Las Vegas guide and MSE thread 2017

Comments

• Brats64
    Brats64 Posts: 465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    stoneman wrote: »
    We did N/Y for the first time last year (although I'm from Philly, never been to N/Y) found it dirty and expensive. Did all the stuff worth doing in 2/3 days then headed south to my homeland. Ahh, bliss.

Oh dear...After many trips to Vegas,my wife finally convinced me we should try NY.We head there and New Orleans next weekend.
    The "expensive" I already get...hotel prices ridiculous,but don't like the sound of dirty.:o
  • bobbyhibs
    bobbyhibs Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    stoneman wrote: »
    We did N/Y for the first time last year (although I'm from Philly, never been to N/Y) found it dirty and expensive. Did all the stuff worth doing in 2/3 days then headed south to my homeland. Ahh, bliss.

hi

pretty much agree with regards it being exspensive.I found it so so in regards dirty i recall seeing alot of rubbish (or should i say trash?) , like 8-9 bags pilled up on some of the sidewalks( not all the time though)

Brats64- unsure if it ll help you much , but there is a new york thread similar to this vegas thread somewhere here on MSE. I think try to walk alot instead of getting taxi's all the time.If you and the wife do myvegas there are a few rewards for new york( sadly i think it is for shopping but still something) I think it is for queens -though i ve not done these rewards so know little about it - I think there were $50 or something.
    hope this helps
  • dontone
    dontone Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Brats64 wrote: »
    Oh dear...After many trips to Vegas,my wife finally convinced me we should try NY.We head there and New Orleans next weekend.
    The "expensive" I already get...hotel prices ridiculous,but don't like the sound of dirty.:o

We did NY 6 years ago. We stayed in Times Square (it was a competition win, which included 24 hours in San. fran. 3 nights Yosemite Park - beautiful place, and 2 weeks in Vegas) but I found TS a bit too crowded and a bit stinky. It was better getting out of the way and going to Central Park ($50 for a ride on one of those horse carriages :eek: - and those horses did pong, so that was a no-no) We also went to the 911 museum, and had a go on the Staten Island Ferry. The best way to see everything was going on one of those 'hop on, Hop Off' buses and that way you get a guide, and also we got tickets for the Empire State Building thrown in (dunno if that's included now) We didn't reckon much to some of the places that were recommended to us to go for something to eat.
    I'm glad we went, we saw some great places, but I don't think I'd go again. I'm much happier in Vegas. NY doesn't feel as welcoming or as friendly as LV.
    BTW, depressed, as this weekend last year, we were on our way over there. This year, we are stuck at home, and the weather is pants :(:(. Have a good time though.
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin':T :j
  • lizzielie
    lizzielie Posts: 1,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks Stuie and Steven for fab trip reports! Although your piccies and stories really now makes me want to go back asap, even if it just over a week since we got back home :( Our next trip is planned for NYE's, but that really seems like a long way away..

Will try to do a trip report soon, but jet lag hit me hard this time.. 2 days after coming home..
  • lous_2
    lous_2 Posts: 110 Forumite
    Hey. Looking at booking about 5 nights, traveling from London some time around September 1st. Am I best to try to book a package deal last minute, for best prices?
  • dontone wrote: »
    We did NY 6 years ago. We stayed in Times Square (it was a competition win, which included 24 hours in San. fran. 3 nights Yosemite Park - beautiful place, and 2 weeks in Vegas) but I found TS a bit too crowded and a bit stinky. It was better getting out of the way and going to Central Park ($50 for a ride on one of those horse carriages :eek: - and those horses did pong, so that was a no-no) We also went to the 911 museum, and had a go on the Staten Island Ferry. The best way to see everything was going on one of those 'hop on, Hop Off' buses and that way you get a guide, and also we got tickets for the Empire State Building thrown in (dunno if that's included now) We didn't reckon much to some of the places that were recommended to us to go for something to eat.
    I'm glad we went, we saw some great places, but I don't think I'd go again. I'm much happier in Vegas. NY doesn't feel as welcoming or as friendly as LV.
    BTW, depressed, as this weekend last year, we were on our way over there. This year, we are stuck at home, and the weather is pants :(:(. Have a good time though.

We went to NY 11 years ago and felt the same as you - very glad to have been and seen it for ourselves but it's our least favourite of everywhere we've visited in the US. Florida, San Francisco and Las Vegas are all so much friendlier and more relaxed. Appreciate we're in the minority though - the vast majority of people I know who've been there absolutely love the city
    "Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want now"

MFW: Mortgage Cleared!!! 14 1/2 years early :D
  • markh1965
    markh1965 Posts: 78 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Going to vegas in july.taking the halifax clarity card with me.is it better to get the receipts done in sterling or dollars?
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    lous wrote: »
    Hey. Looking at booking about 5 nights, traveling from London some time around September 1st. Am I best to try to book a package deal last minute, for best prices?

Try looking on BA Holidays web page for prices,sometimes you can get a better price than flight plus hotel booked separately
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Brats64
    Brats64 Posts: 465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    markh1965 wrote: »
    Going to vegas in july.taking the halifax clarity card with me.is it better to get the receipts done in sterling or dollars?

Dollars....always pay in the local currency.It will always be a better rate.
  • lous_2
    lous_2 Posts: 110 Forumite
    Got a good deal with BA before but they're pricey on this occasion.

Do you guys ever stay in another city before Vegas? Wondering whether to fly elsewhere to see more places on the trip (perhaps helping with the long flight too by splitting it up a bit)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure