Money Moral Dilemma: Should I report cashier who used loyalty card on my shopping?

15678911»

Comments

• Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    walesrob wrote: »
    At the end of the day, it is theft, pure and simple. It's theft from your employer and theft from the customer.

You can't steal the same thing from two different people.
  • gaving7095
    gaving7095 Posts: 168 Forumite
    Yikes! The group consensus here is rather harsh, I feel, for somebody on minimum wage working a pretty rubbish job for what will inevitably be a pretty rubbish employer (take it from me - retail SUCKS as a career).

My opinion is that somebody should get those points. These days pretty-much every loyalty card can be supplied in keyfob form - which is pretty hard to leave the house without - or even via a free smartphone app. If you have a card but not in these forms then more-fool-you, especially when you then go ahead & forget the "full-size" card anyway.

SO if you've forgotten your card in our hypothetical scenario, I think it HIGHLY likely that those points would have gone unclaimed - how likely are you to remember to keep & bring the receipt next time?
    The supermarkets are making their money one way or another. I would personally wish for somebody to benefit from the points & a cashier working a thankless & rubbish job for my benefit would be welcome to mine.

As a final opinion, re: mention of calling the police - this just goes to show how small-minded & hateful the retail establishments are. "Serious fraud" over loyalty points. Boy, some people are in serious need of a reality check. Nothing has been "stolen", in my opinion.
    But that's just it - I would personally always root for the little guy.
    I'm sure the police have better things to do such as mis-accusing people of speeding, not finding out who broke into our house or my mate's car ;-)
  • bigmantam
    bigmantam Posts: 11 Forumite
    I have been told today that I can know longer exchange clubcard vouchers to shop online for clothes. Can anyone confirm.
  • tallgirld
    tallgirld Posts: 484
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Ha Ha that's cheeky! That's as bad as the people that push me through the barriers on London Underground so they can get through without paying on my ticket!

I personally would not report her but if you are really bothered by it then query it.
  • Exile_geordie
    Exile_geordie Posts: 5,094 Forumite
    penarthian wrote: »
    If she made 50p from your transactions and did a similar 20 on the day that's £10 each day she works. An excellent return but it's fraud and I doubt if she is the only one in that shop doing it.
    I think I might go through her till again and any repeat I would report immediately.

As I am late on this whole thread Ill just put up something to counter this - loyalty cards record everything yes? So there is no way that the actions of someone getting £10 of points a day would pass them by.

Not only that but every transaction in such a short period of time to the same card by the same cashier(it registers all the info) would have been brought up a long time ago.

And for that I cant see how she was doing this for personal gain unless she had multiple cards but evern then they wouldve noticed.
    Dont rock the boat
    Dont rock the boat ,baby
  • burnoutbabe
    burnoutbabe Posts: 1,338
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I had someone do this to me in a store.

Luckily, I was mystery shopping them that day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure