen on fitting 11mm underlay & not only that but you can see the grippers showing through the carpet where it's all beefed up. Not sure how accurate that person was. Any feedback on those points?

Comments

• xyz123
    xyz123 Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    We have tradaire 11mm fitted in stairs, landing and bedrooms. That was about 4 years ago and no complaints whatsoever... With regards to fitters our ones from carpet rite didn't have any problems and certainly we don't have any gripper bars showing up anywhere....
  • Just the reply i was looking for (timeframe). Thanks for that.

Anyone else had the Cloud9 in for a while, or even anyone else with the Tredaire?
  • Well the samples from tradepriced came today.

I instantly ruled out about 4 of them & whittled it down to...

Tredaire Dreamwalk
    Cloud 9 Cumulus
    Tredaire Colours Red
    Tredaire Colours Green

The red & green are rubbery & most of the underlay i look at & the feedback suggests that people have is foam & i think so many people surely can't be wrong.

There's not a huge difference in it. The only real difference i noticed was that the dreamwalk feels more 'squishy' than the Cloud 9. The Cloud 9 is just as thick but feels a tad firmer, which i think could possibly work out better.
  • Silver-Surfer_2
    Silver-Surfer_2 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    We've got Cosi Ten, been down a while with no issues.
  • On a side note, it amazes me how many people know exactly what underlay they have.
    Nobody i know of could possibly tell you. They'd just say it's what the carpet fitter put down.
  • tb4100
    tb4100 Posts: 107 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I had cloud 9 11mil put down 7 years ago ,carpet still felt like new so new in fact just had it put down in all my rooms in my new house 8 weeks ago.
  • phil24_7
    phil24_7 Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tredait 11mm on mine. No problems with fitting using my normal bloke.

I have it in the master bedroom and my sons room and has been down for 3 years. It sounds a little...crunchy, when it first goes down but after a little while of use it stops.

I have a thick carpet on top of it and it is still feels like new and will be putting it in the remaining bedroom when I renovate it. I wont be using it on my stairs as I want to get something like the Axeminster felt for that as I'm not 100% sure how it would hold up in a high traffic area.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    On a side note, it amazes me how many people know exactly what underlay they have.
    Nobody i know of could possibly tell you. They'd just say it's what the carpet fitter put down.
    All I know is the fluffy wool stuff is so much better than the smelly rubber stuff.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Here's a question for you guys since i'm not 100% sure whether i'm having a particular product pushed my way or not....

Like i said, the Tredaire Dreamwalk felt softer/squishier than the Cloud 9 Cumulus.

Tradepriced informed me that the Dreamwalk has a higher density (which they said offers better performance & higher level of support). So they're telling me the Dreamwalk is basically the better underlay.

Tredaire Dreamwalk: 110kg m3
    Cloud 9 Cumulus: 100kg m3

That's what they told me. I was surprised because i would've expected the Dreamwalk to be firmer, not softer.

Tradepriced have been very helpful so far, but i understand they have products to sell & can be influenced by how much profit they make on certain products. I know how all that side works.

But then when you do a spot of googling....

https://flooringmegastore.co.uk/underlay/

Dreamwalk: 110kg m3 (so same so far)
    Cloud 9 Cumulus: 113kg m3 (hmm? That's just jumped 13kg over what tradepriced said.

So do a spot more googling.....

http://www.underlay.com/assets/downloads/cloud9cumulus.pdf

Cloud 9 Cumulus:
    Core Density: 100kg m3
    Product Density: 113kg m3 (the plot thickens)

So what's the difference between core & product density?

A little bit of final googling:

http://interfloor.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/08105435/Dreamwalk-TREDAIRE-TS.pdf

Dreamwalk:
    Nominal Density: 110kg m3 (at least this is consistent)

So there's core, product & nominal??

I know some will say i'm looking at it too much but let them say that. If i was shelling out a few quid then yeah perhaps, but when i'm shelling out a few £100 which will be a decision that'll be in place for a number of years then i'll do all the reading that i need to before i part with the money :)

phil24_7 wrote: »
    Axeminster felt
    Heard great stuff about this but when googling it i can't find it. Even tried eBay & couldn't find it so i don't even know what price we're talking.
  • Silver-Surfer_2
    Silver-Surfer_2 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    On a side note, it amazes me how many people know exactly what underlay they have.

I only know as I have an off cut I use as a kneeling pad when I paint the skirting.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure