External Wall insulation and rough casting Warranty - Please help?

Options
Hi Guys,

I was searching for an answer to my question and came across the site advising about the Green Deal. I can't find relevant information searching on the web and I'm hoping someone can help?

I've just bought new house (West coast of Scotland) which had recently had the external wall insulation and rough casting completed. The new neighbours said this was done around March time and that it was not done as part of the green deal (the previous owner had paid for the work to be completed). However I have no confirmation on who actually completed the work.

The problem is that the stone chips on the front of the house are very loose, a gentle touch with your hand and the stones fall off. The back of the house is much better so it only seems to be an issue at the front.

I'd like to contact the contractors who performed the work to ask about warranty cover for this and to see if it actually is a problem, or if there is an expected amount of loss over the first few months, but as above I don't know who performed the work. I know that they were offering the work to other houses nearby as part of the Green Deal, so I'm not sure if I can track them down this way.

Can anyone confirm if there is a company or service who manages the contractors or the warranty? If I can supply my new address, is there a record anywhere of who done the job?

Thanks for your time folks, it's appreciated.

Mike

Comments

• ceredigion
    ceredigion Posts: 3,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Caveat emptor
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Contact your solicitor and ask what details the vendor gave during the sale. Major works like this should have sparked questions about warranties and building regulations etc.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    People do not normally go to the expense of external wall insulation, financed out of their savings, then sell the home a few weeks later. "Property developers" and dodgy builders would be typical scenarios, and factor in what was this work put on to hide?

Of course, I am not saying something is amiss, but it is something that should have received scrutiny by a thorough survey before buying the home.

Equally, I am not conversant with Scottish Buildings Regulations nor sales procedures. But check the position with regards to Buildings Regulations.
  • nobulljusttruth
    Options
    often the base coat dries to quickly (wind, warm, accelerator in the mix cos its cold) and the stones don't get chance to stick. its not an issue other than cosmetic but should be covered. Green deal operators tend to be 'sales' companies who then use 3rd party contractors who are self employed and hard to pin down. original search and deeds info should have some info. External Insulation is now popular due to grant availability but even pay as you go deals seem good by direct salesmen.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure