Working for less than minimum wage (after expenses)

Hi, I did a quick search and couldn't find something similar, sorry if it's out there.
This is my first genuine post, long time MSE lurker but never got around to signing up until now.

I've recently (3 weeks) started work as a domicilary care assistant, that's caring for clients in their own homes, for minimum wage. After doing a lot of budgeting and maths I've come to the sad conclusion that I'm worse off for money now, than I was on JSA.

I am a walker, so I can't physically do more than 25 hours a week. It is necessary that I have a bus pass or I would not be able to attend most of my calls on time/at all. I would not find any issue with this, if It didn't mean that I was paying to attend work. I am to be given a travel allowance at the total of 10p per call (most calls are half an hour but some of 45 minutes) totalling at little over £4 a week, it doesn't cover the cost of my bus pass. With this and using my phone/credit also being necessary. I am actually earning less than minimum wage after having to pay out these expenses (£20 on my mobile so far this month - but including personal usage too)

Sorry about the long winded poorly written paragraph but I'm really quite desperate for some advice. I am going to be sacrificing my days off for job searching (I don't want to sound ungrateful for my job, but it's put me in a not so favourable position) to try and find a better paid job that I could do more hours in. However as I will be getting less money than I got on JSA to cover my food/and everything else I really could use some pointers.

I have to be off to work now so I wont be able to reply until later, thank you for reading though, and thanks some more if you're able to help. :o
Debt Starting: £1995 | Current Debt: £1105
Rainy Day ISA £0 - had to emergancy empty :(
Say no to TV Licencing

Comments

• tonyh66
    tonyh66 Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Ynayesta wrote: »
    Hi, I did a quick search and couldn't find something similar, sorry if it's out there.
    This is my first genuine post, long time MSE lurker but never got around to signing up until now.

I've recently (3 weeks) started work as a domicilary care assistant, that's caring for clients in their own homes, for minimum wage. After doing a lot of budgeting and maths I've come to the sad conclusion that I'm worse off for money now, than I was on JSA.

I am a walker, so I can't physically do more than 25 hours a week. It is necessary that I have a bus pass or I would not be able to attend most of my calls on time/at all. I would not find any issue with this, if It didn't mean that I was paying to attend work. I am to be given a travel allowance at the total of 10p per call (most calls are half an hour but some of 45 minutes) totalling at little over £4 a week, it doesn't cover the cost of my bus pass. With this and using my phone/credit also being necessary. I am actually earning less than minimum wage after having to pay out these expenses (£20 on my mobile so far this month - but including personal usage too)

Sorry about the long winded poorly written paragraph but I'm really quite desperate for some advice. I am going to be sacrificing my days off for job searching (I don't want to sound ungrateful for my job, but it's put me in a not so favourable position) to try and find a better paid job that I could do more hours in. However as I will be getting less money than I got on JSA to cover my food/and everything else I really could use some pointers.

I have to be off to work now so I wont be able to reply until later, thank you for reading though, and thanks some more if you're able to help. :o

I dunno what this means I am a walker, so I can't physically do more than 25 hours a week.

10p per call is a bit tight though, are they all close together, if you were using a car would you be getting more?

Why are you using your mobile, and if you are using it for work you should be getting expenses for it.

I guess you could also claim travelling expenses?

I take it you are on NMW and the expenses are taking you below?
  • Ynayesta
    Ynayesta Posts: 83 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler
    edited 6 December 2012 at 10:31PM
    Yes, sorry if I wasn't very clear. Because I'm walking rather than in a car it takes me a lot longer to get between calls so I can't actually do any more hours I'm working a 16ish hour day (with travel) but actually working for 6 of those hours.

I would apparently be getting more if using a car, 10p is a fixed rate they give to walkers. I'm using it to call the office/manager about work only related stuff yes. It's essential so I did wonder about this and if I should be getting expenses however I was told because it's Pay as you Go that it 'doesn't qualify'. Does anyone know if this is correct?

The 10p per call is the travel expenses, they say that's what they give to everyone and there's "no need" for more.

___

Some of them are 15 minute walks, some of them are half an hour + on the bus or over an hour walking. The rota isn't very consistent.

Yes sorry, that's what i tried to explain. I'm on NMW but the expenses are taking me below.

Thanks for your response.
    Say no to TV Licencing
  • SarEl
    SarEl Posts: 5,683 Forumite
    I may be wrong but this type of work is generally only clocked as time on the client site with maybe a short period of allowance for between calls. So your "walking time" probably isn't "on the clock" and therefore isn't counted as working hours.

I'm afraid it is common practice that if you can't prove your call costs with a bill then employers won't pay them.
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    i'd make a note of any queries during the day and e-mail them to them in the evening as it will save on calling costs, plus it gives you a record
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • sweetilemon
    sweetilemon Posts: 2,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Not much advice other than continue your plan of finding a more suitable job, however could you try to reduce your mobile costs? Virgin mobile do rolling contracts, 30day contract so if it doesnt suit you can cancel after on month. They do packages from £7 per month. I have the £12 one, 1200mins 1GB web and Unlimited texts.
  • gibson123
    gibson123 Posts: 1,733 Forumite
    It does sound a lot of time and a lot of work for little return, well done for persevering, I admire you for doing this job, but you really need another job, sorry I don't have better advice.
  • Could you use a bicycle instead of walking? that would speed you up between visits and let you do more, making it all more worthwhile.
    Cash not ash from January 2nd 2011: £2565.:j

OU student: A103 , A215 , A316 all done. Currently A230 all leading to an English Literature degree.

Any advice given is as an individual, not as a representative of my firm.
  • tonyh66
    tonyh66 Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It sounds like you need to find another job, you cannot be doing this for NMW. Try to find another job while working in this one, and if you get interviews be honest about why you need to move on.
    Good luck im sure you will find something, it sounds like you have you head screwed on and work hard.
  • Thank you everyone for your helpful replies. I will look into vodaphone, as that sounds a lot more suitable for me atm. I actually own a bicycle but am not yet in good enough health to guarantee i'd be able to make calls on time. Unfortunately most calls i've had to make to the office have been 'emergancies' as in must be reported immediately, they also call me while i'm in calls (so I can't answer) and ask me to call back asap, so I have no idea how important it usually is, and it tends to be emergancy cover.

Yep time is only clocked with client and 10p travel allowance to each call. Producing a bill, I think that might actually be possible, I'll call my provider up and ask if they can get me an itemised bill, but if there's a fee attatched to it I think I'll ask my employer about it first.

Thanks all you've been very helpful. :o:D
    Say no to TV Licencing
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Ynayesta wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for your helpful replies. I will look into vodaphone, as that sounds a lot more suitable for me atm. I actually own a bicycle but am not yet in good enough health to guarantee i'd be able to make calls on time. Unfortunately most calls i've had to make to the office have been 'emergancies' as in must be reported immediately, they also call me while i'm in calls (so I can't answer) and ask me to call back asap, so I have no idea how important it usually is, and it tends to be emergancy cover.

Yep time is only clocked with client and 10p travel allowance to each call. Producing a bill, I think that might actually be possible, I'll call my provider up and ask if they can get me an itemised bill, but if there's a fee attatched to it I think I'll ask my employer about it first.

Thanks all you've been very helpful. :o:D
    Personally, I don't the job will ever be worthwhile. I wouldn't do it and unfortunately I would have to return to JSA as it pays more and my living comes before my moral duty to work and not claim benefits. You can quit a job if it pays less than NMW without being sanctioned.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure