PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

No shopping for a year...

Options
... an interesting article on 'you and yours' yesterday - listen here (and click on 'you and yours' for wednesday).

These journalists decided to try buying NOTHING unnecessary (including prepared food) for a year - one reason she mentioned was an $8k credit card bill even though she 'didn't think of herself as someone who shopped'.

I love finding things like this to listen to!

Steph

Comments

• Erosgirl
    Erosgirl Posts: 100 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I listened to this and found it interesting, but I have generally lived frugally since I first married when my husband kept me short. After 19 years I remarried and my present husband is a gem. We are both on Incapacity benefit and my husband also claims Disability Living Allowance, (I have a hearing problem and my husband is blind). Money isn't great, but we work together. My husband pays the bills and I pay for the shopping. Bills are OK because we more or less know how much they will be, but the shopping fluctuates. Before I had to think about every item I put in the shopping basket, now I have a bit more scope. Even so, I still buy the stores own brand, because after all these years I have got used to them, and to be honest I find them as good, if not in some cases better, than the branded items (Ok some I won't buy, but on the whole, and if you look at the nutrition labels, they match the expensive brand pretty good). I don't think I could change if I won the lottery. Also I am proud to say I have never been in the red, I have always lived to my means.
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I heard that and would LOVE to do the same, although I'm not a typical shop-til-you-drop consumer I think it would be a real challenge.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have her book, bought it in Florida to read on the way home. The idea is a good one but because of her way of life and interests (a journalist who loves sking and the arts) it was a bit hard to identify with her.

Saying that she did manage to pay off her credit card debt within 6 months!
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport