Hypothetical Dilemma

Hello, I have a debt diary but decided to ask this question on this board.

My employers haven't given its employees a pay rise in 2 years , but this year they feel able to negotiate a 3 yr deal. One of the options is that I will receive £2000 in my salary probably in April.

Now my dilemma :

1. Do I save it in my emergency fund.
2. Do I pay it off my 0% credit card which would clear the smallest one.
3. Do I split it in 3 into savings , repay some of the debt and the other 3rd treat myself.

What would the experienced MSE's do ?

Comments

• MrsPorridge
    MrsPorridge Posts: 2,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    If it was me I think I would try and clear one of my debts - the smallest CC as you have mentioned.
    Debt free and Keeping on Track
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    So long as you have room for treats in your current budget then I wouldn't use any of it on that.

All my debts are 0% at the moment (apart from the car and mortgage) - I'm about to probably get a windfall that will clear all my 0% debts. To me that is so significant that I can't event contemplate NOT doing it... I know they're not costing me any thing and won't until I could pay them off naturally, but the feeling of finally being debt free is something I'm so bloody chuffed about :) I then plan on sticking a significant amount in savings as I'm used to doing without it already :)

However it really is horses for courses here - there is no "every solution fits all" - if you think you're more likely to go off the rails if you don't have a little treat, then have a little, planned, treat :)
    If you are more likely to spend money in savings then pay it off the cards. If you know you'd only use it in an emergency then stick it in savings until either your 0% comes to an end or an emergency occurs.
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I would go with option 3.

As i`ve known a few "Cumbria lasses" and they dont like to be boring !!!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Keep it in savings until the first 0% balance ends, then pay that off.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks for the replies so far .
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    I think most of us would say pay it off the debt. Personally beyond a reasonable emergency fund I see no point in saving until debt is paid off and treats should be budgeted for monthly and bigger treats saved for when the debt is gone.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Well if all your debt is at 0% then the money saving thing to do would be to put the £2000 into a high interest current account and only pay the minimum payment on the credit card.

If the £2000 doesn't cover the debt in full then save atleast an amount each month into a high interest account (current account or regular saver/s) that will total the amount you owe when the 0% period finishes.

Once it does finish then you don't pay it off you apply for a 0% fee balance transfer card and transfer the balance. You then keep doing this until the debt is paid off by minimum payments or you are unable to get another card and you then pay off the card with the money in your savings.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Will be thinking very carefully about the money . I think it will get paid off cc though
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Pay off the credit card then treat yourself for one month with the amount you would be paying to that card then use it afterwards to either save or pay down another quicker.
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure