Halifax PPI Help Needed

hammersfaniow
hammersfaniow Posts: 116 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 13 February 2018 at 2:33PM in Reclaim PPI & other insurance
I recently made a PPI claim against a Halifax Loan which I took out around 12/13 years ago. I gave details online and have received a 12 page questionnaire today, with 5 loan numbers on it ! I!!!8217;m assuming this means that there was PPI involved ?, as I have previously made a claim on a credit card but received a letter saying I hadn!!!8217;t actually used the card, so therefore no PPI was paid.

As the loan was sometime ago now, I don!!!8217;t have all the dates, values etc of the loan/s that I took so I can!!!8217;t give this information, I can only guess roughly when they were taken out. Would this necessarily go against me or seeing as they have loan numbers, they will use that to access the info required ?

It also asks for my policy/account number - I don!!!8217;t have any policy numbers, I!!!8217;d the account number referring to the bank account number it would!!!8217;ve been paid into ?

Apologies for the vagueness of these questions, but it!!!8217;s that long ago and it!!!8217;s taken me this long to actually realise I might be entitled to something.

Thank you in advance for any help

Comments

• You fill out what you remember.
  • Hiya, I did one not long ago for Halifax and mine had seven loan numbers on as I'd extended loans rather than there being seven separate loans if that makes sense? Just tell them what you can remember about that time.

I couldn't remember what I took some of them out for, the first one was 20 years ago and for £500, I completed what I remembered but I had remembered clearly an appointment I had in the bank in about 2002 discussing whether I needed ppi and said I had full sick pay, injury on duty and death in service benefit and I was told by that lady that I wouldn't get the loan without it so I took it out.

Some people then receive follow up calls but I never did. Halifax found in my favour about eight weeks later and I received a cheque about 10 days later.
  • Fill out the questionnaire as best you can. The loans could be within a chain of loans (ie: you consolidated one to pay off the other), so it could be very messy. Best thing to do is pull out an old CV and see what your circumstances were at the time you may have taken out these loans. Another alternative, because your case is logged, call up the Lloyds PPI number (think its 0800 161 5175) and they potentially may have dates for you...
  • Thanks for the useful replies, I’ve filled it in to the best of my knowledge, I know that I was self employed at the time the loan was taken, but also that when I changed to being employed whilst still paying the loan I was then covered by such benefits that mean if I did pay PPI then I will definitely be entitled to it back.

Fingers crossed
  • Remember, its not what your circumstances are after the point of sale (with the exception of some circumstances that you knew were likely to change), banks are more interested in your circumstances at the point of the sale. If you were self-employed when you took out a policy, the majority of policies wouldn't have been suitable for yourself. You may get a phone call to go through your questionnaire.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If you were self-employed when you took out a policy, the majority of policies wouldn't have been suitable for yourself.

Actually, the majority would have been suitable as they cover self employed fine. It is a significant minority that dont cover.

You tend to find that loan and credit card PPI have more stringent requirements than MPPI or standalone PPI.

I have just checked FOS decisions and can see that Halifax MPPI, credit card PPI, secured loan PPI and unsecured loan PPI does payout with no onerous conditions and the FOS have been rejecting the "self employed" reason when raised with against those products.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Yes to some extent this is true. A lot of Halifax policies were onerous. It really depends on the literature and the key words. If the customer ever got them is a different story...
  • I’m not sure what it will come back as regarding self employment, but the savings and personal insurance cover which I have stated on the questionnaire will automatically deem the PPI as unsuitable for sale at that time, if indeed there actually was any applied to the loan, it was that long ago !

We wait and see....
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    but the savings and personal insurance cover which I have stated on the questionnaire will automatically deem the PPI as unsuitable for sale at that time

Savings level tends to be around 1-2 years income. i.e if you earn £25k a year then your savings need to be around £50,000 for it to be high enough. If you had say £5000 then its not enough.

The savings level tends not to work with loans as generally, people with sufficient savings do not take out personal loans.

Alternative personal insurance only impacts on advised cases and not non-advised.

Single premium added to debt loan PPI tends to get upheld more often than not. So, whilst those reasons may not apply, there is a good chance it will still succeed. If you had it.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 19 February 2018 at 4:50PM
    automatically deem the PPI as unsuitable for sale at that time, if indeed there actually was any applied to the loan, it was that long ago !
    I'm frankly amazed that you are able to provide detailed reasons for mis-sale, but you are not even aware of whether you even had the insurance! :eek:

Your savings and other insurance will not "automatically" indicate that any PPI was unsuitable I'm afraid.

However, the five loan numbers you've been provided by the bank might indicate a consolidation chain of loans. If this is the case and any PPI was front loaded for each then I'd say you have a very good chance of success.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure