Personal alarm systems for old people

Comments

• if you're considering writing about this you need to consider a few factors. it's a life saving service so price though important cannot be the only factor:

- the unit needs to be reliable and robust and comply with all directive protocols - for example, are they compatible with pacemakers etc?
    - is the pendant water-resistant?
    - how long is battery life?
    - do they have a 24/7 call centre or they operate based on text messaging? if they've a call centre, where the call centre is based?
    - can other sensors be added to the unit? for example, as people get older they may not be able to press their pendant. can the system be activated automatically?
    - do they charge for the second person in the same household?

etc

A service provider called We Care Line is a good personal alarms and telecare provider. Their price is very reasonable and they give 10% discount if you pay for the whole year in advance. Also they're Trading Standards Approved.
  • There are many careline providers around probably your local council might provide such a service. I needed one for my father in law as he was diagnosed with parkinsons and dementia and it wasnt safe to leave him at home alone. We went for telecare24.co.uk as they were one of the lowest priced around and are endorsed by Dr Hilary Jones!

Have to say the service has been brilliant, we got the alarm within 24 hours and my father in law can now be left at home safe. We paid £129 for the year and that included the alarm and the response service.

Hope that helps!
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Create wrote: »
    There is an app for Android phones, available at guardianmessaging.com.
    Just what every 93-year-old, with their ubiquitous Samsung Galaxy smartphone dangling round their neck, needs.

Marked as :spam:
  • I found another company named ActiveCare that is the service leader in telehealth and personal emergency response. You can check their website too.
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 18 March 2013 at 2:57PM
    Some people use these, phones selection of relatives.
    Link
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    There is an alarming (excuse the pun) number of first time posters who are plugging products here. I assume none of them have connections to these companies.
  • longforgotten
    longforgotten Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    For the guy in an earlier post out walking the dog.......I think this phone from Age UK looks an easy phone to use

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/products/communications/mobile-phones/
  • FreddieM
    FreddieM Posts: 1,001
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    I work for a Lifeline Housing association. I both install telecare/telehealth products and monitor calls from a 24/7/365 control centre. We are members of the TSA (Telecare Services Association) This is the recognised body for looking after this industry. If I can offer any help please let me know
    If youcan lie down at night knowing in your heart that you just made someone’s day just a little bit better,you know you had a good day!!
  • Was looking for an alarm for my mother last year - did check out private companies but a phone call to social services revealed the council to be best value - they provided the equipment for free and it cost my mum £1.50 a week for the service.

She's recently moved to sheltered accommodation where the service is included in the rent - to end the old agreement we simply returned the free equipment to the council.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2010 - member 402 :)

• I am currently using the medical alert system from MyAlarmCare in Canada .It is in the form of a pendent and is simple to operate. There is a two way voice communicator in the pendent which helps us get quick medical help by pressing the pendent. Quite a useful one!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure