PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Food bill nightmare!

We have a distinct lack of cash especially this month and I wondered if anyone could recommend any very cheap tasty meals we could try. We usually shop in Aldi's and Sainsburys and our food bill is anywhere between 70-90 per week for 3 (2 older kids at boarding school). We need to get it down to around 30-40 per weeks which reading some posts of this forum is doable but how? We have been doing meal plans for years and shopping lists, we don't eat extravagently buy a lot of basics ranges but I guess some things are quite expensive for example - soya milk for breakfast cereal which we are going to have to stop this month, Jordans country muesli - £1.94 for a pack - we go through 2 per week (anyone got any cheaper alternatives?)
I was just wondering what advice anyone might have or any cheap recipies. I would REALLY appreciate it.
Many thanks
Debtfree JUNE 2008 - Thank you MSE:T

Comments

• Rachel85
    Rachel85 Posts: 370 Forumite
    Try planning meals over two weeks, that way you can take advantage of BOGOF offers and larger packs which can (but not always) work out cheaper and then put things in the freezer.
    There is no such thing as a free lunch. Its only free because you've paid for it.

Noone can have everything they want and the sooner you learn that the better.

MSE Aim: To have more "thanks" than "posts"! :T
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    There are some great cheap meal ideas on this thread:

Menu Planning Tips
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,822
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Why not have porridge or boring own bran flakes.

Value porridge is about 35p in most places. And I have bran Asda own brand flakes and they are 71p for 750g.

Rather than buying brands try sainsburys own label of the same item. Price wise there will be a difference.

I know a lot of people rave about Lidls/Aldis breakfast cereals. Never had them myself.

Base meals around pasta/rice and veg and then add the meat after.

I manage a £100 a month on Food only for two. That does include joints of meat that we have on a sunday. Freeze the left overs for the eating during the following weeks.

You only mentioned breakfast. What sort of things do you eat for lunch and tea.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • rchddap1
    rchddap1 Posts: 5,926 Forumite
    As far as museli goes I'm sure somewhere on the forum there was a few tips on how to make it yourself. If only I knew where....
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 :eek: Now seemingly a normal little monster. :beer:
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
  • oldMcDonald
    oldMcDonald Posts: 1,945 Forumite
    I guess some things are quite expensive for example - soya milk for breakfast cereal which we are going to have to stop this month

Asda sell own brand organic unsweetened soya milk for about 64p a litre, far cheaper than Alpro etc.

Hope this may be of some help to you rather than have to give it up this month.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi rchddap1,

There are some recipes for museli on this thread: Breakfast Cereals

Pink
  • rchddap1
    rchddap1 Posts: 5,926 Forumite
    I knew they were around somewhere thanks
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 :eek: Now seemingly a normal little monster. :beer:
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Oh my goodness! £25-30 should be enough. Thats what I spend for 3 kids and 2 adults.
    I am biting my tongue, all the debt, boarding school...
    Pleased to see you had your lightbulb moment!

Make your own muesli, or have it less often. Tesco value porridge is healthy, and VERY cheap.
    Even if you buy economy ranges, if you get 'unnecessary ' things it soon adds up. I class the unnecessary things as pop, crisps, biscuits, sugary cereal, tinned soup, readymade pies, in fact anything readymade ;)
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    themaccas wrote:
    We have a distinct lack of cash especially this month and I wondered if anyone could recommend any very cheap tasty meals we could try. We usually shop in Aldi's and Sainsburys and our food bill is anywhere between 70-90 per week for 3 (2 older kids at boarding school). We need to get it down to around 30-40 per weeks which reading some posts of this forum is doable but how? We have been doing meal plans for years and shopping lists, we don't eat extravagently buy a lot of basics ranges but I guess some things are quite expensive for example - soya milk for breakfast cereal which we are going to have to stop this month, Jordans country muesli - £1.94 for a pack - we go through 2 per week (anyone got any cheaper alternatives?)
    I was just wondering what advice anyone might have or any cheap recipies. I would REALLY appreciate it.
    Many thanks

we spend between £45 and £55 per week for 2 adults and 2 children aged 10 and 4

we used to spend about £80 !! but that was with a lot of convenienece foods and loads of cleaning products too

what are you buying for it to be so expensive?!!! a lot of meat? junk food? cleaning products "treats" etc ?

try cutting down on cleaning products as they are expensive and all add up

maybe try a new "value" product every week

if you like it carry on buying it,if you are not impressed you dont have to buy it again

we now use value toilet rolls (instead of tesco own)and tesco own washing powder (instead of 2 in 1 bold etc)mixed with soda crystals which makes quite a saving !

I dont buy any fangled cleaning products anymore either eg i used to love fairy power spray but soda crystals 52p per pkt cleans burnt on food pans / oven shelves etc just as good but for much less !

its all about finding a balance i guess,some things you are willing to comrpomise on and others you dont / wont

good luck :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport