PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.

Comments

• KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY Posts: 4,714
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    good evening all

just back from Lidl where I looked for the pollock ,,it was £2.99 so I thought I may as well get some ..have updated siggie at last,, got some cheese and mozzarella and bread flour,, then i can get some bread made..

see you soon

KAAT xx
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• angelnikki
    angelnikki Posts: 892 Forumite
    cw18 wrote: »
    my experiences of delivery from Mr T (forgot all my chilled stuff that I needed that night -- and couldn't deliver it until the next day -- so I had to drive up anyway)

If that happens you should phone customer services as they will usually give you a partial refund / money off your next order ;) sometimes they even refund the cost of the whole order for putting you out. (and let you keep the stuff that was delivered) :D
    cw18 wrote: »
    It's not a case of them sending the wrong brand though -- they're taking the value goods off the website which means they can't even be ordered :(

All the value stuff is still available to me online :confused: They have recently lowered the prices of almost all the value range so perhaps they are just updating it at your nearest store.

If its just value chopped tomatoes (20p) that you cant get why dont you try the value plum tomatoes (18p) and just chop them up in the tin, or they've lowered the prices of the own brand chopped tomatoes with herbs/with onion to 22p if you specifically want chopped the price isn't that much more than value ;)

Keep checking online, I'm sure they will become available to you again soon. ;)

MrsM I didnt declare my total for sept £360.02 / £375 GC budget / £450 actual budget from X :shhh:

Nikki x
    :A
  • Moniker
    Moniker Posts: 626
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Thanks Mrs M - i had forgotton I had posted that one. TBH, I haven't actually cooked it myself! I think you could use cream but you might need to use less as it will be more runny than creme fraiche. HTH

Moniker
  • evening all,

got some bargains this evening, passed by budgens and each time i go in on a thursday night they have rolls reduced to 29p for 3 demi baguettes, and as a pack of 3 does me and OH for lunch it's a bargain. so got 10 packs of them, 2 pints of milk and 4 wispas!!!!!!!!!!! :o

so an extra £5.84 on the total, but we don't need much this weekend, apart from OH wanting steak on saturday, so i'm going to try the local butchers out and see what i can get for us. and maybe a little more flour, i'm in a baking frame of mind.

hope your all well

ioiwe x
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,615
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    angelnikki wrote: »
    If that happens you should phone customer services as they will usually give you a partial refund / money off your next order ;) sometimes they even refund the cost of the whole order for putting you out. (and let you keep the stuff that was delivered) :D
    They refunded the delivery charge -- whoopey doo !!! And they had to refund my card for the missing items, so in the meatime I had to find the money to buy them "again", for which they gave me na-da :mad:
    angelnikki wrote: »
    All the value stuff is still available to me online :confused: They have recently lowered the prices of almost all the value range so perhaps they are just updating it at your nearest store.

If its just value chopped tomatoes 20p that you cant get why dont you try the value plum tomatoes 18p and just chop them up in the tin, or they've lowered the prices of the own brand chopped tomatoes with herbs/with onion to 22p if you specifically want chopped the price isn't that that much more than value ;)

Keep checking online, I'm sure they will become available to you again soon. ;)

Nikki x
    The value tomatoes (both whole and chopped) were both 26p in our local store on Sunday :eek: And they were still cheaper than any others on the shelf as well :confused:
    (just checked the web. value whole now showing at 16p, but still no chopped value ones -- and I hate the mess of chopping them, though I have done it before. I've had the ones with herbs before, but hubby and DS didn't like them -- they were the only thing I used in the recipe that was different to normal :( )
    Cheryl
  • evening all,

got some bargains this evening, passed by budgens and each time i go in on a thursday night they have rolls reduced to 29p for 3 demi baguettes, and as a pack of 3 does me and OH for lunch it's a bargain. so got 10 packs of them, 2 pints of milk and 4 wispas!!!!!!!!!!! :o

so an extra £5.84 on the total, but we don't need much this weekend, apart from OH wanting steak on saturday, so i'm going to try the local butchers out and see what i can get for us. and maybe a little more flour, i'm in a baking frame of mind.

hope your all well

ioiwe x
    Ssssssssssssshhhhhhh-you could have gone down Quality St and bought some Roses! Sounds like you did well-we all need a reward sometimes!
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • gtx
    gtx Posts: 305 Forumite
    hi everyone

spent £4.50 at the market on f&v and dh spent £7 something (he didn't keep the receipt:mad:) on oil so have counted that as £8 until i check bank statement.

carrot and cumin soup done and the twinks yumyum

see you all tomorrow

DFW#1062 :idea: LBM Aug 08 - :eek: DFD JUN '22
  • Julimk
    Julimk Posts: 349 Forumite
    I have had another NSD, that’s 4 in a row! :beer: I haven’t had to do any top up shopping since last weekend’s main shop.

Only buying stuff that is actually running out, checking the cupboard, fridge etc before I go, writing a list etc. have really helped me have a better idea of what I really use & stopped me buying stuff just because ...

And I used to buy small packets, as our household is only 1 ½ people! But I have been buying the big family sized ones (where they are non-perishable or will be used in time) and stuff is lasting ages & costing less.

I have been looking on the menu planning threads, as that seems to really help most people on here. But our situation is a bit odd, inasmuch that 3 days a week DD will eat at the childminder’s & I will grab a single portion of previously frozen something from a batch cook. And alternate weeks DD is with her Dad at the weekend & with her Dad for most of school hols, so it is just me then too.

There is enough in & enough from previous batch cooking to last for 3 or 4 weeks, so I think I will use that time writing out what we actually eat each day for each meal & see if there is a pattern. And then when stocks run low(ish) try & meal plan going forward.

So thanks again to everyone for the support, advice etc. :A

Juli
  • Jacks_xxx
    Jacks_xxx Posts: 3,874 Forumite

OMG I cannot imagine that quantity! Where did you put it? Well I couldn't even get that in my car so I'm safe! The most I spend on a big shop is £70 and then I can't find any room to store it.
    quote]

Well it does take an hour and a half and some serious muscle to get it all unpacked! :DBut I won't have to go again until mid November so it's worth it.

I have 4 wide pantry shelves filled with flour, porridge oats boxes of cereal, rice, pasta, beans, lentils, teabags etc plus all the canned bottled and jar goods. These are the things I go to Lidl to stock up on. They had a lot of meat on special offer last time I was there so some of that's in the freezer as well. The rest fits in the fridge and one kitchen cupboard. My hubby always stresses that it's not going to fit - but it always does. Just.:D

So hopefully, for the next six weeks (so long as I have planned correctly :rolleyes: :D ) I'll only have to buy the perishable stuff once or twice a week. It's a bit of a performance on the day as it takes about 3 hours in total but I find it simplifies my life and streamlines my budget overall.

And I bet my mother in law is having a lovely time telling all of her friends and acquaintances ALL about it!

Love Jacks xxx :D
    Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. Einstein
  • Pitlanepiglet
    Pitlanepiglet Posts: 2,129
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hmm earlier in the week I confidently said that my Tesco online still showed all the value products, having looked again I'm now not sure that this is true...from my favourites I'm missing value handwash, value lemons and value tuna flakes which show as "not available" and have been unavailable all week.

I also realise that I can't get Value Sultanas yet I'm sure I've seen these instore?

Might have to force myself to actually go to the Tesco store to see what isn't appearing online so that I can moan about it! If Tesco are deleting value products from their online systems I think it will require a mass whinge!
    Piglet

Decluttering - 127/366

Digital/emails/photo decluttering - 5432/2024
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills