Getting out before the 12th

Comments

• Sambella
    Sambella Posts: 417
    I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    Traditionally the Twelth fortnight was when the locals took their annual holidays but it is dying out now. Businesses often shut down for this period too.

There isn't always trouble, tensions have been rising this year however over the bonfires on the 11th night.

Some find it offensive and some find it a fun day out as they don't go deep into it and some are die hards who take it all too seriously.

If they want to preserve the day for the future it should probably be made more inclusive somehow.

We get two days off work for it so there's always an upside lol

Many people do not go to watch the bands regardless of their tradition and instead choose to maybe potter around in their gardens or something. If there ever are riots you wont find them happening in every street throughout Northern Ireland but concentrated in the areas where the traditions clash usually.
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,613
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 10 July 2017 at 2:58PM
    Several 100k, bit of an exaggeration a few thousand at most and I've only came across one marcher and that was above on this thread, Cotta?

Well, for someone new to the country, you've got some remarkably fixed views. Thought you weren't aware of the situation and you needed advice, but now you're prepared to argue? Bit of a fraud, aren't you?

Anyway, as a hard core money saver ( aye, that's what this website is about, remember?), it pains me to see several centuries worth of firewood go up in one night. Colossal bonfires which of course have been built by a few dozen enthusiasts, at the very most. Energetic lads, aye?

"I've only came." A grammatical gaffe associated with the true gob!!!!!, and not one I've met outside our dear homeland. Oh, well. Keyboard warriors.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,452
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Sambella wrote: »

If they want to preserve the day for the future it should probably be made more inclusive somehow.

The Orange Order do pitch it these days as a family fun day out. Which it is for a lot of people.

Sadly, decades of entrenched viewpoints here mean its unlikely to return to the more all encompassing event it once was.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,452
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Well, for someone new to the country, you've got some remarkably fixed views. Thought you weren't aware of the situation and you needed advice, but now you're prepared to argue? Bit of a fraud, aren't you?

Anyway, as a hard core money saver ( aye, that's what this website is about, remember?), it pains me to see several centuries worth of firewood go up in one night. Colossal bonfires which of course have been built by a few dozen enthusiasts, at the very most. Energetic lads, aye?

"I've only came." A grammatical gaffe associated with the true gob!!!!!, and not one I've met outside our dear homeland. Oh, well. Keyboard warriors.

Funny i saw the big bonfire off the westlink this morn on the way to the airport - all stacked up with perfectly usable palettes and i did think what a waste of good usable product. Its a shame really.

Maybe Loyalists need to go green? ;)
  • saverbuyer
    saverbuyer Posts: 2,556 Forumite
    Guys, this is classic trolling here.

We've seen it before with hurricane, shaz77,former_student. It's obviously the same poster. Just ignore. They drop in and out with new usernames.
  • SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    You'll be alright, the media only reports on the "scum" and hence it looks far, far worse than what it really is. The vast majority of protestant people are normal, peace loving and rational. So are the vast majority of Catholics for that matter. For this reason there's not that much fighting in the streets, if any. If you happen to be in Belfast or anywhere there is a big parade on you might enjoy it if you go to watch. There will be a sea of Union Flags, so probably better not to remark what a quaint Irish tradition this is... it's firmly the British side of the community celebrating. Ironically of course they are celebrating something that happened in a foreign country, a country they claim is nothing to do with them, but this really is a land of many paradoxes.
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,613
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I was eating a pizza last night and a bit of hot cheese burnt my palate. That's as far as it goes for me.

When parades are limited to their own areas, and this applies to both sorts of course, they're a fun day out. Scarva on the 13th attracts many thousands (not just a few) and has a very mellow party atmosphere on a nice sunny day, a bit like Slane or similar, with no trouble at all. That's of course because it's a Protestant district.
    Eventually, I'd expect all parades to be kept away from contentious districts. We can live in hope. Or we could rant on the internet.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • Cotta
    Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
    I was eating a pizza last night and a bit of hot cheese burnt my palate. That's as far as it goes for me.

When parades are limited to their own areas, and this applies to both sorts of course, they're a fun day out. Scarva on the 13th attracts many thousands (not just a few) and has a very mellow party atmosphere on a nice sunny day, a bit like Slane or similar, with no trouble at all. That's of course because it's a Protestant district.
    Eventually, I'd expect all parades to be kept away from contentious districts. We can live in hope. Or we could rant on the internet.

Disagree respectively, one of the best Loyal Order parades is in the Nationalist Londonderry/Derry. It's about education and mutual respect rather than having ghettos.
  • Sambella
    Sambella Posts: 417
    I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    Agreed.

Theres even the odd parade in the Republic of Ireland still !
  • Cotta
    Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
    Sambella wrote: »
    Agreed.

Theres even the odd parade in the Republic of Ireland still !

Drum, Rossnowlagh and Raphoe.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport