Taking annual leave on-site, on-call, and general boundary issues with employer

Comments

• Timpu
    Timpu Posts: 310 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    SillyOne wrote: »
    Enabling!!! I had to google it (yes...) but that is exactly it!!

>> Enablers, rather than addicts, suffer the effects of the [addict's] behavior. Enabling is “removing the natural consequences to the addict of his or her behavior".

So, the next step. What can you do to stop enabling them? Don't pick up the report colleagues can't complete, stop covering for them so they learn to fend for themselves. Let management notice what a difference you make and appreciate you.
  • SillyOne
    SillyOne Posts: 96 Forumite
    Timpu wrote: »
    So, the next step. What can you do to stop enabling them? Don't pick up the report colleagues can't complete, stop covering for them so they learn to fend for themselves. Let management notice what a difference you make and appreciate you.

Every rational bone in my brain (?!) says to do this, but I know that if we fail even once then that's it for our group.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    How well documented is the process for producing these reports that are so important?
  • baldelectrician
    baldelectrician Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 October 2016 at 8:48PM
    Every rational bone in my brain (?!) says to do this, but I know that if we fail even once then that's it for our group.

You are not your group, you cannot be accountable for their actions.

I run my own business now as I realised that my kids were getting distant with me as I was always away.
    When I worked for someone else I was away from home at 6.30am and back at 7.30 pm. Now I start at 9am and finish about 4pm with time for lunch in between.
    Now I see my kids every morning on their way to school / college

I now take 2 weeks off at Christmas and make time for family stuff.
    I had my daughter at my work today (she is 13 and off school till tomorrow), we took a long lunch and went to a restaurant for something nice.
    All in a decent day- she even earned extra pocket money from her mum to go out to an event with her brother this weekend
    baldly going on...
  • SillyOne
    edited 17 October 2016 at 8:54PM
    How well documented is the process for producing these reports that are so important?

Semi-well-documented. There are a few cases of "institutional knowledge" and some (70% at least) documented in Word document SOPs (standard operating procedures) However in the past inexperienced colleagues have complained to the boss that when they asked me how to do something I referred them in the first instance to "have you looked and followed the SOP" and apparently that was 'Not Helpful'. So no matter how well documented it is; I still have to be able to deal with everything!

Edited to add: I know that the supplied SOP provides 95% at least of the knowledge needed to do that task, the other 5% is "escalations" etc or other unexpected situations.
  • SillyOne wrote: »
    So no matter how well documented it is; I still have to be able to deal with everything!

That's your choice- you can switch your phone off

I was away with the wife last weekend and my calls were diverted to a message stating I was not available and to call back Monday- no voicemail possible
    baldly going on...
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,297 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Sounds like you might be best getting a different job with good terms and conditions and where you don't feel like the keystone - they will then have your notive period to get you to intensively train colleagues.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • SillyOne
    You are not your group, you cannot be accountable for their actions.

But I am part of the group, and if we all fail there is no future for us.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

What are the other group members doing to stop you falling.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • SillyOne wrote: »

If you were the group that's fine.

Sometimes people need to fail- he who never failed never learnt a lesson

People need to learn from their failure

As things stand you are essentially acting like a director (assuming the hassle and responsibilities) without the remuneration or respect.

Keep working like this and you are on the road to poor health and burn out.

What would happen if a loved one was unwell and you had to take 2 weeks off?
    baldly going on...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport