The Great 'Hotel staff, tell us how to get upgraded' Hunt

Comments

• ACID
    ACID Posts: 1,209 Forumite
    i can imagine this being a long read whereas we just want the tips lol
  • Obukit
    Obukit Posts: 670 Forumite
    Working in a hotel myself, the best way NOT to get upgraded is to cheekily ask for it - this is a great way to annoy the reception staff.

The best way to be upgraded is to be cheery, and, most importantly, if the receptionist offers you loyalty membership then accept it - they will get paid commission on it, which will definitely get you a better view, quieter room etc. even if not an upgrade. If you're already a loyalty member they've likely already allocated you a "preferred" (upgrade, better view etc) room already.

Remember as well they'll generally only upgrade those paying full "rack" rates or similar, so if you've booked a promotional rate you're much less likely to be bumped up.
  • I worked in a busy citycentre hotel reception - as others have said - I didnt upgrade those who asked - I would upgrade'nice' cheery people, thos who we're polite, but only if I knew we were quiet that night - sometimes if we were fully booked and had run out of standard rooms people got an upgrade out of it for free too.

I once faxed a hotel in Monaco - explaining they were due to expect a VIP businessman and to upgrade where possible - when we arrived (it was mine and OHs weekend break) we had an AMAZING room, TV in bathroom (and living room) panoramic sea views, electric blinds, jets in the shower, best upgrade ive ever blagged!!
    Trainee Wakeboarder, Fashion and celebrity devotee!
  • Forgot to add to my previous post - having a famous name can help. A friend of mine shares his name with a celebrity chef and often finds himself upgraded!
  • I actually think there's a middle way - take a smidge of Malkie76's advice and book what you want but never pay rack rate. Paying rack rate and gambling that you are more likely to get upgraded seems a bit daft when you can book the room you want through a hotels.com or similar and pay a sensible rate.

I'm always gobsmacked by how 'ambitious' hotels are with rack rates. I've attended events in very average hotels in very average places looking for £150+ a night for what I can only imagine would be a very average room.
  • maursie
    maursie Posts: 299
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    i used to work in hotels but didn't really offer upgrades . However if you are not booking a hotel and just arriving on spec, always try and barter a price for the room - if it is later in the day and there are rooms available never pay the rack rate, always offer a lower rate or ask for breakfast to be included - a hotel will always accept something over nothing,
  • elisebutt65
    elisebutt65 Posts: 3,854
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Rather than trying for an upgrade, keep an eye for a bargain. Last year I was looking for a hotel in Zaragoza and got a Junior Suite in a Melia for £79 on Opodo!! And it was huge!!!!

I'm also a member of every club going - Ambassasdor at Intercontintal which means that if there is an upgrade going, I ususally get it gratis, but I do stay at them about 10-15 times a year at various Holiday Inns, HI Express, Crown Plazas etc and sign up for all the points promotions.

And always be supernice to the receptionist:D
    Noli nothis permittere te terere
    Bad Mothers Club Member No.665
    [STRIKE]Student MoneySaving Club member 026![/STRIKE] Teacher now and still Moneysaving:D

• I dont work in the hotel industry but stay in them quite a lot.

I was allocated 2 free nights stay from a priority club so booked into a Crown Plaza hotel in London, so already onto a great thing

Booked 2 rooms for myself and parents

Upon arriving at hotel cheekliy asked for an upgrade and got 2 deluxe suites with a rack rate of £450 per night each all of £0000!!

:j:j:j
  • We've been upgraded twice, bith in US both for 'small' reasons:

1. We got an upgrade to a Suite at the Bellagio in 05 because I had a 'cute' accent!

We got to the room to find it hadn't been prepared so called down and were asked to go to dinner (this was 8pm on a Saturday, when I siad we didn't have reservations was told to go to the buffet restuarant and we'd be on the list, straight to the frront of the queue and 'dinner is on us':T

When we got back to the room the chambermaid had given us every freebie you could get, including full sized deodorants, perfume,razor (gillette 'buzzy' thing) etc, we didn't have to buy any other toiletries for the rest of our stay!

2. We booked with the Crowne Plaza in LA, but were told 2 days before leaving for our trip they were closing for a refit, after complaining we got bumped up to the Beverley Hills Hilton. When we got there the receptionist put us in a Tower Suite to apologise:T

so, speak nicely and you never know.........
    Rob
  • hr100
    hr100 Posts: 153 Forumite
    Raffles99 wrote: »
    Forgot to add to my previous post - having a famous name can help. A friend of mine shares his name with a celebrity chef and often finds himself upgraded!

HA HA That happens to my Uncle, Paul Smith checks in under a different name to a certain hotel and its the same name as my Uncle so he is always well looked after :rotfl:

I got an upgrade at the Apex in Edinburgh but my bf who had booked it stays there all the time and he is an Apex member
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure