Not a LBM but awareness of heading towards debt crisis

Options

Comments

• LastFewSteps
    LastFewSteps Posts: 220 Forumite
    Options
    Hope you're feeling a bit better today, help will come, don't give up x

Just had a quick read through your posts to see what I've missed, well done on your jams !
    Total 15th April '15 :£12594.00 :eek:
    Total today: £
    Savings Today £1000
    Xmas Shopping £0
    Don't give up, when you've reached the bottom the only way to go is back up
  • liltdiddylilt
    liltdiddylilt Posts: 4,117 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hey you

Just been catching up. Sounds like NotNormal had a lot of ideas but you've already had them all. All this regulation around jam... crikey! And the jars are ridiculously expensive.

I am sorry you're feeling down and your mum is being insensitive. I know when I moved back home after moving out for quite a long while we all struggled to get back into a routine. The kitchen was a nightmare, my dad was continually showing me how to use the oven and hob, my mum kept coming in telling me I was cooking all wrong and got really huffy if we cooked our own dinner but didn't want to cook for me. We rubbed each other up the wrong way terribly after a while and it contributed heavily to my impulse purchase of my own house when I was just turned 19. We stuck it out 6 months, any longer and I think we would have irreparably damaged our relationship.

Maybe your mum is stuck between the above scenario, and wanting to see you better and not seeing you progress any and is taking her frustration out on you. You've not got long now until your appointment. Keep focusing on that.

And remember that if your mum and dad aren't charging you any board etc, then you are costing her money to feed and house. Maybe a bit of typing for free would be a nice thing... My mum didn't charge me anything to allow me to save so I helped by going to do the shopping, and went to see my grandparents, and did tonnes of washing and drying. I tried very hard to keep out of the way and not to impact on the household.

Hugs. It is a fine line balancing when you are back at home. I don't know anyone that hasn't really struggled with it after a while xxx
    Virtual Pot #25 £0.00/£350.00
    A black belt only covers 2 inches of your a$$ - You have to cover the rest yourself - Royce Gracie
  • themarsbargirl
    Options
    We rubbed each other up the wrong way terribly after a while and it contributed heavily to my impulse purchase of my own house when I was just turned 19. We stuck it out 6 months, any longer and I think we would have irreparably damaged our relationship.

I had myself put into care when I was 16 (it would have been sooner but for arguments between mental health inpatient services and social services). What my parents did to me growing up has had a HUGE impact on the development of my mental illness. We gradually repaired our relationship while I was in care, it was actually only a couple of years ago that I first even spent a night in the same house as them again.
    And remember that if your mum and dad aren't charging you any board etc, then you are costing her money to feed and house. Maybe a bit of typing for free would be a nice thing... My mum didn't charge me anything to allow me to save so I helped by going to do the shopping, and went to see my grandparents, and did tonnes of washing and drying. I tried very hard to keep out of the way and not to impact on the household.

Hugs. It is a fine line balancing when you are back at home. I don't know anyone that hasn't really struggled with it after a while xxx

Honestly Lilt, I'm not costing Mum money, beyond an extra potato at each meal which she buys in 25kg sacks. What upset me was her telling me that I should be giving Dad petrol for taking me to appointments and everything. Now, she usually has this whole huge thing about her money being hers to do with as she likes and Dad's being Dad's to do with as he likes. Petrol money is something that I have brought up with Dad before, suggesting that perhaps I should give him my weekly petrol budget (which incidently I bought new shoes out of to replace my worn out ones as I can't drive at the moment), and I told Mum this, adding that it wouldn't cover going back and forth to my doctors surgery and mental health appointments, that it would barely cover it from my place.

What Mum, and evidently you, don't appear to realise is that during summer months (when I'm not running the heating) the running costs of my caravan are the same whether I am there or not. I still have to pay the extortionate water bill that they've added this year next month, despite not being there or using any water at all during the quarter.

Lilt, I have no space here, I don't even have a bed, I have a mattress on the floor. Mum moves my stuff. She hides my stuff (including my medication!). Mum wanders in and out of the room they let me sleep in without asking (in a huge contrast to my Dad who asks me <and it's "his" room> before going in to get things from there).

Mum was telling me a few weeks back about how she didn't tell my Grandad much about how ill I was because he was ashamed of mental illness (he had epilepsy due to a head injury as a child and his parents didn't even tell him till he left home!), but my step-Grandmother, who I first met on their wedding day, told me that Grandad had told her all about my problems and that she was always there for a chat.

I think it's Mum that is ashamed of having mentally ill children.

I am so so angry at a health service that let it get to this point. A year ago, literally a whole fricking year ago, they were supposed to be admitting me into hospital to get me on medication and stabalised so I could go back to work. But the CHRT told me there were no beds in the country, then wrote in my notes that I declined hospital admission.

Had they actually put some early intervention in I would still have a job and some independance.

There is a world of difference between 'oh I'll move back home to save some money' and 'my parents have forced me back into their home because I am unable to care for myself and the mental health services are incapable of offering appropriate support so our daughter doesn't kill herself'.
    Credit card respend 2551.58 (15/02/17)
  • themarsbargirl
    Options
    Also Lilt, I've been unable to eat since this thing with Mum yesterday for that very reason.
  • liltdiddylilt
    liltdiddylilt Posts: 4,117 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Oh sweetheart I wasn't trying to put you down, just give you some perspective from the way things were with my parents when I moved back in. They took an awful lot of strain.

I know you have your own bills to pay and no job at the moment but what I meant by what you cost was more along the lines of what Him costs me when he is here, but has no idea about. Even a couple of nights a week I see the spike in the electricity, gas and water, from his computer and playstation taking up chunks of it, to the food etc.

Please believe me when I say, I was just trying to make sure you had a view from the other side as it took me a long time after moving out to realise how much impact I made when I felt like all I was doing was living in a bedroom with my stuff stored in the garage. I ate out every night to avoid the issues with the kitchen, which cost a fortune but saved sanity.

I'm not honestly sure, from what you have said there (and I had no idea about it) that you are in the right place for your mental health if you are living with/like that. I know you don't feel able to be on your own, but your mum seems more destructive to your mental health than being alone right now...

Big hugs and sorry if I offended you. I only know what you write hun - each post is another bit of a puzzle xxx
    Virtual Pot #25 £0.00/£350.00
    A black belt only covers 2 inches of your a$$ - You have to cover the rest yourself - Royce Gracie
  • themarsbargirl
    Options
    Honestly Lilty, the best place for me would be a hospital, where they were able to medicate me properly. I don't hold out much hope for this appointment given that last year when he saw me he tried to put me back onto old medication (that I react badly to) and wanted me admitted to get stabalised on medication, which meant referring me to CHRT (as he doesn't have the power to get people admitted). I just have very little hope or motivation atm with not having a job.

I do see things from the other side as well, I just know that if it was my daughter who I'd taken in because she was having a nervous breakdown that any thoughts of charging her board and lodging would be the last thing on my mind.

I am super stressed about the appointment on the 27th.
    I am super stressed about the inspection tomorrow.

And I am super stressed about being ill. Again. My diagnosis (and I'm not sure if I've mentioned this) is Borderline Personality Disorder and it holds a lot of stigma and discrimination just within the mental health services world, even more in the real world where people don't understand what it means in the way that they do with depression or anxiety (both of which I get as symptoms of my illness).

The funny thing is, when I was 19 I felt my mental health was slipping so I got my GP to refer me for counselling. On the assessment with the counsellor she did all the questinaires to get my score and was shocked and told me that I was off her scales....and that was on a good day when I wasn't especially unwell.
  • Levi-
    Levi- Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Mars, I didn't know you had a diary, sorry about that, but I have now subscribed.

Parents are strange creatures mate - and when you throw mental health and hyper sensitivity in to the mix, it is very often a minefield..and nobody is to blame.. it is hard whichever side of it you are coming from.
    My parents went through hell with me when my mental health problems started when I was in the last couple of years of senior school. And I know to this day they have elements of the denial, shame, hostility, whatever else.

Conversely I have a 2nd cousin who is around 40. He was married, living in Spain, couple of kids, own business, etc but a year or so ago he had a complete nervous breakdown and lost everything. He moved back to his parents in the UK, who gave him everything they could to help him back on his feet, including helping him in to his own flat, bills, clothes, meals, holidays, anything he needed. Yes, they were in a position to do so financially but I got major pangs of "why isn't that me?" when so many times I've been cast aside by my family or have it swept under the rug because it is the easier thing. I've pretty much done all of it alone because I realised the only one you can depend on is yourself. And your inner strength and the ability to count on YOU is the only thing that will get you where you need to be.

Keep going Mars. I'll keep reading. It's a tough battle but you're stronger than you know. x
    - on a mission to be debt-free by the end of 2017 - :cool:
    [STRIKE]37500 [/STRIKE] 34650
  • themarsbargirl
    Options
    Thanks Levi,

I guess you're also in the similar position to me of "man, I've suffered with this so long now! Why don't I get better like all these positive tales on the internet".

Got a few things done over yesterday and today. Planted lots of seeds (I bought the compost and Mum gave me loads of waaaaay out of date seeds she was going to throw away), had two fairly spendy days, but all within budget which is the key thing.
    Surveys appear to have almost totally dried up now the election is over. :(

Just tired, demotivated, and got some more cleaning to do before food standards agency inspection tomorrow. Such a pity it's come at a depressed time rather than a manic time.
  • Levi-
    Levi- Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I;ve gotten better before and had a few really long lasting good spells where I've felt CURED but am just aware that it will be something I have to monitor/manage for the rest of my life.

Seeds are currently the most exciting thing in the WORLD to my 4 year old, hope yours come up good :)
    - on a mission to be debt-free by the end of 2017 - :cool:
    [STRIKE]37500 [/STRIKE] 34650
  • themarsbargirl
    Options
    If mine all do come up good we will be overrun with tomatoes and courgettes and wild strawberries and green beans and cape gooseberrys and peppers!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport