AMAZON on BBC1 Undercover

Options

Comments

• k12479
    k12479 Posts: 716 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Of course they could always automate the warehouse but I guess Amazon would be panned for that as well
    Good point, which is probably lost on many people.

I recall this programme http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/7265979/Evan-Davis-on-what-would-happen-if-all-immigrant-workers-left.html where the potato packing manager was asked if they'd pay more to hire British workers and the response was no, it would be cheaper to automate instead.
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,105 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 November 2013 at 2:32AM
    Options
    I can imagine that walking ten miles a day is a lot for somebody who is used to sitting on their backside all day. 10 miles is not a lot if you are used to it - I walk at a speed of about 4 miles per hour, so could walk 10 miles in less than three hours. I would expect someone used to walking 10 miles a day would find that they would end up with a sore asre if they tried sitting down all day.

That's the trouble with people in this country - they moan when there's no work, then they moan if they get some work!
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • londonTiger
    londonTiger Posts: 4,903 Forumite
    edited 26 November 2013 at 4:20AM
    Options
    OK fair enough many warhousing jobs are comparable. Manual labour jobs are all more or less like that. The problem is when the company dos not give a damn about morale or worker satisfaction. Sees the workforce as nothing more than a machine.I thought we went through all that with the dire car manufacturing plants in the UK. Where the workers in the assembly lines were seen by managed in a similar manner where as the Germans and Japanese made every worker from every level be part of the greater vision.

The problem are many fold
    1. the set packets per hour to a high unrealistic number, nobody seemed to achieve the numbers. Everyone seemed to fall short of their 110 target. Even management were not at all surpised if workers didnt hit it and they just set personal targets and made workers aim for 10 more of whatever they were currently doing. These is clearly set up for point 3 below.

2. there is no team work what so ever, it's a solitary job and workers can't even exchange more than a couple of words. Everyone needs to be productive at every second of their shift

3. There is no job security at all, the whole model seems to be designed to get new blood into the team. Get every drop of blood out of them. They will inevitably crash and burn and rack up the points and as soon as they do, they'll be sacked.

Guy got 1/2 point for being 2 minutes late!! 2 minutes.

We are a nation of lunatics. We let these blood sucking canibalist monsters into the country. They pay no tax, they contribute nothing back into the UK, devolved governments bend over backwards and pay for their warehousing. They destroy UK industry and we let them do all that because we can buy cheap goods.
  • Denning.
    Denning. Posts: 2,749 Forumite
    Options
    AP007 wrote: »
    So all people who don't walk 8 miles a day are fat? LOL

Yeah I wouldn't use that kind of logic in an interview...
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    AP007 wrote: »
    8 miles is not short is it?

I think that 8 miles in the course of a day is about right (the government/NHS have all kinds of suggested distances for walking), but it is the other things which I have the greatest worry about.
    The points sytem is an absolute disgrace, and just shows that we are becoming more like India and China by the day.
  • GothicStirling
    Options
    Denning. wrote: »
    It is not far either, NHS guidance is to walk 10 miles a day...

Are you certain that its 10 miles and not 10 minutes?

Makes me wonder how many miles I used to walk a day waitressing in a restaurant.
  • Basil74
    Basil74 Posts: 65 Forumite
    Options
    As a postie I walk about 8 miles on a 5 hour delivery, that's out in the elements, constantly going up & down slopes and steps and with a 16kg pouch on my back (plus I've already spent the previous 3 hours of my shift on my feet sorting mail and prepping my walk) so I don't think the Amazon work was that physically demanding at all.

Having said that I wouldn't enjoy the warehouse working environment.
  • Scrootum
    Scrootum Posts: 159 Forumite
    Options
    It is the customers fault/ If you don't like the company, stop buying from them and go to a shop instead.
  • dandelionclock30
    dandelionclock30 Posts: 3,235 Forumite
    edited 26 November 2013 at 9:11AM
    Options
    Denning. wrote: »
    Yeah some reason years ago 10k = 10 miles to me.

Even so, the NHS dumbs stuff down to make it swallowable.

Of course most people don't walk 8 miles a day. That is why we are so fat. That doesn't mean walking 8 miles a day is slavery or whatever you want to paste it as.

I'm genuinely shocked that people think walking 8 miles is a serious chore, it is walking for gods sake.

Well they would have to dumb it a down a long way for you to get it.
    Honestly every time you say something, its a like a smack your forehead moment.
    10k is just over 6 miles,not 10 miles. Did you go to junior school? because thats what you do there, basic maths including weights and measures. Im sorry but you need to get a grip with the basics because you appear to really struggle.
  • Abbafan1972
    Abbafan1972 Posts: 6,894 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I didn't know this was on. I am downloading it from on demand and will watch it later.
    Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £43,915.98
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure