Re-slate roof

I live in a late 1800's mid-terrace and I want the roof re-slating (using the existing slate)

I have bee quoted £1500 for the removal, felting, new battening, and reslate, including replacement of any broken/unuseable slate

Is this a good offer.
[SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
[/SIZE]

Comments

• dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    ***bump***
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • plumb1_2
    plumb1_2 Posts: 4,395
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    dori2o wrote: »

Is this a good offer.

imo Yes, if you factour in the cost of scaffolding, and materials, labour.
  • Loobysaver
    Loobysaver Posts: 764 Forumite
    Sounds good to me especially as it is costing me £2800 to have the same done to my 3bed semi:eek:
  • never_enough
    never_enough Posts: 1,495 Forumite
    Sounds good to me too. Were they recommended to you?
    I know someone who has just paid £2,500 in Wales for a 2 bed end terrace.
    [Lucky you, I've been told it will be around £10,000 for a re-roof on my place :eek: ]
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    It actually sounds to good to be true, to me!

Scaffolding alone would be anything between £600-£1000 and natural slates work out at approx £1 each. I would check them out very carefully - will they give you references from other customers? Will they show you a sample of the slate? Is it natural slate? Imported? Guaranteed?
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • Loobysaver
    Loobysaver Posts: 764 Forumite
    It actually sounds to good to be true, to me!

Scaffolding alone would be anything between £600-£1000 and natural slates work out at approx £1 each. I would check them out very carefully - will they give you references from other customers? Will they show you a sample of the slate? Is it natural slate? Imported? Guaranteed?

If you read the original post carefully you will see that they say they are going to re-use the slates.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Loobysaver wrote: »
    If you read the original post carefully you will see that they say they are going to re-use the slates.

:o:o:o

A very good point! :D

Even so - and it depends on the size of the property - it still sounds too cheap. We paid £1000 just for scaffolding to build an extension - that was a "mate's rate" and cash! :eek:

I would just want to verify the contractor and make sure that I was not being quoted a "cowboy" price for a cowboy job! :D
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • Sobraon
    Sobraon Posts: 325
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    I tried reusing (1823) slates but when I had a close look at them I decided (not the builder) that they all really did need replacing at about 90p each for 30yr Spanish slate (ISTR)- afraid I ended up paying a lot, lot, more for the work but it included rebuilding the chimney stacks.
  • satan666wayne
    satan666wayne Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    :o:o:o

We paid £1000 just for scaffolding to build an extension - that was a "mate's rate" and cash! :eek:

I would get a new mate.
  • On the outside this looks a very good price, you didint mention the approx dimensions of the roof however ? it could be a small roof, terraced houses come in all sizes after all

I am a professional roofer and run a succesful roofing business in south cumbria, My advice would be to check the quotes fully before commiting to giving the go ahead to a contractor:

* Is it a quotation or just an estimate?
    * Is it fully written signed and dated?
    * Is the quote inclusive of vat?

Does the quote include the following:

All scaffolding
    Removal of all debris from site
    New leadwork if needed
    Breathable felt, not essential but i personally wouldnt advise not using

Can the contractor provide:
    References (ALWAYS CHECK) anybody could go through the phone book and pluck out names and addresses
    A copy of his current public liability insurances
    A home address and landline number in case anything should go wrong, again make sure you check

It is also worth asking (just to be curious!) what would be the cost for a full new roof using bought in reclaimed slates BEFORE he tells you the slates are not worth keeping and he needs to buy all new , then i would take this figure and the £1500 quote, work out the average and use that as a more realistic figure, Any less and its a bonus !

Hope that helps in some way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.5K Travel & Transport